Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 783 times

Advertisements

My fiancé and I are considering moving to Florida. We currently live in metro detroit, and are looking to move to south west florida to "start fresh". My fiancé's grandfather lives near englewood alone, and while he has been doing OK health wise (he has been in remission from lung cancer for the last year a half), he's been having hard time being down there alone since his wife died a 2 years ago.

Ideally, we would move in with him and stay there until we were to get on our feet. We are however, saving up at least 6 months worth of expenses plus moving costs before moving down there. His grandpa is considering selling his house and moving into an apartment, so we aren't sure if we will be able to stay with him or not due to how soon we move and how soon he does this.

Neither of us have a college degree, however we both plan on going back to school. I started my degree in business about 4 years ago but had to put it on hold due to financial reasons. I know there are a few colleges in the area, however I was hoping to get some personal opinions on them.

I currently work in the the automotive field in purchasing, while my fiancé is currently in retail after being laid off from his last job. We would like to start our own business in florida, and while we work on starting up we will need to find another job as well. We want to start our own lawn care/pool care business, and eventually open a bar and/or restaurant.

We've been trying to do as much research as we can before we make the move, but I would like a more personal opinion about making the move.

Will 6 months worth of expenses be enough?
What kind of jobs are there to start out with?
What kind of degree jobs are there?
How is the cost of living in florida?
What are the better areas to live in without being too expensive? We would like to be within a half hour drive to the beach.

I appreciate any input on this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: