Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 06:37 AM

4,862 posts, read 2,673,519 times

Advertisements

meeting thursday evening at 6 at the murcock admin room in the commisioners building..each victim gets 5 minutes to speak..what a shame..again..hang the bastids..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 04:59 PM

10 posts, read 23,568 times
Unbelievable that Harden Dukes takes over 3 million from the buyers and has over 900,000 in liens against him. Yet is still able to take new buyers deposits. How in the world they still have their contractors liscenses and Mr Dukes states he doesn’t have the money to finish customers homes. Living in SGC it affects all are home values with so many unfinished homes and litter and construction debris thrown about.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:52 PM

306 posts, read 391,230 times
Default Not quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by blb078 View Post
That's good to know, they seemed pretty good and legit when I researched and questioned the sales rep. It seems they have a decent amount of homes under construction too. From what I can tell they seem to have the best bang for buck offer, not the cheapest or most expensive but do a good job overall.

Hopefully the HD situation is taken care of though, that just sux to hear when it effects people's livelihood.
Oh, it's far from being "taken care of" but, with the help of, now, 2 news stations and the paper, CCSO and others, it will be taken care of.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:33 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,201,891 times
With so many brand new spec homes and new homes built within the last ten years on the market, anyone in the market really needs to think twice before undertaking the long and stressful process of building a brand new home from vacant land.

You can do all the proper due diligence and still get screwed. This happens with resales and spec homes too. The quality can be poor. But at least you can visually inspect and higher a professional to look over the finished product before buying. Your money isn't going to someone in a ponzi scheme to pay his contractors because he was poorly managing his business or skimming money off the top for some nefarious purpose.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:57 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,823,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
With so many brand new spec homes and new homes built within the last ten years on the market, anyone in the market really needs to think twice before undertaking the long and stressful process of building a brand new home from vacant land.

You can do all the proper due diligence and still get screwed. This happens with resales and spec homes too. The quality can be poor. But at least you can visually inspect and higher a professional to look over the finished product before buying. Your money isn't going to someone in a ponzi scheme to pay his contractors because he was poorly managing his business or skimming money off the top for some nefarious purpose.
Thats your opinion but i couldn’t disagree with you more. We looked at multiple resales before we decided to build new. We knew what we wanted, hired a quality builder (not a production builder), paid a little more and are completely satisfied.
As you said quality can be poor anywhere and you are relying on someone doing the inspection and giving you advice. Unfortunately to many go for the cheapest or near cheapest contractor and in turn get that quality of work. Are process was 9-12 months, but we built a year early so we did not come under a time restraint. A little planning also helps alot.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:54 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times
I'm getting really ticked with these 2 crooks and the negative reaction its causing for all GOOD HONEST DECENT builders, of whom there are many. i have worked over 40 years in construction, have a great reputation and these ******** are getting us all tarred with the same brush.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:23 PM

73 posts, read 156,374 times
How so?

Old 12-06-2018, 05:26 PM

15 posts, read 15,058 times
I think it also points out weaknesses in the current business environment. I had 1 builder tell me that at Certificate of Occupancy I would get a statement that all sub contractors were paid in full. That isn't worth the paper it is printed on.
What happened to getting lien waivers every step of the way? Why would a client let the bank keep issuing draw payments without lien waivers?

Builder tells me he has never failed on a job, so I should just trust him. Thats how my life savings disappears.
/rant over

Old 12-06-2018, 05:51 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,201,891 times
This is very sad situation for a lot of people. The people that were scammed and certainly the reputable builders that may have their reputations tarnished by association. There are certainly problems with many spec homes. They tend to be done on the cheap and pretty cookie cutter. Ideally, I'd find a resale or spec home from a builder with a good reputation in the place I'd want to live and at the price I'd want to pay with a qualified independent inspector giving his approval but this isn't always possible.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:27 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,823,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
I'm getting really ticked with these 2 crooks and the negative reaction its causing for all GOOD HONEST DECENT builders, of whom there are many. i have worked over 40 years in construction, have a great reputation and these ******** are getting us all tarred with the same brush.
Welcome to social media the land of guilty by association. Pisses me off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte