Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 05:28 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,153,717 times

Advertisements

Rotonda / Placida are very close together. we live in a Rotonda sub division yet our postal address is Placida.

Rotonda West is the main part also know as the circle. this has the bigger lots, canal lots, golf course lots and fetches higher prices. as I say you can get a new home inside the circle for sub $325. its the most populated of the Rotondas.

then surrounding the circle you have Rotonda Heights, lakes, Sands ., The Heights is on the west side and is probably the second densest sub. The Lakes being number 1. then the sands and last the Meadows which is the other side of gasparilla Rd. all these subs have smaller lots. The Lakes are narrower and deeper meaning building split plan homes is very difficult (most have all bedrooms on one side) Although I like the lakes I am not a huge fan of narrow homes.

the Sands , the lots are wider but not so deep so you have to be careful you can get a pool on.

the Meadows is very sparsely populated , right now its like a poor mans South Gulf Cove. If you like being remote it may be worth a look, but again small lots and there are a huge number not served by power ($$$$$ to run).

All of the subs have a LPS sewer system which means you have a mini sewer in your front yard. its no big deal. All are on city water.

We have dogs and love the fact they can wander.

you are close (within 20 minutes) to golf courses, shops, beaches while still feeling that you aren't in a town/city.

So yes I love Rotonda , it suits our lifestyle and just through word of mouth we are now building 11 homes here :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 06:05 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,005,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
PS - forget about Bonita and Ft Myers. Erase them from your thoughts.
BIG rep points for that statement MA! Just our opinion and tastes, but we could never imagine living down there!

Old 04-18-2015, 07:47 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,965,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
BIG rep points for that statement MA! Just our opinion and tastes, but we could never imagine living down there!
3x on that. Unless they're well off enough to have "people", those areas are miserable with traffic from Nov to May. On the heat and humidity issue, remember it's not just the temp index during the week you visit. It's more or less the same high heat and humidity from the middle of May to the middle of October. So Labor Day rolls around, summer is over up North, and you realize you've got 6 more weeks of very tropical weather before it cools off. I'm not trying to be discouraging, as we love it here. But, we lived in Florida in the 80's, so we knew exactly what we were getting into. We adjust our activities toward the early morning and evening, and enjoy the lack of traffic. But, if somebody "hates" the heat and humidity, May to October is a long time to tough it out, so just be realistic.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:52 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,632,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
3x on that. Unless they're well off enough to have "people", those areas are miserable with traffic from Nov to May. On the heat and humidity issue, remember it's not just the temp index during the week you visit. It's more or less the same high heat and humidity from the middle of May to the middle of October. So Labor Day rolls around, summer is over up North, and you realize you've got 6 more weeks of very tropical weather before it cools off. I'm not trying to be discouraging, as we love it here. But, we lived in Florida in the 80's, so we knew exactly what we were getting into. We adjust our activities toward the early morning and evening, and enjoy the lack of traffic. But, if somebody "hates" the heat and humidity, May to October is a long time to tough it out, so just be realistic.
Let's be clear the traffic is bad during the high season in Pt Charlotte and Punta Gorda compared to the off season anyplace else it would be considered normal traffic.

Also if they like 90° in Boston it like 90° down here The only differences is that it's 90° for a much longer period of time down here.

Gary

Old 04-18-2015, 11:00 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,825,618 times
I'll take 90's over 0 any day of the week!

Old 04-18-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
I'll take 90's over 0 any day of the week!

Mr too!

There's a saying you can put more clothes on to keep you warm but you can't take it off or keep your cool.

But you can always jump in the pool!

Old 04-18-2015, 12:40 PM

12 posts, read 16,348 times
They will be fine as we have visited Miami several times in summer and despite the heat/humidity they loved it (at least key Biscayne lol) They also come from a home without central ac so trust me they will be fine.

So the most impressive homes to them have been in Port Charlotte. However they really like the Rotunda (some are in the west) location and homes as well. They also found a few 2006 built homes in PG that are gorgeous. So first thing is to narrow it down to Venice or Rotunda/Placida. Pros and Cons of each... We will likely look at the Port Charlotte homes since they are impressive but I was really hoping to know if any of you have any big negatives toward PC? I realize as slightly bigger location crime is higher but compared to a big northeast city is it really bad? They love the PG area and what they have been told so my gut tells me they will sacrifice some luxury for PG as long as it meets their basic needs.

I lived in Naples for 1 year and they visited a few times and loved it so while Naples is too expensive (they would be looking at a condo or TH) Bonita will be spot they will checkout. How about Cape Coral? One of my co-workers just moved her parents there and spoke highly? Of PC, Rotunda,PG which is cape coral most similar too?

Sorry for so many questions just want to narrow it down before august .

Old 04-18-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmac56 View Post
They will be fine as we have visited Miami several times in summer and despite the heat/humidity they loved it (at least key Biscayne lol) They also come from a home without central ac so trust me they will be fine.

So the most impressive homes to them have been in Port Charlotte. However they really like the Rotunda (some are in the west) location and homes as well. They also found a few 2006 built homes in PG that are gorgeous. So first thing is to narrow it down to Venice or Rotunda/Placida. Pros and Cons of each... We will likely look at the Port Charlotte homes since they are impressive but I was really hoping to know if any of you have any big negatives toward PC? I realize as slightly bigger location crime is higher but compared to a big northeast city is it really bad? They love the PG area and what they have been told so my gut tells me they will sacrifice some luxury for PG as long as it meets their basic needs.

I lived in Naples for 1 year and they visited a few times and loved it so while Naples is too expensive (they would be looking at a condo or TH) Bonita will be spot they will checkout. How about Cape Coral? One of my co-workers just moved her parents there and spoke highly? Of PC, Rotunda,PG which is cape coral most similar too?

Sorry for so many questions just want to narrow it down before august .
I think the most important thing is to check out the areas first and try to figure out where you want to live.

Have a first and second choice and then try to find a home.

Gary

Old 04-18-2015, 01:53 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,005,586 times
We lived in PC for 5 years before moving out to Englewood. Like most towns, it is mixed. Nice neighborhoods and not-so-nice ones. The properties you are looking at are in nicer neighborhoods.

I wouldn't consider cape coral like any of the areas around here. Port Charlotte or PGI if I had to choose. Lots of waterways, lots of restaurants & shopping. Cape Coral is very large with lots of traffic, and the towns up here are not even close to the same size.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:07 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,825,618 times
Cape Coral and PG or PC, no comparison!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte