Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 10:20 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times

Advertisements

Since I am hanging out with the younger generation lately, I think my observations are worth mentioning.

People who post multiple times are either attention seekers, lonely people, people with no friends, or people who need validation.

And I know many people now who don't have friends like my generation and up. They don't meet people anymore, they don't call them. They post stuff on social media and chit chat back and forth with people they may have never met before and maybe never will meet in person and think they are true friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 01:38 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I think that there are probably lots of different reasons. And one can get an idea from the way someone posts and what they post about.

I have a few friends who have certain difficulties in life and their posts on Facebook seem to often be related to an attempt to crowdsource some kind of help, whether that is advice or money or favors, from others. It makes me sad that some folks have it so hard that they can't afford to get a DOCTOR to tell them why they are having brutal headaches five days in a row and dizziness, so they are asking their Facebook friends instead. Or they managed to land a job but can't get there unless they find someone in the town an hour away to crash with.

Some post frequently in support of something that they are passionate about. I have animal rescue friends who share a lot about pets, either available in shelters or lost and found...and I have a friend who is actually involved in politics (worked as a staffer, still does consulting at the state level) and he posts often several times a day with things he spots that are going on in politics, which he believes people should be informed about. I trust his perspective and enjoy his posts.

I have artist friends who share their works in progress. I love that. I have friends who have new pets or new babies who are so delighted in their situation as such that they share lots of pictures and anecdotes and I love their joy. I have friends who are remodeling their homes who share updates about their projects. I think that's great, and I'm impressed by their hard work and skills! Most share things that move them, inspire them or make them laugh, and I appreciate their desire to share that feeling with others. I love to follow some of my more nomadic friends in their travels and journeys.

If I had a negative judgment or opinion of any of my friends for what they share or how often they share it, I'd hope that I would simply unfollow, unfriend, or hide their content, rather than sitting there passive aggressively judging someone while even superficially and trivially retaining them as a "friend." That seems, to me, like a pretty crappy and fake thing to do.

Old 07-28-2022, 01:41 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Since I am hanging out with the younger generation lately, I think my observations are worth mentioning.

People who post multiple times are either attention seekers, lonely people, people with no friends, or people who need validation.
I don't know... I might distinguish between people who just respond to posts and people who start thread after thread.

Old 07-28-2022, 01:44 PM

1,260 posts, read 943,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I think that there are probably lots of different reasons. And one can get an idea from the way someone posts and what they post about.

I have a few friends who have certain difficulties in life and their posts on Facebook seem to often be related to an attempt to crowdsource some kind of help, whether that is advice or money or favors, from others. It makes me sad that some folks have it so hard that they can't afford to get a DOCTOR to tell them why they are having brutal headaches five days in a row and dizziness, so they are asking their Facebook friends instead. Or they managed to land a job but can't get there unless they find someone in the town an hour away to crash with.

Some post frequently in support of something that they are passionate about. I have animal rescue friends who share a lot about pets, either available in shelters or lost and found...and I have a friend who is actually involved in politics (worked as a staffer, still does consulting at the state level) and he posts often several times a day with things he spots that are going on in politics, which he believes people should be informed about. I trust his perspective and enjoy his posts.

I have artist friends who share their works in progress. I love that. I have friends who have new pets or new babies who are so delighted in their situation as such that they share lots of pictures and anecdotes and I love their joy. I have friends who are remodeling their homes who share updates about their projects. I think that's great, and I'm impressed by their hard work and skills! Most share things that move them, inspire them or make them laugh, and I appreciate their desire to share that feeling with others. I love to follow some of my more nomadic friends in their travels and journeys.

If I had a negative judgment or opinion of any of my friends for what they share or how often they share it, I'd hope that I would simply unfollow, unfriend, or hide their content, rather than sitting there passive aggressively judging someone while even superficially and trivially retaining them as a "friend." That seems, to me, like a pretty crappy and fake thing to do.
Yes, in regards to the artists and or people sharing things they are passionate about I will agree I do enjoy seeing those. It's in moments like those I really do think the benefits of social media really come to shine, especially if it helps an artists get customers or an organization get funds/support.

Old 07-28-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:

And I know many people now who don't have friends like my generation and up. They don't meet people anymore, they don't call them. They post stuff on social media and chit chat back and forth with people they may have never met before and maybe never will meet in person and think they are true friends.
It will be interesting to see with younger generations which social media has been around before how it will be impact them later down the road, not knowing a world without social media.

Old 07-28-2022, 01:58 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
I post on social media almost every day. Facebooks being my drug of choice. lol But in general, I wait until I get home.

I like it because it's like having all my friends in one room, and we can 'touch base' with each other, be silly, etc. For me, at the end of the day, I don't need 'deep'. I just want to share pictures of my dog, tell pun jokes, see some babies, etc.

Old 07-28-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I post on social media almost every day. Facebooks being my drug of choice. lol But in general, I wait until I get home.

I like it because it's like having all my friends in one room, and we can 'touch base' with each other, be silly, etc. For me, at the end of the day, I don't need 'deep'. I just want to share pictures of my dog, tell pun jokes, see some babies, etc.
Makes sense. See for you it's more a way to keep in touch with people, rather than a self-serving purpose. That actually makes total sense.

Old 07-28-2022, 02:21 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
There are many circumstances in life that show you who your friends are.

Old 07-28-2022, 02:38 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:

I suppose I fall in that slot somewhat.

A lot of my friends are people who I DO know in person, but for whatever reason, I don't get to see them often. And I suppose I want validation sometimes, whether it's wrong or right. In my large family, even though I'm the oldest, people often talked over me, and it was hard to finish a sentence sometimes. Online, I often get to finish whole thoughts. LOL I like that.

I mostly just think of me and my friends as being in a big room together having a fun time.

Old 07-28-2022, 04:01 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
More than happy to answer!

Love having discussions with people on different topics, understand human behavior, see how people feel on certain things via polls, and for more personal posts, sometimes I need a sounding board to gain some perspective which works sometimes and sometimes doesn't work, but it gets me thinking about things in my life that I am experiencing.

Regardless of topic, the point is to have discussions.

Social media daily posting feels different from that in how people use it compared to this site. Forums like CD and Reddit are meant to usually discuss things and are anonymous for the most part. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, are usually used more for attention, not always, but a lot of times it is and rarely anonymous, quite the opposite usually.

So to answer the question I love having discussions like these (just like we are having now). I am a curious cat. Does that make sense?
All the arguments about about discussions are not that different for Fb, whereas sharing on Twitter is limited to info sharing and Instagram is great for nurturing common interests /contacts and sometimes great conversations. I follow birders ,artists , crafters , older women role models on Instagram. It can also be argued that some come here for attention and validation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology