Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 07:09 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times

Advertisements

Dealerships are not overpriced.

Fact: Your local garage does not have the factory tools and equipment to service every vehicle.
Things are done with makeshift specialty tools and generic scanners. Some independent shops are VERY competent, but until you find the one that is, you may have to try around.

I used to be a Ford certified technician, and I sold professional tools to shops and technicians. I may have a little more insight into the matter than you think. But, just a suggestion, if anything, avoid the chains like "tires choice" and "firestone" and "midas" if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 08:17 AM

455 posts, read 979,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Dealerships are not overpriced.

Fact: Your local garage does not have the factory tools and equipment to service every vehicle.
Things are done with makeshift specialty tools and generic scanners. Some independent shops are VERY competent, but until you find the one that is, you may have to try around.

I used to be a Ford certified technician, and I sold professional tools to shops and technicians. I may have a little more insight into the matter than you think. But, just a suggestion, if anything, avoid the chains like "tires choice" and "firestone" and "midas" if you can.
Thanks...I always try to avoid the chains like the plague. I have always been able to find great local guys by word of mouth. Since hiknapster's hubby was in the biz locally, I thought he might have some input. I once found a retired Detroit Engineer who was working out of a shop in his front yard. Best mechanic I ever had. Was even able to diagnose an electrical problem on my Fiat from a wiring diagram in ITALIAN!

Old 10-03-2009, 08:58 AM

It's easy to diagnose cars if you know what the images represent. I once diagnosed a no-start on a mercury grand marquis as needing a new PCM in my neighbors driveway with a test light and a wiring diagram. I know a guy in LaBelle that works out of his backyard, very competent if you don't mind a drive.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:53 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
When my husband needs a special tool, he goes to the dealership and they let him borrow it. It rarely happens, but it does happen.

My husband works out of our home now, too. He has all the computer diagnostics right here. His scanners are specific to every make and model, foreign and domestic. His tools are probably worth about $50,000. A good mechanic is a good mechanic, no matter where they are.

But you are all correct. Avoid the chains like the plague. I've never seen a real mechanic worth anything stay at one of those places. They usually have kids out of high school that have not been trained to do any of that work.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Oh criminny, I will have to find local mechanics for my KIA when we move too. All the little things you don't think about.
NY Annie, you are moving to TN, not FL. Are you following me around?

(It's okay.)

Old 10-04-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
A good mechanic is a good mechanic, no matter where they are.
without a doubt, havent read anything more true on here yet

Old 10-04-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yep. my husband says, "Don't do it."

He's been an ASE-certified tech for 20 years. Was a foreman in Fort Myers.

He'd help you out but it's a 700+ ride!

He wishes he knew someone...
Can he recommend anybody in Lee? We would make the drive.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:48 PM

i can recommend a guy in labelle if you want.. fair prices, good work

Old 10-04-2009, 02:09 PM

The only place we could recommend would be C&C Tire and Auto. They have one in Bonita and one in Naples. They used to have one in Fort Myers but it looks like it closed.

C&C Tire & Auto
Bonita Springs 27861 Crown Lake Blvd
Tel: 239-947-0087

Old 10-04-2009, 02:10 PM

LaBelle's a bit of a schlep. Was hoping for the Cape or Ft. Myers if nobody knows of anybody in Charlotte. Thanks though. My luck, the belt would break in the middle of that long haul out Palm Beach...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte