Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 01:17 PM

46 posts, read 49,874 times

Advertisements

Just received a call from my insurance company informing me that I have until July 15th to install railings on the stairs from my lanai to the pathway to the dock. We have had insurance continuously since Oct of 2015 when we were issued our CO. Unfortunately I'm not in Florida and we don't expect to get back until the end of August. Does anyone know of a reputable company that I can call to have railings installed long distance? I'm sure the insurance company doesn't expect anything fancy but I'd like something reasonably priced that may match the pool cage (that standard bronze aluminum). I would appreciate any suggestions.......
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior Stair Rails-rear-stairs.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 03:02 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,824,892 times
Tom Benchmark Aluminum did ours. I'll be back down June 1st if you need something.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:32 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
I'd be getting other insurance quotes. Probably a better rate out there without the railing mandate.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:31 AM

5,173 posts, read 4,947,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
I'd be getting other insurance quotes. Probably a better rate out there without the railing mandate.
I was going to recommend that but then thought I'd come across as an *ss, which comes natural to me!.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:35 AM

390 posts, read 609,459 times
IMO, I don't think its a bad idea to put up a railing. You would be reducing the risk of you or someone else's falling and hurting themselves. We are all aging.... BUT I do understand one would not want a company to tell them what to do on their property. And I'm sure you can find another insurance company who would overlook that risk. What is your gut telling you?

Old 05-24-2017, 11:11 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,824,892 times
I was surprised when our home was built rails were not required for front or lanai stairs. Looking around no others have them either so I am surprised a company would mandate them. Now North they are always required, go figure

Old 05-24-2017, 02:18 PM

46 posts, read 49,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
I was surprised when our home was built rails were not required for front or lanai stairs. Looking around no others have them either so I am surprised a company would mandate them. Now North they are always required, go figure
We changed insurance companies and they did a walk through. Our previous company changed my rates because we weren't full timers (or even seasonal) so we went with the new company in April. Everything was good and then the broker contacted me and said they want stairs at the rear lanai steps. She called me back and said they are going to challenge it so we'll see....If nothing changes I'll call Benchmark Aluminum. Thanks Don for the info....

Old 05-25-2017, 02:02 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,632,310 times
I would guess it may be because of the top landings height above the ground and the location of the grill should someone fall. I would question them in this perhaps it's just a landscaping issue.

Gary

Old 05-26-2017, 03:37 PM

378 posts, read 629,554 times
This is the first I have heard of this type of mandate. Also, I would think that a railing would make it more difficult to mow, especially as you must have a yard service doing the job while you are out of town.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:52 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsky View Post
This is the first I have heard of this type of mandate. Also, I would think that a railing would make it more difficult to mow, especially as you must have a yard service doing the job while you are out of town.

Only if you have grass growing on the steps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte