Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 08:53 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,083,850 times

Advertisements

Foxy took the picture on his phone, so it's not an old photo from my files. It was held up to the tape as well, so it's not held up to the camera to make it look bigger - gag, cough, laugh, spill coffee on my self, LOL

Come on Foxy, put the picture up here!

You boat moves!! It stayed ahead of me the whole way down! How'd you like the loop we made around you out there! I thought that was fun!

Too bad you guys didn't land either of those fish out in the pass! I would happily have given up winning yesterday to see another catch a once in a lifetime Tarpon!! It had to be exciting to see a monster fish pull all that line off! Imagine if you guys pulled that in!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 10:30 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,775,590 times
As some of you know, I carry a Satellite POsitioning Locator, SPOT, or personal locator beacon.
I use it to transmit my long/lat position and "I'm ok" messages to my family while I'm fishing. In the unlikely event of a water evacuation, it will also be used to have me found by the USCG.

I uploaded my story of our showdown, with the same pictures above, but also SPOT's website shows the precise locations on a map of my position when I checked in. If our readers are not real familiar with the Harbor, they might enjoy clicking this link:

City Data Showdown - Fishing trip - Spot | SpotAdventures

If the map square is blank, click your mouse on it to activate the map. If needed, zoom in on the map by clicking the plus sign a few times.
Photo positions look like cameras. SPOT locate positions look like radio waves.
Check it out and let me know what you think.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:49 PM

493 posts, read 1,386,331 times
Default The winning pic

Heys guys here it is the tournament winning fish, I was there so I witnessed my friend BH catch this one with about an hour to spare before the end of the challenge. Sorry to hear you guys lost a nice fish MA! It was great being able to finally meet with guys and enjoy a great day out on Charlotte Harbor!

Here are the pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-2011-10-29_15-20-12_215_01.jpg   Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-2011-10-29_15-20-16_967_01.jpg  

Old 10-30-2011, 08:34 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,775,590 times
There it is there. Good job BH. Fun day. I forgot to mention the amazing sights we viewed of dolphins jumping like they were in a Sea World show. I am used to seeing them rolling their dorsal fins at the water surface, even in pods of 6 or more (which we also saw) but I have never before seen them leaping full on airborn in Charlotte Harbor. One more reason to love living here. It made me wish I had a waterproof digital video camera mounted on my Ttop. Can you imagine the scenes you could film out there?

Old 10-31-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrivman1 View Post
Heys guys here it is the tournament winning fish, I was there so I witnessed my friend BH catch this one with about an hour to spare before the end of the challenge. Sorry to hear you guys lost a nice fish MA! It was great being able to finally meet with guys and enjoy a great day out on Charlotte Harbor!

Here are the pics!

I had to be careful because the only foot protection I had on was my fishing flip flops. Sorry MA, I know I'll get a safety warning letter from you in the mail for that one!

I think we should plan another fishing trip in early January, after the holidays. I will be coming and going a lot until things calm down again, and then we should have good trout fishing. All the rournament fisher guys should be here, and maybe we can get a few others to enter. I know another friend of mine that will be happy to partcipate. Hopefully HH will join us even if he doesn't take his yatch out - I'll always find room on my boat for him - its a sure win for me.

I'm hoping for a good turn out!

Old 10-31-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
As some of you know, I carry a Satellite POsitioning Locator, SPOT, or personal locator beacon.
I use it to transmit my long/lat position and "I'm ok" messages to my family while I'm fishing. In the unlikely event of a water evacuation, it will also be used to have me found by the USCG.

I uploaded my story of our showdown, with the same pictures above, but also SPOT's website shows the precise locations on a map of my position when I checked in. If our readers are not real familiar with the Harbor, they might enjoy clicking this link:

City Data Showdown - Fishing trip - Spot | SpotAdventures

If the map square is blank, click your mouse on it to activate the map. If needed, zoom in on the map by clicking the plus sign a few times.
Photo positions look like cameras. SPOT locate positions look like radio waves.
Check it out and let me know what you think.

That is really cool. The SPOT locator doesn't take the pictures does it? You take those and then save them to the spots you marked? Is that correct?

Old 10-31-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
There it is there. Good job BH. Fun day. I forgot to mention the amazing sights we viewed of dolphins jumping like they were in a Sea World show. I am used to seeing them rolling their dorsal fins at the water surface, even in pods of 6 or more (which we also saw) but I have never before seen them leaping full on airborn in Charlotte Harbor. One more reason to love living here. It made me wish I had a waterproof digital video camera mounted on my Ttop. Can you imagine the scenes you could film out there?
Oh, I know. There were a few pods out there which we saw as well.

You should have seen me reeling in the cormorant! It would not let me pull the fish out of his mouth! I was about ready to swing it around like a pit bull on a chew rope! Fortunately the hook pulled free from the fish, and I kept the tension on so he didn't try to take another gulp - that could have ended sadly! The wild life needs to be protected, and enjoyed by everyone - that is why I release almost everything I catch.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:16 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,999,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I think we should plan another fishing trip in early January, after the holidays. I will be coming and going a lot until things calm down again, and then we should have good trout fishing. All the rournament fisher guys should be here, and maybe we can get a few others to enter. I know another friend of mine that will be happy to partcipate. Hopefully HH will join us even if he doesn't take his yatch out - I'll always find room on my boat for him - its a sure win for me.

I'm hoping for a good turn out!
I'm in, as long as there's room on a boat!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:35 AM

413 posts, read 828,006 times
Quote:
My Grandson has a camera you should check out, he puts it on his helmet when he rides his dirt bike. It is a Gopro GoPro Products - Record & Share Your Most Memorable Moments takes great video has a waterproof case also.

Dave

Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dave View Post
My Grandson has a camera you should check out, he puts it on his helmet when he rides his dirt bike. It is a Gopro GoPro Products - Record & Share Your Most Memorable Moments takes great video has a waterproof case also.

Dave
Dave are you going to be down here in January? I think we are going to plan another tournament then. If you'd like to join us - your welcome too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte