Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 07:11 PM

4,861 posts, read 2,673,519 times

Advertisements

I ain't taking no chances..not even walking through a mud puddle down here..lol..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 07:22 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,823,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Me too! Done it a few times (watched my gf from a boat ). Right where I caught some huge hammerheads, blacktips and bulls.

The gators usually stick to the shallow edges 66.
We are going to be out in a huge inflatable this year watching and I'm a little nervous about that lol
I have seen some big sharks in that harbor.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:59 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
me thinks dem gators ain't all that dangerous..why else would they hold an annual swim across the Peace river between Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte?
I always think of the critters in the water when the annual July 4 "Freedom Swim" across Charlotte Harbor. I imagine ( and hope) that all the noise and traffic of the boats and other watercraft accompanying the swimmers across the Harbor pretty much keeps the wildlife away.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:27 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
We are going to be out in a huge inflatable this year watching and I'm a little nervous about that lol
I have seen some big sharks in that harbor.
Not Me!

Old 06-30-2016, 09:59 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,477 times
Default Gator climbs fence of Fort Myers golf course (Videos)

FORT MYERS -
It wasn't a typical day on the green at the Hideaway Country Club on Wednesday.

The Fort Myers golf course had a visitor: an eight-foot long alligator.

If that's not enough to send a jolt down a golfer's spine, the gator climbed right over a chain linked fence, leaving the area.

A patron of the country club caught it all on video showing the gator appearing unfazed to the barbwire at the top.

Hideaway manager Jeff Wilson says he'll look into fortifying the fence in the future.

"Wiggled some of the poles up a little bit," said Wilson. "In fact, he went over barbwire too, which is pretty amazing, but of course, alligator skin is pretty tough."

As for the people that live near the golf course, they were terrified after seeing the video -- including dog owner Carol Huttenhoff.

"I'm afraid if the alligator is out, he can come running after it because he is a small dog," said Huttenhoff.

"Of course I'm afraid, they're wild animals! It's just...it's unbelievable," said Madeline Bricker.

This is relevant to another big story in Florida right now. Disney just started putting fences in the water at its resorts after a gator snatched a two-year-old who was playing on the beach at the Grand Floridian Resort.

But as the video shows, a fence doesn't always stop gators.

Gator climbs fence of Fort Myers golf course - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Old 07-06-2016, 11:19 AM

Default Alligator in a tree

Gator Goes Out On a (Tree) Limb | Patch (Picture)

An alligator in Cape Coral recently found an unusual place to hang out.

Cape Coral, FL — Florida residents are accustomed to alligators getting out and stretching their legs this time of year. Sightings in residential neighborhoods, along busy streets and even on sandy beaches aren’t all that uncommon.

But it’s not every day that an alligator is spotted hanging out in a tree.

That, however, was the case Tuesday in Cape Coral.

It seems a man happened to look up into a tree when he noticed a gator hanging out on a limb. At first he thought it was an iguana, but a closer look revealed the truth.

The man, identified only as Ronald S., was so excited with the sighting, he shared a photo with Matt Devitt of WINK news, who posted it to Twitter.

Just how the alligator managed to wrangle itself onto its perch remains unknown. It’s doubtful a “Sharknado” tore through Cape Coral unnoticed on Tuesday, also picking up a stray gator along the way. Gators, however, aren’t beyond climbing to get where they want to go, often scaling fences to get to what’s on the other side.

Summertime is peak time for alligators to get out and stretch their legs.

“All reptiles are more active in warmer months,” said Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokesman Gary Morse. “The body temperature and activity levels of alligators and other reptiles is directly related to the temperature of their surroundings.”

Just what folks should do if they spot an alligator in a tree is a little fuzzy. The state does have a hotline set up to accept nuisance alligator reports, though. That number is 1-866-FWC-GATOR (866-392-4286).

The state received 13,962 calls about nuisance alligators in 2015. A total of 7,513 alligators were removed as a result of those calls.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:38 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
Once they learn to fly we are all in trouble!

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Alligators in Charlotte County-image.jpeg  

Old 07-07-2016, 08:35 AM

Default Second alligator found in South Jersey lake

JACKSON — A small alligator was recently pulled from the same lake where another of the reptiles had been found several weeks ago, News 12 New Jersey reported.

The alligator was spotted Tuesday at Maple Lake Campground by fishermen, who called animal control officers. It was pulled from the lake using baited hooks.

In May, an American alligator, also about 2 feet long, was found at the same lake and turned over to a licensed exotic reptile handler. The alligators are indigenous to Florida and Louisiana.

Both animals may have been pets that were released into the lake, News 12 also reported.

Picture: Second alligator found in South Jersey lake, report says | NJ.com

Did you Charlotte County NJ residents take these two home with you to turn loose on the Great Adventure neighbors?

Old 07-07-2016, 11:40 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
JACKSON — A small alligator was recently pulled from the same lake where another of the reptiles had been found several weeks ago, News 12 New Jersey reported.

The alligator was spotted Tuesday at Maple Lake Campground by fishermen, who called animal control officers. It was pulled from the lake using baited hooks.

In May, an American alligator, also about 2 feet long, was found at the same lake and turned over to a licensed exotic reptile handler. The alligators are indigenous to Florida and Louisiana.

Both animals may have been pets that were released into the lake, News 12 also reported.

Picture: Second alligator found in South Jersey lake, report says | NJ.com

Did you Charlotte County NJ residents take these two home with you to turn loose on the Great Adventure neighbors?
Naaahh, they don't fit real well into the overhead luggage bins, and they're awful backseat drivers.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:35 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,823,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Naaahh, they don't fit real well into the overhead luggage bins, and they're awful backseat drivers.
Hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte