Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:51 PM

41 posts, read 90,919 times

Advertisements

Well I bought a home in Arcadia 8 months ago and have been looking for work ever since. I posted last years and in the spring as well. I have 13 years in Hotel Management, have had a couple bites in Ft Myers but nothing yet. Who is hiring? I have been following hcareers, indeed, monster, careerbuilder and express pros very closely and nearly daily. I have also checked Craigslist on a daily basis. No house payment just a car payment. What would be an average wage to make a living their be? I come down every 6 months for a couple weeks but ma truly ready to leave upstate NY and look for a more quality life. Working ungodly hours and what seems like 7 days a week leaves very little time for life itself. Oh did i mention I HATE winter Any feed back or tips on where I could look? I am willing to travel up to an hour in either direction.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 06:50 AM

700 posts, read 1,819,650 times
Hey Yankee! (I can say that as I am a Yank too. Not NY but close )
I came down last October and have yet to find full time employment. Welcome to the club. I've done some odd jobs here and there, started my own concession business and now I'm an IT contractor for a group out of Sarasota.

It's tough here and the wages are pitiful! If you still carry a NY license may cause some problems. BUT you do have a local address. I've been on many, many interviews but my code of ethics hurts me more than helps. I have very high standards and usually make the top 3. BUT, they always pick someone else. I've even been told I scared a department director due to my abilities. They were afraid I'd over step my position when I assured them I wouldn't and never have.

I see a lot of 'good ole boy' attitudes down here. Not complaining, sort of like it. However networking will greatly help you hear things. Not that it's done me any good so far??? It's a test, keep plugging!

Cheers!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:52 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,965,150 times
Local employment situation is very, very tough. There are various opinions on when it will improve; my guess is "not soon".

Old 08-13-2012, 01:55 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
Jobs are hard to find still. The positions that are open become very competitive. Are you checking the local newspaper www.yoursun.net or www.employflorida.com? You can also sign up with Suncoast Workforce Board and/or Southwest Florida Works. They will help you with your resume and if you register with them, they can get you interviews.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yes it is frustrating. I am not even looking to make the good wage I make here in NY and still nothing. I have had a few interviews in Sanibel and I also hear well we cant pay what your used to, or you are over qualified or not qualified enough. I have also heard many FL employers are afraid to ire the North easterners in fear they will not stay once the employer makes the investment. I will keep plugging and if anyone has any ideas my ears are open. My daughter was supposed to start college down there but we have enrolled her here and we will hopefully find something before Jan. break fingers crossed.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:18 PM

17 posts, read 136,563 times
I'm a local, and yes employment is super tough. I read an article not too long ago about how DeSoto is the poorest county in the state! To find a job that pays half way decent you need to look in Bradenton, Sarasota, Ft Myers. The drive sucks (been there, done that!) but there are just no jobs here. The most common place to work it seems is either at DCI or the hospital. Definetly check employeflorida, that's how I found my current job.

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2012, 07:26 PM

700 posts, read 1,819,650 times
From someone who used to make $32 an hour, I'm over qualified for $14/hr positions (at least that's what they tell me). I have no debt and only want to enjoy the lifestyle. However they make their own decisions. I assure them I don't need the big bucks. Never chased the big coin. Turned down 125K /yr positions because I didn't believe in what I would be doing.
BTW, I took a temp gig that paid less than I made back in 1979! BUT, I'll do whatever and never think I'm better than someone else! Do the best you can even if it's free, that's my motto!
Keep pluggin! It's a test!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:15 PM

Thanks, well I hope I pass this test some day. I also do not mind the job. I have been looking form Fort Myers north to Bradenton and even contemplated Tampa. I keep the faith that something will come alive soon. Thanks again.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:43 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,027,614 times
Start your own business. Most people down here don't have the drive or patience to do it, but those that do usually make the "easiest" money....until they get lazy like most do.

I still haven't found a real NY/NJ pizza down here...or cheese-steak....or soft pretzel. You cook?

Old 08-14-2012, 06:07 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny south bound View Post
Well I bought a home in Arcadia 8 months ago and have been looking for work ever since. I posted last years and in the spring as well. I have 13 years in Hotel Management, have had a couple bites in Ft Myers but nothing yet. Who is hiring? I have been following hcareers, indeed, monster, careerbuilder and express pros very closely and nearly daily. I have also checked Craigslist on a daily basis. No house payment just a car payment. What would be an average wage to make a living their be? I come down every 6 months for a couple weeks but ma truly ready to leave upstate NY and look for a more quality life. Working ungodly hours and what seems like 7 days a week leaves very little time for life itself. Oh did i mention I HATE winter Any feed back or tips on where I could look? I am willing to travel up to an hour in either direction.
Thanks!

Sounds like you didn't do much homework, anda "hotel management" job in or near Arcadia is a joke. You need to be in a large city for even close to that kind of position, if there are any. Arcadia is the armpit of SW Florida; as another poster said it is the poorest area, and it is evident just driving through the "downtown". People just don't "vacation" in Ardadia. (Did you buy a place in that large mfd. home park just out of town?) Other than some produce and cattle farms (many of which are for sale), the area is pretty much an eyesore. It is too far from any beach, and a trek to the east coast across Rt. 70, or to (Sarasota/Bradenton, at least 50 miles one way.)

Sell the house asap, if you can, and get into a decent area. If you had thrown darts on a map of FL, you would have had a better chance of hitting someplace better.

Never move anywhere without a job to go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte