Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 03:24 AM

50 posts, read 106,484 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I have the opportunity to relocate to the Port Charlotte area from Kansas City and have so much research to do first. My main question is rent, I noticed from the city-data site that rent is a bit higher than here, however, is it possible to find a place, mobile home, or house for around $600 a month? I would intend to buy but would probably need to rent first. 3 bedrooms is a must, any other options isn't all that important at the moment. I am not opposed to Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, North Port, Arcadia, a big MAYBE in North Fort Myers, etc. Is $20 dollars an hour a decent wage down there? Are there any shooting ranges or areas to shoot guns? I've lived everywhere from North Dakota, to Nebraska, to Missouri, to Arizona, so I'm not all that worried about a different style of living, its more of a cost of living concern for me. I'm 29, which I noticed was a bit lower then the average age of some of these cities, but to get my foot in the door, I don't mind at all living amongst those wiser in years than me. Any info would be appreciated, I've been researching this area quite a bit, and have found a few places in my price range, but was just double checking that this was a common thing to find, thanks for the info!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 04:23 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,778,590 times
We have a widowed friend who just researched the rental market here in the PC area.
See the results in this thread:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/punta...a-gorda-6.html

Yes, I think $20 an hour is a very good wage for this town. Most of the retail jobs here start less than 10. Cost of living is similar to Phoenix, where we came from in 2007. If you're at all the outdoors type, fishing, boating, etc, you'll love it here. If you like small neighborhood pubs filled with local knowledge, you'll love it here.
If you're looking to "go clubbin'" this will not be the place for you.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:37 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
Rent in that price range is going to be hard to find. Right now there is one rental in the MLS for $650 per month with 3 bed, 1 bath MLS#C703740 at 1806 N Narranja St, Punta Gorda located in LaPunta Park. To check the MLS go to: http://myfloridahomesmls.com/

Here are some web sites you can check for rentals.
Ebay Classifieds – http://www.ebayclassifieds.com/
Florida Rental Ads – http://www.floridarentalads.com/
Real Rentals – http://www.realrentals.com/
Rentals.com – www.rentals.com
Rent Range – www.rentrange.com
Vactional Rentals by Owner – www.vrbo.com
Sarasota Herald Tribune - http://www.heraldtribune.com/
Sun Herald – www.sunnewspapers.net

There is a public shooting range in Punta Gorda at Cecil M. Webb. Here is the web site with info: http://everythingpuntagorda.com/blog/cecil-m-webb-public-shooting-range-punta-gorda/

$20.00 per hour for a job is quite good for this area. Most entry level jobs are minimum wage up to $10-$12 per hour.

You will find a variety of age groups in the Port Charlotte area and there are lots of activities to do within a short driving distance. There are some sports pubs and bars as well as boating, fishing, beaches, tennis, golf, hiking, biking, parks, and more.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:34 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcguy View Post
Hi everyone, I have the opportunity to relocate to the Port Charlotte area from Kansas City and have so much research to do first. My main question is rent, I noticed from the city-data site that rent is a bit higher than here, however, is it possible to find a place, mobile home, or house for around $600 a month? I would intend to buy but would probably need to rent first. 3 bedrooms is a must, any other options isn't all that important at the moment. I am not opposed to Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, North Port, Arcadia, a big MAYBE in North Fort Myers, etc. Is $20 dollars an hour a decent wage down there? Are there any shooting ranges or areas to shoot guns? I've lived everywhere from North Dakota, to Nebraska, to Missouri, to Arizona, so I'm not all that worried about a different style of living, its more of a cost of living concern for me. I'm 29, which I noticed was a bit lower then the average age of some of these cities, but to get my foot in the door, I don't mind at all living amongst those wiser in years than me. Any info would be appreciated, I've been researching this area quite a bit, and have found a few places in my price range, but was just double checking that this was a common thing to find, thanks for the info!!
Welcome to the site - many of us here love new posters and like to answer questions and help where we can. We on this thread are very helpful, and less negative than you might find on other area threads.

$20 is an OK wage for this area - depends on what your skill sets and education are whether you'll be happy about it.

I would tend to stay closer to the shore - any of the places you mentioned would work for you. Arcadia is a nice western style town (more Arizonaish and Texasish) but it is quite hot most of the year by comparison. Ft. Myers may be a bit more expensive, but is nice. Punta Gorda is a quaint historical town, and is more small townish, a boater's paradise. PC also is a great boating area with access to the harbor and the gulf, like PG does. North Port is a newer version of PC has nice homes, and has some newer community areas. Renting is a good idea first if you don't have time to visit and find something.

The rent you're looking to spend is a little low, I would suggest you consider that you'll want to spend $850-1200 to find something decent.

Punta Gorda (near Babcock Ranch) has a public shooting range. Its pretty nice. they have separate ranges for high power rifles, pistols, shotguns, and bow and arrows.

You'll notice that there are a lot of older folks around - its that way all around SWFL, but there are plenty of younger people around too. That won't change no matter where you go. You won't have to look as hard as you think.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:54 PM

Thank you all for your wonderful info and knowledge, and for the warm welcome as well!

Old 05-30-2012, 04:50 AM

401 posts, read 534,605 times
I second that remark from BH that people are less negative on this thread, and that is why we find the area and people attractive - which again made us buy a home here!!

I have been on other threads and forums, and find a lot of rudeness and hostility.

I contribute to several forums that I have interest in, but this is my favorite, and the main contributors (like BH) deserve cred for the interesting amount of information they share with us.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingen View Post
I second that remark from BH that people are less negative on this thread, and that is why we find the area and people attractive - which again made us buy a home here!!

I have been on other threads and forums, and find a lot of rudeness and hostility.

I contribute to several forums that I have interest in, but this is my favorite, and the main contributors (like BH) deserve cred for the interesting amount of information they share with us.
Thanks - I try to inject some humor once in a while - between beers - mostly. LOL

Old 05-31-2012, 01:29 AM

@ TamRE, I noticed you are in the real estate business. Do you deal in rentals as well as sales? My issue would be my job transfer. When and if I get a job (Wal Mart Distribution Center) They only give about 2 weeks for you to get there and start work, I know buying would be out of the question at the moment for that reason. I'd love to buy there but I know with closings and all the other great things associated with buying, I'd end up renting for awhile. Your friendly and quite helpful post made me think to ask you if you deal with rentals as well, because I will definitely give you a chance when I buy thanks to your immediate and great reply, as well as the time you took to post all that. Thank you again!

Old 05-31-2012, 02:41 AM

3 posts, read 11,395 times
I'm reading this thread for the first time tonight. You are a friendly group. I like this. Nice intro to your communities.

We live in Monterey, CA on the Bay. We plan to retire in FL within the next year or two. The cost of living here is over the top and temps here are very cool. We cannot go into the ocean without a wet suit. Now, don't laugh but ... are snakes a BIG problem in FL? We've heard on CNN a couple of times that pythons are taking over the FL coast. True? Comments? This old lady has a phobia re snakes.

We are planning to rent first to get to know the area. We may buy later or we might become long term renters. Areas of interest are Port Charlotte, PG and Fort Myers or Bonita Springs - everything in between. We want to be near the water. We're on the quiet side - not into night life other than early dinner out from time to time. We'll be looking for a 2/2 condo in a safe area. Suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

Old 05-31-2012, 02:56 AM

18 posts, read 39,088 times
I've heard Fort Meyers has a serious crime problem, no? I dunno, given the stats of it, I'd probably not touch Ft. Meyers, but then again stats can be a little deceiving as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte