Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:35 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times

Advertisements

Rcm58
I didnt realize you knew my stbx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 09:48 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,628,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
lol

Tested....come on

Everyone knows your an intelligent man

Phil you have some admirable qualities, I read your posts because I like them.

I would hope that no one ever thinks that something I find interesting and post is aimed at them.
*sigh*

Forgive them, Neptune - they know not what they do. Nor what they see.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:01 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
*sigh*

Forgive them, Neptune - they know not what they do. Nor what they see.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:11 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,377,609 times
I'm beginning to feel out of the loop here but thats ok. If your saying my judgment could be a liability...its a fine line I know.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I'm beginning to feel out of the loop here but thats ok. If your saying my judgment could be a liability...its a fine line I know.
Let me contribute some to your original topic:

What "Psychopath" Means

Charming but Callous

First described systematically by Medical College of Georgia psychiatrist Hervey M. Cleckley in 1941, psychopathy consists of a specific set of personality traits and behaviors. Superficially charming, psychopaths tend to make a good first impression on others and often strike observers as remarkably normal. Yet they are self-centered, dishonest and undependable, and at times they engage in irresponsible behavior for no apparent reason other than the sheer fun of it. Largely devoid of guilt, empathy and love, they have casual and callous interpersonal and romantic relationships. Psychopaths routinely offer excuses for their reckless and often outrageous actions, placing blame on others instead. They rarely learn from their mistakes or benefit from negative feedback, and they have difficulty inhibiting their impulses.

Most psychopaths are male, although the reasons for this sex difference are unknown.

What "Psychopath" Means: Scientific American

Old 09-11-2008, 10:50 AM

Oh!
Yes, actually my second choice of study in college was Psych. There are intelligent psychopaths though. If there were more money in the field I probably would have pursued it further. I believe the reason more men are categorized as psychopaths has more to do with acceptance of unstable character in women. Maybe the unacceptance could even be partly to blame for the dangerous paranoia associated with it.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Oh!
Yes, actually my second choice of study in college was Psych. There are intelligent psychopaths though.
I believe all of them are. And most of them are more charming that the average person.

Your choice of study reminds me of something I heard on the radio this morning (btw, it also scares me ). Some girl has put her virginity up for sale to finance her education... psychology no less! That's the kind of shrink we'd love to go to, right?! They said she was good-looking and she'll easily accomplish her goal. Wonder if Uncle Sam's gonna make her pay tax... Perhaps we’ll hear about it after the sale.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:17 AM

Well if there isn't something screwed up about a person to begin with then you wouldn't be attracted to the field in the first place, I mean we are self serving....lol

I think for instance if you want to be a cop that should be an instant red flag for the department, and in the larger cities it is already a reality. Evaluations are common but can be beaten so they are really of little or no value. We need cops yes and I'm not bad mouthing them. But there will always be a number of bad apples find their way in.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Well if there isn't something screwed up about a person to begin with then you wouldn't be attracted to the field in the first place, I mean we are self serving....lol
Oh, I know... I read a lot of psychology and always find myself attracted to this type; hence, my interest in your thread. I’m not talking fully blown and diagnosable psychopaths, but let’s say people possessing enough traits.

Quote:
I think for instance if you want to be a cop that should be an instant red flag for the department, and in the larger cities it is already a reality. Evaluations are common but can be beaten so they are really of little or no value. We need cops yes and I'm not bad mouthing them. But there will always be a number of bad apples find their way in.
I'd never get involved with a cop, fireman, somebody in the military, attorney... that's just off the top of my head. There are more. There are reasons people do what they do. I totally fail to understand the attraction to a uniform some women have.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:37 AM

The worst psychopath I've ever personally known is a dispatcher. Shes on her 5th or 6th husband now. Her 4th husband told me he was in the shower one day and saw her through the curtain come in whistling, walk over to the hair dryer, plug it in and carry it to the shower where the cord went taunt and came unplugged, She said ****! and put it back then out the door. They both slept with guns under their pillows till the divorce. I have known this women for over 12 years and shes always been a great source of amazing stuff...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology