Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 08:39 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times

Advertisements

The so-called 'Fairness Doctrine' is another Democrat-created bill trying to legislate something which doesn't work, which is liberal talk radio.

It's downright absurd; forcing broadcasters to present programming which has been rejected nationally for decades will only result in lots of folks losing their jobs.

They might as well mandate that every top 40 station play three hours of polka music at noon every single day.

It's asinine and unworkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 05:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
It could also motivate an entirely new demographic to tune into the radio listening experience <at the moment the AM radio is basically catering to the rightwing crowd so those from the left are hardly going to tune in to listen to Denis Miller Alex Jones,Limbaugh, Jerry Doyle etc.
Although i'm not in agreement that a certain type of radio programming should be legislated into being.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
It could also motivate an entirely new demographic to tune into the radio listening experience <at the moment the AM radio is basically catering to the rightwing crowd so those from the left are hardly going to tune in to listen to Denis Miller Alex Jones,Limbaugh, Jerry Doyle etc.
Although i'm not in agreement that a certain type of radio programming should be legislated into being.

To add/
Why is it there are no nation wide leftwing radio shows as it seems lefties are every bit as interested in listening to left wing points of view as righties are of listening to their points of view.
It seems when traveling the entire radio band whether am or fm is generally all rightwing talk shows.
I get to wondering if Rightwing interests are the owners of am and fm radio media

Old 11-28-2013, 08:25 AM

8,071 posts, read 4,746,263 times
Left-wing talk radio has been attempted several times, most recently the Air America network. This was no half-hearted attempt, either--they drafted several well-known personalities to host programs and enlisted many stations across the country. The harsh truth is that there just wasn't enough interest from listeners for it to be profitable.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:42 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Quote:
Quote:
To add/
Why is it there are no nation wide leftwing radio shows as it seems lefties are every bit as interested in listening to left wing points of view as righties are of listening to their points of view.
It seems when traveling the entire radio band whether am or fm is generally all rightwing talk shows.
I get to wondering if Rightwing interests are the owners of am and fm radio media
I think the problem is that some people like to listen to information, news, and events and determine how good or bad it affects them personally. Others enjoy listening to “shock†radio hosts that will tell them most anything outrageous and unbelievable. Truth sometimes isn’t interesting however turn a news story into something that motivates anger & hate, the next thing you know everyone is listening.

Some rightwing radio hosts are gods of the mic and don’t take calls from those on the left because it doesn’t fit their horror show and story of lies. The hosts don’t want their listeners to “think†that there is another point of view that is possibly correct. Hail to those gods who control the listeners with misinformation and untruth. Refer back to Hitler & Nazis Germany and the radio propaganda machine they used to inform the masses. One story, one side, all the time, tell it long enough and people will believe it.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:59 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
^^ FM is not always an available signal in some areas and most of it is music or religious broadcasts like the AM.

While driving and taking road trips Sirius XM radio is about the only way to get any type of broadcast in those remote areas of the country. However this is an expensive way to listen to something and you miss the local flavor of the area radio stations. As pointed out, it’s too costly to have local people working the station and providing information on the air, thus most broadcast stations have turned to “corporate†broadcasting with a national flavor instead of the local. If Sirius XM radio provided a seasonable monthly price without a contract I might use their service. Another annoying issue with Sirius XM is they want to “debt†my bank account which isn’t something I care to allow “any†company do. I simply don’t turnover my account number to just anyone!
XM does offer a "billing" option. I was a loyal listener for many years and then decided that I was not going to use credit cards any more *and* no one was going to have access to my bank accounts.

When my XM tried to renew my monthly service, they discovered that my credit card had been cancelled. After calling me DAILY for several weeks, begging me to come back, I simply told them I would LOVE to be a subscriber again, but that I did not have the means to be debited on a monthly basis and they RELUCTANTLY told me that they would bill me for an extra $2 per month (processing fee for the invoice). I told them that was fine and that's how we do it now.

Ironically, the two channels I listen to most are the Patriot Station which features Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Mark Levin, and other "right wing" talk show hosts, and the "progressive" station because it's always good to know what the enemy is up to. LOL Oh and I listen to the Smooth Jazz (Watercolors) station a lot too.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-28-2013, 08:22 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
FM happened and from there AM was in trouble. Talk radio, sports talk, and a stray oldies or beautiful music station were about all that was left on AM. Bloated gas bags like Rush made a fortune though. The only interesting talk shows were some of the local ones, but they continued to become more like the syndicated tripe. Just a minor league of Rush want to be types. That's about all there is anymore. Also the changes in law that allowed the giants of the media to gobble up as many locals as they want in a market also is a major contributor to the uninteresting mediocre programming of today. Does anyone even listen to radio anymore? If I do, its some station from another part of the world.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:32 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I am listening to the radio right now. It's still on my day station of oldies.

But starting at 8pm I am usually listening to talk radio on WBZ AM Boston and I keep the radio on at all times, all night long. The 8pm-midnight host is somewhat conservative but not all his programs are political so there are often some really interesting topics being discussed.

At midnight someone else comes on who is middle of the road and low key. It's not very political at all. It's sort of like reading the different discussions here on CD--most are not about politics. Why does radio have to be about politics? There are a lot of other things to talk about.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:03 AM

I guess talking politics is kinda boring to most unless you crank up the entertainment factor with much gossip, hate, conspiracy theories,wild and extreme guests with wild and extreme viewpoints,hosts that become apoplectic at the most minor of issues,Birthers and the like,,yes Rightwing radio has done a stellar job at turning a boring subject of politics into something exciting and entertaining,only problem is they dont tell or the audience doesnt get the fact that most of it is bs,mostly opinion dressed up to look like fact.
I think most of this engaged rightwing viewing audience wouldnt even entertain the thought of watching the video equivalent of real political talk shows like the old William F Buckleys "Firing Line"
Heres one of his more exciting shows.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-UmT-KPh00
And now a Glenn Beck show..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB7xl2hOCDw

Last edited by jambo101; 11-29-2013 at 08:17 AM..

Old 11-30-2013, 10:06 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
If your local radio stations consist of Glen Beck or Rush Scumbag listen online to something decent. I've never listened to either of those two and from what I hear, I never want to. I wouldn't live in any part of the country that didn't have decent talk radio, that's how important radio is to me.

Last night's talk was about shopping on Thanksgiving, experiences eating in restaurants, how a corrupt mayor was NOT re-elected, that sort of thing. It was light talk because it's overnight radio. The heavier stuff (political, controversial) is on earlier and it's not right wing either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio