Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 10:22 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times

Advertisements

The estates in North Port might have what you're looking for. There are also some ruralish areas of Punta Gorda. I feel safe and secure in my North Port neighborhood (it's a developing section off Chamberlain with 1/4 acre lots; houses are going up more now, but there is still a lot of green... I see that changing in the next several years). There are some shady areas of North Port, but if you stay east of Sumter (and even a little west of Sumter, but not as far west as Biscayne unless you stick closer to I-75), you should be fine. The closer you get to the interstate, the more green you'll see and you will have a better chance of being able to purchase several lots together, if more land is what you're looking for. The uncleared 1/4 acre lots in my area seem to be about 10K right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 12:48 PM

82 posts, read 102,644 times
The Estates are nice, I believe parcels are not under three acres. There's a lot of space in terms of proximity to your neighbors, there is also the Myakkahatchee Park right there and the Carlton Reserve. Be aware though that the Estates are very low in terms of land, flooding is always an issue in the rainy season.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:48 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times
we are building 2 homes in the estates right now. nice lots and area BUT boy lots of dirt to raise the finished floor AND account for the septic...

Old 04-29-2017, 10:17 PM

25 posts, read 69,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
The estates in North Port might have what you're looking for. There are also some ruralish areas of Punta Gorda. I feel safe and secure in my North Port neighborhood (it's a developing section off Chamberlain with 1/4 acre lots; houses are going up more now, but there is still a lot of green... I see that changing in the next several years). There are some shady areas of North Port, but if you stay east of Sumter (and even a little west of Sumter, but not as far west as Biscayne unless you stick closer to I-75), you should be fine. The closer you get to the interstate, the more green you'll see and you will have a better chance of being able to purchase several lots together, if more land is what you're looking for. The uncleared 1/4 acre lots in my area seem to be about 10K right now.
Thanks so much for this info! This is extremely helpful to me as it gives me some actual insight on what neighborhoods to look in when I get down there. I'll add these more specific areas to my list and take a look at what's available. The more houses my hubby and I look at, the more we're leaning towards building because I really want a more unique coastal cottage looking house and not just the cookie cutter houses you find in almost every neighborhood in Florida. We'll continue looking at actual houses to get an idea of the median home price in a particular neighborhood and to see if people keep their yards nice and if there's any riffraff, etc... But, after we find a neighborhood we like, I think we'll end up building new. Thanks again so much for this info, it really was very helpful!

Old 04-29-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brioddy View Post
The Estates are nice, I believe parcels are not under three acres. There's a lot of space in terms of proximity to your neighbors, there is also the Myakkahatchee Park right there and the Carlton Reserve. Be aware though that the Estates are very low in terms of land, flooding is always an issue in the rainy season.
Thanks for letting me know about the flooding issue in The Estates. I'll make a note about that. That's definitely something to keep in mind!

Old 04-29-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
we are building 2 homes in the estates right now. nice lots and area BUT boy lots of dirt to raise the finished floor AND account for the septic...
This is good to know. Do you happen to build in Punta Gorda? If so, do you know of any specific areas to look for lots that aren't in a flood area or are there any areas in Punta Gorda that aren't in a flood zone? I've been looking heavily at lots in Rotonda West and South Gulf Cove, but I just don't know if those areas are going to work for my husband since he travels a lot for work and would like to be a little closer to Fort Myers Airport.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:44 AM

We have built in PG but aren't right now. we have a 9 month waiting list and so are staying closer to 'home' which is Rotonda and SGC areas. The 2 in NoPo I took on before season.

I stand to be corrected but I don't think there are any X zones in PG (certainly PGI).
the same in SGC.

Rotonda does have X zones.

RSW is a 1 hour 10 minute drive from Rotonda/SGC

Old 05-08-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
We have built in PG but aren't right now. we have a 9 month waiting list and so are staying closer to 'home' which is Rotonda and SGC areas. The 2 in NoPo I took on before season.

I stand to be corrected but I don't think there are any X zones in PG (certainly PGI).
the same in SGC.

Rotonda does have X zones.

RSW is a 1 hour 10 minute drive from Rotonda/SGC
Thanks, that's good to know! I told the hubby about this and he actually might be leaning towards Rotonda now. I think he's okay with an hour drive to the airport since he gets paid mileage for work anyway. That and honestly, that's about how long it takes him to get to the Pittsburgh airport from where we live up here, so distance to airport is not a deal breaker. I saw some decent lots in Rotonda as well so I'll continue my online browsing until I can get down there and do some exploring.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:46 AM

we build the majority of our homes there so I love Rotonda !! There are still X zone lots available, I had a new client come in last week looking and is writing an offer on one today.

it depends on your criteria :
Lot size
orientation
what you want behind you - green belt, golf course, another house,canal,
the average lot is 80' wide so you get about 15-20' between homes, unless you buy a double lot. depths vary from 110' up to 200 on the 4 cross boulevards (180' deep on Boundary)

Old 05-08-2017, 02:15 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,837,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFL17 View Post
I feel for you! We even lived in FL for 6 years before moving back up here but it's such a large state that we didn't even get to visit even a small tidbit of the state because we were always working and when we weren't working we were working on remodeling our darn house. Don't get me wrong, we had our fun that our area offered, but I just wish we would have went and explored a bit more! Now, that I'm "retired" , I'll at least be able to enjoy it more and explore it more especially since we're being pickier about the house we're looking for. We want one that doesn't need major remodeling (this is honestly the #1 reason why we're leaning towards building new) so we can actually enjoy where we live instead of working on where we live. I know that houses always need work, but it's mostly maintenance work, not totally gutting and remodeling work which is what we were doing to the house we lived in down there (just to be clear).

Anyway, I hope that you can find the information you're looking for! There is a plethora of information available on virtually every city in FL on here so I know it can be overwhelming. I've read through so many discussions on here about different areas that I've actually started a spreadsheet so I can go back to some bullet points about each area later. Haha! Best of luck to you on your search!
I couldn't agree more about the spread sheet!! LOL I have been researching on this forum and other sources so long that I start to forget what I have learned!! So, I started a binder and printed the info I needed and then organized it. (It's a sickness really.....LOLOLOLOL)
Good luck in your search! It is an exciting time isn't it
We hope to leave Wisconsin in the next 2 years or less
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte