Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 05:44 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
I think it might've happened to me to me a long time ago, but I don't remember if it's true. ...Is it just a innocent question or is there a more nefarious agenda behind it?. What do you think it means?.
So, you don't actually recall if this really happened? So why are you thinking about it now? Why, if it's been that long ago would it matter to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 08:31 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,586,201 times
A long time ago a regular coffee was $1 or less. That should not be a big deal for his nephew to cough up a buck.
Kind of the same thing as someone saying, "walk with me" knowing that the person needs to talk to you about something.
He's getting you used to be generous/respectful to relatives and perhaps others in the future.

Old 11-01-2022, 09:22 PM

160 posts, read 147,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
OP, in your thread from July, you said you were going to do some things to turn your life around. I was expecting some sort of update on that, rather than some speculation about something your uncle may or may not have said to you that you don't remember.

Are you looking for a job? Did you get an appointment with a doctor? Have you received a diagnosis and treatment so you can work on leaving your room?

I'm 31 and have barely any work experience. Need help coming up with a white lie as to what I've been doing with my life
Your memory is pretty sharp. I'm not the best with updating others on forums. I'm working with my cousin, he owns a trucking business. I'm going to therapy for social anxiety. I'm still not really comfortable around people. Still a work in progress.

Old 11-01-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What, exactly, were the circumstances of him asking? And it was a cup of coffee, not a car or bail money, so...
I was helping my stepdad around the house and he came over and that's when he asked. I think it was jokingly, but I'm not sure. Might have wanted to break the ice. Maybe I'm reading too much into it as others have said.

Old 11-01-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Were you at a store when this happened? Were you sitting at home? Were you at a coffee place?
Helping my stepdad at home and he came over. It would've made sense if I was a coffee place or somewhere else.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
So, you don't actually recall if this really happened? So why are you thinking about it now? Why, if it's been that long ago would it matter to you?
I recently remembered this possibly happening, but didn't give it much thought. I say it somewhat matters because it's good to get an idea of why someone says what they say. The psychology behind it all. This is a psychology forum. We're all interested in how the mind works. I guess was also wondering, not just my exact situation, but also when other people do it. Their intention behind why they ask such a question or something along those lines.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:09 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it's because he wanted a coffee.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:16 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,144,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Were you at a store when this happened? Were you sitting at home? Were you at a coffee place?
OP: "I am heading out to get a few things."
Uncle: "Can you get me a coffee on the way back?"
OP: "if i buy him coffee today, he will ask me to buy him a Corvette and a beach house tomorrow"

Old 11-02-2022, 07:13 AM

5,656 posts, read 3,160,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
I recently remembered this possibly happening, but didn't give it much thought. I say it somewhat matters because it's good to get an idea of why someone says what they say. The psychology behind it all. This is a psychology forum. We're all interested in how the mind works. I guess was also wondering, not just my exact situation, but also when other people do it. Their intention behind why they ask such a question or something along those lines.
Maybe your uncle was teasing you, seeing as you were doing some work for your dad, was your dad paying you? Maybe your uncle was teasing that you should take your pay, and go buy him a cup of coffee.

Or, maybe your uncle wanted to talk to your dad in private, and was trying to send you away, kind of.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:19 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Maybe your uncle was teasing you, seeing as you were doing some work for your dad, was your dad paying you? Maybe your uncle was teasing that you should take your pay, and go buy him a cup of coffee.

Or, maybe your uncle wanted to talk to your dad in private, and was trying to send you away, kind of.
Or, since they were at home, the question was to make a pot of coffee, not buy it. It's not unusual to offer guests coffee/tea/water, etc, and since it's family, making a request rather than being offered isn't completely out of line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology