Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 07:40 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times

Advertisements

I am a total snob. I have no time for trashy, classless people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 08:09 PM

218 posts, read 755,772 times
snobs are insecure people in all tax brackets. in reality they don't like their own skin so keep admiring the mirror subconsciously hoping they'll see an improvement somehow then go buy more things to flaunt whether they can afford it or not

Old 06-01-2010, 08:16 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris245 View Post
This is a title attributed normally to people who have lots of money.

A person who is snobby is a person who:

1. Expects others to the the tasks he/she should accomplish.

2. Are extremely selective with the people with whom they have social interaction.

3.They will down talk people who don't fit their expectations or simply remind them where they belong.

4.They give only as much as they've been given; when in doubt they give less and for them it seems like life is always business.

5.They Walk with confidence and often they look great.

I've wondering why do people hate Snobby people so much?
I get called a snob on a daily basis, for many of my antics.

It basically percolates down to jealousy. Successful boys are hated. The losers are loved, coz that's the benchmark of the average man who spends his life without ambitions and looks forward to his retirement

That's how the 45$ cookie crumbles

Old 06-01-2010, 11:27 PM

283 posts, read 458,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I get called a snob on a daily basis, for many of my antics.

It basically percolates down to jealousy. Successful boys are hated. The losers are loved, coz that's the benchmark of the average man who spends his life without ambitions and looks forward to his retirement

That's how the 45$ cookie crumbles
It makes sense. People are envious of others success so they make negative comments to make them fell more secure about what they envy.

Its All in order to justify their self-fulfilling prophecy. So they lock themselves in their negative thoughts.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:44 AM

173 posts, read 391,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatSayYou View Post
snobs are insecure people in all tax brackets. in reality they don't like their own skin so keep admiring the mirror subconsciously hoping they'll see an improvement somehow then go buy more things to flaunt whether they can afford it or not
A completely different perspective... I have a friend who frequently complains about SNOBS.. but generally they are people who she feels have slighted her... They didn't smile back at her when she smiled at them. She thought they were judging her (a white haired woman, with severe mobility problems).

So in her case, it is her feelings of inferiority, and then she makes a nasty face, behind their back... which makes her 60 year old face look like a 6 year old brat.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:08 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times
Your minute intellect cannot not handle the wisdom of my post therefore, I must step over this tread and move on.

*looking for snooty emoticon*

Old 06-02-2010, 01:37 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris245 View Post
This is a title attributed normally to people who have lots of money.

A person who is snobby is a person who:

1. Expects others to the the tasks he/she should accomplish.

2. Are extremely selective with the people with whom they have social interaction.

3.They will down talk people who don't fit their expectations or simply remind them where they belong.

4.They give only as much as they've been given; when in doubt they give less and for them it seems like life is always business.

5.They Walk with confidence and often they look great.

I've wondering why do people hate Snobby people so much?
That is not how I define a snob. To me, a snob is someone who thinks they are better than most everyone else for reasons which are not actually that important in life (not necessarily money).

Old 06-02-2010, 03:47 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
The term "Snob" is kind of like the word "Promiscuous," in that it's almost always subjective and based on the attitude and perception of its speaker. Just as the word "Promiscuous" basically means "anybody who has slept with few more people than me," so "Snob" means, "Somebody who isn't impressed by me."

But let me tackle the definition, which is simply referring to those who think their tastes are superior to others.

Now, our friends are pretty much from all walks of life. We don't read the society pages to determine who's out and who's in. We enjoy classical music and we enjoy a good street festival. We've been two steps from the poorhouse and we've been well-off.

At the same time, we're pretty selective about our friends. They certainly don't have to be rich. They don't have to have a string of degrees as long as their arms. They don't have to dress in the latest fashions or drive a Lexus. At the same time, we like our friends to be interesting and possessed of some basic social skills and consideration for others. Not a lot to ask in my book.

Now, professionally, I have some pretty exacting standards. Given the fact that I am entrusted with a great deal of money by people who expect results, a person needs to look sharp, speak and write proper English, work hard, and carry himself or herself in a professional manner at all times on the job. And if that's snobbery, then so be it.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:34 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
I'm only snobby about beer.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,107 times
I dated a woman who was the epitome of snobbery. She was gorgeous but she knew it and would make comments about her eyes or her figure all the time. She worked in the medical field in order to "save the world" but in reality she was attracted to the power and money of the medical field. She "used" to have a Porsche and talked about it a lot. She would try to speak down to me and I wouldn't have any of that.

The thing is I think she enjoyed being a snob but tried very hard to make it seem like she was this humble person. Needless to say, it didn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology