Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 11:46 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
More than happy to answer!

Love having discussions with people on different topics, understand human behavior, see how people feel on certain things via polls, and for more personal posts, sometimes I need a sounding board to gain some perspective which works sometimes and sometimes doesn't work, but it gets me thinking about things in my life that I am experiencing.

Regardless of topic, the point is to have discussions.

Social media daily posting feels different from that in how people use it compared to this site. Forums like CD and Reddit are meant to usually discuss things and are anonymous for the most part. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, are usually used more for attention, not always, but a lot of times it is and rarely anonymous, quite the opposite usually.

So to answer the question I love having discussions like these (just like we are having now). I am a curious cat. Does that make sense?
Yes. Not liking FB myself after family members urged me to join once long ago, finding it dissatisfying, empty - seeking rather a place for relating, self-expression - cancelling FB at some point. The format of didn't appeal to me, seeking a range of topics, opinions, thoughts and a way to have a back and forth "conversation" or discussion, as it is here.

After mentioning to a relative how I preferred this, she asked "What, you are communicating with strangers??" As if it is threatening to comment anonymously and as if that does not occur on FB, where one makes friends with strangers and need to use their real names?. Then, stating that these hundreds or thousands of "friends" are those they actually know.

I will be out with family for their birthdays, and every few minutes they will interrupt our time together to say "(Joe Blow) just gave me birthday wishes!".. Sure, their information is all out there to see, so it's just prompting others to regularly remark, react. One relative doubtlessly does as you mention, having constant alerts to, seemingly it being all surface interactions, sharing everything they do and photos...(I have asked her to not include me in them..but likely does, and my not having access to, I won't know). I don't care for a bunch of on-the-fringe connections, what they ate for dinner, inauthenticity.

On CD, I come and go, sometimes here often, feeling chatty or focused upon a specific interest, then possibly not for a stretch, there being no demands. I find deep insights, comments, advice, interactions and sharing more enjoyable and can tell where one is coming from, just earlier, cracking up at some humorous poster's remarks.

Realistically, for one to get to know another enough to have a true, real-life friendship takes time, and how many deep connections will one have in their lives? In fact, while aging and not out and about developing new friendships, as lengthy ones I once maintained have faded, I would not mind having a couple of close friends nearby, which is all I would like. (I live in an apartment building where there exists gossiping, possible misperceptions or back-stabbing -ugh- wanting to keep to myself, but would like to have trustworthy neighbors as I once did).

Anyway, I get your point, OP!

Last edited by In2itive_1; 07-28-2022 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 05:26 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,515 times
How 'bout people who look up a poster's entire history?!

That strikes me as pathetic.

Someone did it to me, then quoted me (inaccurately).
It made me laugh, thinking about someone here doing a search on my name.
I think that person needs a hobby, or a pet, a friend, or an interest in life.
It is laughable, but also sad..

Quote:
....why? And I am talking about people who don't do it for their business/work, but all personal stuff.

Is it because they are lonely? Need validation? Attention? Insecure? Narcissists?

Old 07-29-2022, 05:57 AM

6,988 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Facebook brings up “memories” daily, usually pictures posted a year ago, 4years ago, etc. and sometimes I look at mine, to see what comments had been made back then. I usually only post pictures of my dog or my flowers, try to make people smile.

I have an acquaintance on FB (I know her slightly in rl) who “shares” every. single. memory. that comes up on her timeline. I’m talking like 5,6,7 times every day! Now that I don’t understand. Most of them are just random photos of her and friends or her kids. Nothing very special or noteworthy.

It is pretty easy to just “unfollow” these people though. Kinda like the “ignore” feature on CD.

Old 07-29-2022, 06:27 AM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
....why? And I am talking about people who don't do it for their business/work, but all personal stuff.

Is it because they are lonely? Need validation? Attention? Insecure? Narcissists?
My FB friends actually ask me to post more often than I do.

I guess I have an interesting life and people want me to share the details with them as often as possible. LOL

Old 07-29-2022, 08:27 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post

To be fair, it's very easy to review a poster's history. You just click on their user name in the top left corner of the post and then "find all posts from..." It does come in handy to identify troll-y folks whose history shows they aren't worth engaging with.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:42 AM

1,260 posts, read 943,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post

It does. There is one specific poster here who seems to enjoy going after me when I post in threads. To be honest, I am actually quite flattered because they are showing an interest in what I am doing and what I am posting. They actually help boost my threads because by them responding to them, actually keeps my threads on top of the lists of the forum. I wish I could return the favor but I am not on CD as much as they are. I have weeks where I am on a little more intensely (like this week) but sometimes I go weeks without even going on here. I am pretty inconsistent on CD, I have my periods where I am on here a lot and my periods where I am rarely on.

Regardless, I do agree with you that forums like CD and Reddit are different than social media like FB, Instagram. CD and Reddit are about discussions, where FB and Instagram there can be discussions but overall they are more about showing than discussing. So I agree with you, not sure why so many people are treating them as the same.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
My FB friends actually ask me to post more often than I do.

I guess I have an interesting life and people want me to share the details with them as often as possible. LOL
You know I was told that once by someone too. I use my Instagram for photography of architecture and landscapes, rarely will you see pictures of myself. Someone once told me they wished that I would post more pictures of myself, just to get a sneak peak of my life.

I suppose you can take what they told you as a compliment.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:47 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
It does. There is one specific poster here who seems to enjoy going after me when I post in threads. To be honest, I am actually quite flattered because they are showing an interest in what I am doing and what I am posting. They actually help boost my threads because by them responding to them, actually keeps my threads on top of the lists of the forum.
You too, eh?

There are others besides us who experience that as well.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Facebook brings up “memories” daily, usually pictures posted a year ago, 4years ago, etc. and sometimes I look at mine, to see what comments had been made back then. I usually only post pictures of my dog or my flowers, try to make people smile.

I have an acquaintance on FB (I know her slightly in rl) who “shares” every. single. memory. that comes up on her timeline. I’m talking like 5,6,7 times every day! Now that I don’t understand. Most of them are just random photos of her and friends or her kids. Nothing very special or noteworthy.

It is pretty easy to just “unfollow” these people though. Kinda like the “ignore” feature on CD.
I think it's people like that this thread is what I am talking about. I am legit curious the reasoning behind why they feel the need to post that much in one day. To each their own, but doesn't mean I am not curious as to the reasoning as why someone feels the need to post that much. While I view it as something negative, and call me judgmental if you want, but at the same time I am rather curious.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
You too, eh?

There are others besides us who experience that as well.
Oh good I am not alone then, haha. Wonder if it's the same one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology