Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,480 times

Advertisements

Thanks very much, Big House, for taking the time to write such a detailed reply.

One thing I wrote I think I just must have not been clear about. I have not had any realtor take me around to look at places since many years ago when I bought a previous condo (so I have not wasted anyone's time or gas). What I meant was the realtor does offer to take me around but I decline because I don't think the properties on the market on a given day are necessarily what I want and therefore I don't want to waste her time/gas (when probably what she would show me that day is not as good as several I saw sold in the last month or two). Instead I want her to call me when she sees a property that fits my criteria. Someone doesn't have to be in a hurry to buy to be a serious buyer when the right property comes along--but perhaps this is the perception of the realtor, and so maybe you did understand and I have the answer to my question after all.

To me, though, the standard approach (of showing several properties in a day and then expecting the buyer to pick the best one of those) only makes sense if the buyer is from out of town or has a lease ending or needs to get kids in school for the new school year or for whatever reason just wants it done quickly. But for me (and I would think for a lot of other people who definitely want to take advantage of a good market but aren't under pressure to buy immediately) it's better to have a choice of what comes on the market in a longer time window. There is just going to be a better deal for me if I can choose from whatever pops up over a few weeks or even months than if I have to choose from what's available on a given day.

And, this is the part I don't get, if a realtor has already spent time and gas to go look at a property with another buyer, and that buyer doesn't make an offer, then that is time and gas wasted unless they call someone like me and say, "This one looked as good in person as it does on paper, so come see it." Then they might get a sale after all, because at that point I know that the property really does meet my needs (that we aren't going to find when we get there that it has some defect that wasn't mentioned in the listing).

Thank you for helping me understand what has probably been this realtor's perspective all along; you've clarified the situation for me, and I see now I have to change what I'm doing to make something happen for myself.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:36 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
Thanks very much, Big House, for taking the time to write such a detailed reply.

One thing I wrote I think I just must have not been clear about. I have not had any realtor take me around to look at places since many years ago when I bought a previous condo (so I have not wasted anyone's time or gas). What I meant was the realtor does offer to take me around but I decline because I don't think the properties on the market on a given day are necessarily what I want and therefore I don't want to waste her time/gas (when probably what she would show me that day is not as good as several I saw sold in the last month or two). Instead I want her to call me when she sees a property that fits my criteria. Someone doesn't have to be in a hurry to buy to be a serious buyer when the right property comes along--but perhaps this is the perception of the realtor, and so maybe you did understand and I have the answer to my question after all.

To me, though, the standard approach (of showing several properties in a day and then expecting the buyer to pick the best one of those) only makes sense if the buyer is from out of town or has a lease ending or needs to get kids in school for the new school year or for whatever reason just wants it done quickly. But for me (and I would think for a lot of other people who definitely want to take advantage of a good market but aren't under pressure to buy immediately) it's better to have a choice of what comes on the market in a longer time window. There is just going to be a better deal for me if I can choose from whatever pops up over a few weeks or even months than if I have to choose from what's available on a given day.

And, this is the part I don't get, if a realtor has already spent time and gas to go look at a property with another buyer, and that buyer doesn't make an offer, then that is time and gas wasted unless they call someone like me and say, "This one looked as good in person as it does on paper, so come see it." Then they might get a sale after all, because at that point I know that the property really does meet my needs (that we aren't going to find when we get there that it has some defect that wasn't mentioned in the listing).

Thank you for helping me understand what has probably been this realtor's perspective all along; you've clarified the situation for me, and I see now I have to change what I'm doing to make something happen for myself.

Citi,
I was responding to your post, and tried to reply, but not infer that you had done anything wrong - at all. I hope you and all the readers here read through the message so that they understand that. It is about what happens sometimes, and you brought up good points that helped me in the reply.

I don't know why a realtor wouldn't turn you on to a property if it meets your needs / criteria anyway (meaning even if the potential buyer liked it - many offers never turn in to deals). But if both potential buyers make offers (then they aren't allowed to tell the other party what the other offer is). But they should clue you in especially if the other potential buyer has begged off.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:43 AM

517 posts, read 1,092,480 times
Thanks again, Big House. What you said was really helpful.

I think in retrospect it is as simple as that, when this realtor was saying let's go look at places and I was saying no (even though it was no but please call me when you see something), she did probably get the idea that I wasn't serious, because in her mind a serious buyer would be saying, yes definitely, let's go look at places right away.

Maybe if I had thought at the time to actually use the words I used in my post above (wanting a longer window of opportunity to have a good house come on the market than just one day), I would have had a better result.

Oh well, live and learn. And thanks again for what you posted as it led me to have this (long overdue) "lightbulb moment."

I will probably sound like a broken record as I've said this so many times before but the generosity with their time of people posting on City-Data makes this an amazing resource.

There are so many things I've learned about everything from the impact of changing building codes on insurance rates, to neighborhood information, to wood frame vs. block construction, to the issues to investigate when looking at condos, to whether 55+ manufactured home communities might be a good option, to the varying costs of water and electric depending who supplies utilities in various locations, to septic system inspections and utilities expansions (not to mention things like who the good doctors are and what website to check for whether red tide is present before heading for the beach) ... the list goes on and on, and it is all very much appreciated.

I try to post helpful info where I can too, but so far I have a long way to go before I will have "paid forward" all the great info I've gotten here! Thanks again.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
Thanks again, Big House. What you said was really helpful.

I think in retrospect it is as simple as that, when this realtor was saying let's go look at places and I was saying no (even though it was no but please call me when you see something), she did probably get the idea that I wasn't serious, because in her mind a serious buyer would be saying, yes definitely, let's go look at places right away.

Maybe if I had thought at the time to actually use the words I used in my post above (wanting a longer window of opportunity to have a good house come on the market than just one day), I would have had a better result.

Oh well, live and learn. And thanks again for what you posted as it led me to have this (long overdue) "lightbulb moment."

I will probably sound like a broken record as I've said this so many times before but the generosity with their time of people posting on City-Data makes this an amazing resource.

There are so many things I've learned about everything from the impact of changing building codes on insurance rates, to neighborhood information, to wood frame vs. block construction, to the issues to investigate when looking at condos, to whether 55+ manufactured home communities might be a good option, to the varying costs of water and electric depending who supplies utilities in various locations, to septic system inspections and utilities expansions (not to mention things like who the good doctors are and what website to check for whether red tide is present before heading for the beach) ... the list goes on and on, and it is all very much appreciated.

I try to post helpful info where I can too, but so far I have a long way to go before I will have "paid forward" all the great info I've gotten here! Thanks again.
My sentiments exactly. I have a lot of knowledge, and I gained a lot here from some fantastic people. Thus I have over the years tried to set a positive tone, that provides useful information, and doesn't just keep my beer cooler well stocked.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:06 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,477 times
Bump

Old 01-30-2014, 03:21 PM

Thanks for bumping this thread - the searchers. I'm happy that it is still helping people learn about the area, and all the many great posters who have, and continue to help all the people interested in this area.

I love to come here and enjoy reading about all I learned and continue to learn. This was a great thread.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:51 AM

472 posts, read 668,897 times
Any comment on the area east to Punta Gorda called Cleveland? Is it kinda of boring?

Old 04-11-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengxg View Post
Any comment on the area east to Punta Gorda called Cleveland? Is it kinda of boring?
Depends on where you want to be. If you are on the water there are some nice houses, but most of the area is less controlled, so people tend to have boats, trailers, RVs, and lots of stuff in their yards, drive ways. Laundry hanging on the line - that sort of thing. Other areas can be quite run down. The west side of 41 is where the nicer areas are to live in.

If you don't mind having your stuff outside, so you can use it all the time, some people like that. There are some good deals over there, but if you want to live on the water there are lots of pretty nice areas to choose from throughout this area.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:56 AM

472 posts, read 668,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Depends on where you want to be. If you are on the water there are some nice houses, but most of the area is less controlled, so people tend to have boats, trailers, RVs, and lots of stuff in their yards, drive ways. Laundry hanging on the line - that sort of thing. Other areas can be quite run down. The west side of 41 is where the nicer areas are to live in.

If you don't mind having your stuff outside, so you can use it all the time, some people like that. There are some good deals over there, but if you want to live on the water there are lots of pretty nice areas to choose from throughout this area.
I am a private person and I don't care what people put in their yards at all. Actually I think it is pretty cool to plant some green food in your yard and use sun to dry clothing rather than dryer.

What I care is how safe the neighborhood is if I leave my door open, how friendly people are, and how convenient (and fun) it is to live around.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:38 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fengxg View Post

What I care is how safe the neighborhood is if I leave my door open, how friendly people are, and how convenient (and fun) it is to live around.
This is 2014 and unless I lived on an island that only I inhabited I would lock my door when leaving my neighborhood. To be honest I lock the doors when going to a neighbors for dinner. That is just the way it is today in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte