Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:39 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittletyguy View Post
Haha! I like how you said FOR lunch instead of WITH lunch! My kinda lunch date! Just kidding
Hmmm...must be a Freudian slip!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 06:44 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
In Punta Gorda there are plenty of good places, and all serve good seafood.
I would definitely try"
River City Grill,
Harpoon Harry's downstairs at Fisherman's Village and Smugglers upstairs
The Tavern,
Jacks,
Dean (good mexican food)
LuLu's (good cuban food) in the Wyvern Hotel
for lunches try Pies and Plates

On the Port Charlotte side of the Bridge I'd try:
Gators (lunches)
Portofinos (nice outside bar, and great italian food - seafood is good too)

None of these are your chain type restuaruants.
Enjoy your culinary adventure.
We like Gators too, especially for the wings.
Speaking of Portofinos, we tried to go there last time we were down, and we got there too late apparently to get served. It was maybe 9:30 or something. BUT we got the definite impression the maitre d' was looking down his nose at us. Now, a bunch of you have met us, we're no hoity toity snobs, but on the other hand we don't look like we just crawled out from under a rock do we??? It just seemed like he wanted to get rid of us, the place was STILL full of people, and he asked if we wanted some other suggestions on places to go, and I got the impression his "list" was going to contain places he felt more "suited" to us. Has anybody else had this experience there? Or am I just overly sensitive?

Old 05-26-2009, 06:52 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
We like Gators too, especially for the wings.
Speaking of Portofinos, we tried to go there last time we were down, and we got there too late apparently to get served. It was maybe 9:30 or something. BUT we got the definite impression the maitre d' was looking down his nose at us. Now, a bunch of you have met us, we're no hoity toity snobs, but on the other hand we don't look like we just crawled out from under a rock do we??? It just seemed like he wanted to get rid of us, the place was STILL full of people, and he asked if we wanted some other suggestions on places to go, and I got the impression his "list" was going to contain places he felt more "suited" to us. Has anybody else had this experience there? Or am I just overly sensitive?
Nope, you two are quite lovely It's been a while since I've been to Portofino's and I think it might even be new owners since I was there.

I forgot about Pies & Plates in Punta Gorda! I LOVE that place! Every time I go to Punta Gorda. I always go there. I took WAWannabe there, Pattig and a few others

Old 05-26-2009, 10:48 PM

354 posts, read 1,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Well, let's see. In Englewood/Placida there's The Fishery, 1300 Fishery Rd, Placida. They bring the fish right in off the boat there. Then there's Johnny Leverock's, 7092 Placida Rd in Placida as well. Rum Bay, 7092 Placida Rd a is super cool place to eat. It's out on an island and you take a ferry over to the restaurant. Myakka River Oyster Bar, 121 Playmore Dr. in south Venice is pretty good. In Punta Gorda there's Harpoon Harry's which has a cool atmosphere but I'm not the crazy about the food. Just over the Punta Gorda bridge into Port Charlotte is Portifino's, they have pretty good food.

OK, that's my review. BigHouse, Sunshine's, Cool's, Velte's anyone else care to throw some out there?
I thought Myakka River OB was really in "North Port" now. ( The So. Venice - North Port controversy ) he he

It's New England Seafood but a "bit of Boston" is good.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:35 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Well, let's see. In Englewood/Placida there's The Fishery, 1300 Fishery Rd, Placida. They bring the fish right in off the boat there. Then there's Johnny Leverock's, 7092 Placida Rd in Placida as well. Rum Bay, 7092 Placida Rd a is super cool place to eat. It's out on an island and you take a ferry over to the restaurant. Myakka River Oyster Bar, 121 Playmore Dr. in south Venice is pretty good. In Punta Gorda there's Harpoon Harry's which has a cool atmosphere but I'm not the crazy about the food. Just over the Punta Gorda bridge into Port Charlotte is Portifino's, they have pretty good food.

OK, that's my review. BigHouse, Sunshine's, Cool's, Velte's anyone else care to throw some out there?
Someone else told me the Myakka River Oyster bar was really good. I'm going to have to try it out the next time I'm down.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:50 AM

69 posts, read 271,976 times
Sounds like we'll have LOTS of choices! Thanks much.
Marcia

Old 05-27-2009, 04:08 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia_M View Post
Sounds like we'll have LOTS of choices! Thanks much.
Marcia
Another good place to eat is the Perfect Caper. It is a bit pricy though, and you need to make reservations. I haven't eaten there - I tried, but they were booked.

The Perfect Caper
121 E Marion Ave # 121
Punta Gorda, FL 33950
(941) 505-9009

Old 06-13-2009, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,844 times
left side seafood in venice is the best in price quality and service;;;;;;;

Old 06-14-2009, 12:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
There used to be a restaurant just north of King's Highway and 41, on the east side (on your right if traveling north on 41) in a little strip mall. Right next to a pool hall. Ah...the Coral Rock Cafe, I think that's it. Ate there once, was a decent place. Of course, that was ten years ago (in Charlotte Harbor).

Another one in Port Charlotte is the Village Fish Market. Again, I haven't been there in years, so I don't know if it's still there--or if it's still any good. It was around 2000 or 2020 Tamiami Trail.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:11 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
All right, since I know you made it to Sarasota I'm gonna recommend one to you. Captain Brain's Seafood Restaurant. It's right by the Sarasota/Bradenton Airport. My husband recommended the restaurant to me when I was out with 222muchcoffee and we stopped in. They have the freshest and best grouper sandwiches. 222muchcoffee even gave them his coveted five star rating for their fish sandwich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte