Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 08:28 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
More than happy to answer!

Love having discussions with people on different topics, understand human behavior, see how people feel on certain things via polls, and for more personal posts, sometimes I need a sounding board to gain some perspective which works sometimes and sometimes doesn't work, but it gets me thinking about things in my life that I am experiencing.

Regardless of topic, the point is to have discussions.

Social media daily posting feels different from that in how people use it compared to this site. Forums like CD and Reddit are meant to usually discuss things and are anonymous for the most part. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, are usually used more for attention, not always, but a lot of times it is and rarely anonymous, quite the opposite usually.

So to answer the question I love having discussions like these (just like we are having now). I am a curious cat. Does that make sense?
Well a lot of people simply use some social media, such as Facebook, to keep in touch with family and friends spread around the country/world. I don't make phone calls to all my distant friends and siblings very often, and when we do, the question is usually "So, what have you been up to?" We use FB to show each other what we've been up to, and to share the funny, silly, aggravating, or even sad, things that happen to us. I feel a lot closer to my friends when I know what's going on in their lives day to day. It's great to be able to share a bit of beauty from where I live, knowing that many of my friends and family will never be able to visit me here, and I enjoy the news and pictures of what's going on in their part of the world. I communicate with, and feel much closer to, my friends and family with FB than without it.

I do have one or two friends who post excessively (more than 5 times a day, sometimes much more) and I sometimes filter out their constant re-posts of insipid memes about their first cup of coffee today, or photos of very ordinary looking plates of food they got at the local Denny's. These particular posters are attention-seekers, but I also know that one of them is almost a shut-in, so it's her way of reaching out to feel a connection, and I try to be understanding of that. Unfortunately she's also guilty of over-sharing family drama that's best left behind closed doors. So I get where you are coming from OP, but lots of other folks are just staying in touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2022, 12:02 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
"We're both using this social media platform, but my reasons for using it are better than yours." LOL. Human nature, I suppose.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:41 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
"We're both using this social media platform, but my reasons for using it are better than yours." LOL. Human nature, I suppose.
Well. I mean, if someone uses the platform and then complains that it's full of awful people with gross motivations, that they see it as bootlicking and ego stroking and ugh, ugh, hate it, ugh, so bad... Why are THEY there?

Those of us who are on a platform and enjoy it, are happy to say why.

Some Grandma shows up in here like "I enjoy seeing pictures of my Grandchildren" and what, we've got this or that person insisting they are no better than miss duck-lips and her "dopamine hits" addictions and pathetic scrounging for "likes"...?

Well. Actually I don't judge someone who posts photos that make them feel pretty, hoping for validation from their friends. I don't really have an issue with that. I prefer it over those who go there to troll or start stupid arguments or sell MLM products or post copy/past "I bet no one reads my posts..." chain letters over and over.

But that's why we've all got the same buttons, to unfriend, unfollow, hide, block, ignore, etc. Right?

LOL ultimately we are all "there" for the same real "reason" though... To provide user data to enrich the Zuckerbergs of the world.

Old 07-31-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
LOL ultimately we are all "there" for the same real "reason" though... To provide user data to enrich the Zuckerbergs of the world.

This is one of the truest statements here. The rest is personal preference and people trying to police other folks' enjoyment of a thing. I don't understand why it bothers some people that others choose to do things differently. MYOB.

Old 07-31-2022, 12:50 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,857,477 times
No kidding.

Old 07-31-2022, 02:09 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
Makes sense. See for you it's more a way to keep in touch with people, rather than a self-serving purpose. That actually makes total sense.
I think that's true for most people, even if you see it as "attention-seeking." Particularly true during this pandemic, when folks have been more isolated and unable to travel (at least compared to before). I'm in my 40s, so grew up without social media; and mostly now I just use Facebook to keep in touch with my friends and family, since we live all over the world. I also have frequent text and phone conversations with my closest people, but for the sum total it's easier to just post on FB. Usually it's photos of my pets lol.

Old 07-31-2022, 02:24 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Haha... perfect! I see that all the time on Reddit (or did when I was still on Reddit). Everyone thought they were "different," but then who were these losers supposedly inhabiting Reddit? Funny how nobody would admit to being one, and yet the stereotype persisted.

Old 07-31-2022, 09:39 PM

212 posts, read 230,044 times
Social media ~~~ It’s a habit that’s hard to kick if you started it young. MySpace was essential to us in high school and yes, it quickly became an addictive time waster. But also it was a fun way to express yourself and find new music. And our parents weren’t on it policing us. Now all this time later I make posts just because I’ve been making posts for half my life. Sometimes there’s an ok conversation and sometimes I’m just putting something out there. I will admit I’ve been happier when I’ve taken 100 day breaks from Facebook but maybe that’s a different conversation about scrolling as opposed to posting

Old 07-31-2022, 09:42 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Well, A, B, C, and D.

A: They have the time to do so.

B: One must admit that the Net is very addictive, one way or another, either through that it is an excellent medium for "pay attention to me!" to the algorithims the various programs use to make us want more, More, MORE!

C: Somewhere in there, must be the desire to express behind the screen of the keyboard to say what we want without being hurt. Since not all people operate that way, this is apart from B.

D: Our world tends to get increasingly impersonal such as not conversing with the cashier or the gas pump attendant for they no longer exist. That need, however, is probably still there so if not eye to eye, face to face then it has to be done some other way.

Old 08-01-2022, 12:05 AM

It's very interesting that many of you don't view C-D as a form of social media. A lot of this boils down to generational differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology