Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 08:36 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,143,719 times

Advertisements

My mother raised me to turn-that-frown-upside-down and put on a brave face for "the public." I think this was somewhat common in 50s, 60s, and 70s America. She didn't think people should be burdened with my angst. And I accepted it and think there is value in it.

Enthusiasm and positivity is/was important on the job and socially. You'll get better responses from people with a smile (corny, sure).

But I fear this is going away, people are bonding more on hate, fear, and frustration, and younger people especially are becoming aloof in public. And maybe many are truly feeling bad all the time and unable to hide it.

Need a co-worker to do something difficult? sell it with enthusiasm and they'll likely do it sooner and better. Want to attract the opposite sex? (or whoever), be cheerful and they will come as if you are the Pied Piper.

Betty White had a massive life and career with her smile, enthusiasm and cheer.

Robin Williams practiced the same, he kept his troubles to himself and kept being an entertaining interview and solid pro actor/comic.

Last edited by Back to NE; 10-06-2022 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 10:12 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,029,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
My mother raised me to turn-that-frown-upside-down and put on a brave face for "the public." I think this was somewhat common in 50s, 60s, and 70s America. She didn't think people should be burdened with my angst. And I accepted it and think there is value in it.

Enthusiasm and positivity is/was important on the job and socially. You'll get better responses from people with a smile (corny, sure).

But I fear this is going away, people are bonding more on hate, fear, and frustration, and younger people especially are becoming aloof in public. And maybe many are truly feeling bad all the time and unable to hide it.

Need a co-worker to do something difficult? sell it with enthusiasm and they'll likely do it sooner and better. Want to attract the opposite sex? (or whoever), be cheerful and they will come as if you are the Pied Piper.

Betty White had a massive life and career with her smile, enthusiasm and cheer.

Robin Williams practiced the same, he kept his troubles to himself and kept being an entertaining interview and solid pro actor/comic.

I had a nice long, thoughtful response written up for this...but Firefox crashed first. So I guess I just get to post the questions.

Does being cheerful inside make us stronger to bounce back when we see the sad and negative things in our world, such as those people who like to rain on our parade?

Is there any difference from always being cheerful to developing to being that state from one's life's experiences?

Old 10-06-2022, 10:45 AM

50,886 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
What do we call it, the Betty White syndrome, to always approach things cheerfully? The classic actress who is always smiling.....when she turns to face the camera?

Now, at my age, I find I am happy often the time since I am living the life of a dream, being a cowgirl, being a witch, being a cheerleader (all in the matter of interpretation). Add to it that I am outside the influence of TV.

But is that right or does our society teach us that there is something wrong with us, such as with Robin Williams?
I don't think society teaches there is something wrong with approaching life smiling and with a positive attitude, how does it? I think it's the opposite, frankly. I wish I was that type of person.

Robin Williams was a comedian,and rewarded handsomely for it. We don't know if he was always cheerful in his personal life.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:48 AM

50,886 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
I had a nice long, thoughtful response written up for this...but Firefox crashed first. So I guess I just get to post the questions.

Does being cheerful inside make us stronger to bounce back when we see the sad and negative things in our world, such as those people who like to rain on our parade?

Is there any difference from always being cheerful to developing to being that state from one's life's experiences?
I really think you're just born to be a positive or negative person. I was born with genes set up for anxiety and worry, it's hard to just become a different person.

At one nursing home I worked in, we had a gentleman who lost his entire family in the Holocaust. He survived because he was a young teen and able to work. After the war, he joined a group of Nazi hunters, and ended up spending time in jail for it. That is enough adversity that would make anyone a negative person. But this man walked around with a wide smile 24/7.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:50 AM

7,176 posts, read 4,572,264 times
I remember reading that 60% of our personalities are innate and 40% what we choose. I have always been mostly upbeat and positive. When I retired people said they missed my cheerfulness and laugh. However, no one can be happy all the time.

Old 10-06-2022, 11:31 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,143,719 times
Quote:

I think being cheerful on the outside can lead to more cheer on the inside, and more resilience. Now that I'm old, beyond happy or sad, cheerful or pissed off, I just strive to be resilient.

Old 10-06-2022, 11:33 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,956,176 times
I once worked with a woman who was always upbeat and cheerful. It wasn't an act, and she said she had always been this way and was probably born with that trait. I would love to be that way, but am not. It takes effort to always see things in the best possible light, and to have a sense of humor during adverse times.

Old 10-06-2022, 11:42 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,029,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I once worked with a woman who was always upbeat and cheerful. It wasn't an act, and she said she had always been this way and was probably born with that trait. I would love to be that way, but am not. It takes effort to always see things in the best possible light, and to have a sense of humor during adverse times.
Sounds like yesterday morning and this morning.

Yesterday: "Oh, poor Ricci! (run over raccoon) But, what is Ricci's demise is a meal for Vladimir and Bernard.".

This morning: Breakfast conference of vultures/buzzards (GOOD GOD, THEY ARE BIG!) at the site of Ricci.

Sigh, my approach to wild animals, such as slow down and say out loud, "We are all going to be careful here!" or "I'm not chasing you!", may be a little insane....but it works for me, calming me down for one.

Old 10-06-2022, 12:40 PM

722 posts, read 430,397 times
There is also a personality disorder called histrionic where the person is overly "cheerful", making positive compliments and comments but without necessarily reflecting the reality.

But I'm guessing this post is about people who are just more optimistic than others.

I don't find it weird at all, on the contrary it's a nice counterweight to people who are always pointing out what is wrong with life. As long as it is not just a facade and they really see life that way, I'm happy people can see the bright side of life.

Old 10-06-2022, 04:38 PM

1,207 posts, read 625,404 times
It's my nature to be positive and to try to find the positives in every situation. Since I'm also a realist I do have my days in which I worry too much.

I'm just me. My attitude is if you like me fine, if you don't, that's fine too. I really don't care because I'm content living in my own skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology