Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:40 PM

421 posts, read 1,566,347 times

Advertisements

Gerry Rafferty-Baker Street This song used to be a staple on top 40 radio, but it has fallen off of the radar screen in recent years. I actually heard it on an oldies station not too long ago, but it suffered the indignity of being followed up by a true dip-dip cheesy oldie!!Yuck!!!!

Everything About You-Ugly Kid Joe I know, this was a stupid song, but it was a massive hit in 1991, and got plenty of radioplay for a few more years.

Love Is On the Way-Saigon Kick Awesome power ballad, was huge back in 1992.

Hungry-Winger Dude!!!This one was an MTV/VH1 smash hit back in 1990. Dee Snider plays plenty of Winger on House of Hair, but the classic rock stations could stand to cue up a little more Winger these days.

Love of a Lifetime-Firehouse Another awesome early nineties power ballad that was not killed by grunge in the nineties.

As far the best music that never hit the radio.....

1) Yngwie Malmsteen-This guy is the greatest guitarist in the rock genre. He was inspired to play after seeing about the death of Hendrix at the age of 7 on TV, but went on to completely and totally blow the doors off of his inspiration, as well as every other rock guitarist. He proves that there in nothing like good old fashioned classical training and years of fastidious practice to be a master of your instrument. Combine classical training, skill, and technique with a desire to rock and kick ass, as you get the greatest rock guitar imaginable!!

2) Michael Schenker Group (M.S.G.)-In the seventies, while Yngwie was still a teen, another virtuosic guitarist was kicking rock guitar up a few notches. UFO was kicking ass with Schenker behind the mighty axe. In 1980, Schenker left UFO to form his own band, a band that sounded a lot like UFO but totally blew the doors off of UFO. M.S.G. is right there with Yngwie as absolutely stellar rock guitar. Why this band has never gotten more airplay in the U.S. is just stupid!! This band was every bit as good as the big VH in the eighties, and should have been a chart topper all through the eighties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 05:24 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,101,803 times
Another song that you never hear on the radio that was a major hit back in the early 80s was Buckner & Garcia's "Pac-Man Fever".

Old 11-28-2012, 12:51 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Ebony and Ivory was one of the first songs I can remember hearing ALL THE TIME on the radio, haven't heard it since. Another duet, State of Shock by Michael Jackson and Mick Jagger, was played on loop day and night (literally) on a local station called KIQQ when it was released.

In the nineties, there was a spoken word track titled 'Wear Sunscreen' that was played all the time, and never since.

How about Dan Hartman, I Can Dream About You. So many songs fit this thread.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:28 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,117 times
Celine Dion -Titanic
Brittany Spears- Hit me one more time
Backstreet Boys - I want it that way
Alice in Chains
Smashing Pumpkins
Soul Asylum
Queensryche
Korn

Old 12-01-2012, 11:15 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Radio does music testing. If songs become too unfamiliar they don't get played anymore. If you want to hear songs that radio hasn't played in ages try internet radio such as ORS Radio - radio live - radio stations USA - The largest music network on the internet and www.boomerradio.com.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
I think a lot of older music in general has faded and I never hear 1950's rock and roll or earlier jazz on the radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Regarding Nancy- 2 other songs that were released after Boots are also good; In Our Time and How Does That Grab You Darlin'. Returning to Nepa!! The Dells put out some nice stuff in the late 60's. My favorite of theirs was Stay In My Corner. Other great R&B stuff from the Summer of 68 that should be played on oldies radio is Love Makes a Woman-Barbara Acklin, Soul Limbo-Booker T. and the M.G.'s, Cowboys to Girls-Intruders, Yesterday's Dreams-4 Tops, Hang 'em High-Booker T. & MG's, I'm Sorry-Delfonics, and boatloads of others I'll think of later. 1968-YESSSSSS!!!!!
I've actually met several of the Dells as they attended the same high school as my parents.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:18 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
Eddie Money-Take Me Home Tonight
Heart-Alone
Brandy-Looking Glass
Bryan Adams-Heaven
Stevie Nicks & Eddie Rabbit-Leather & Lace
Bob Dylan-Lay, Lady Lay
Joe Jackson-Steppin Out
Michael Jackson-Thriller album

Old 12-06-2012, 07:43 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
Steppin Out was pretty popular at the local supermarket this past year. Seems I heard Brandy a few times on the radio this year, too. But yeah...

Old 12-09-2012, 07:56 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,045,032 times
You could classify at least 80% of any Top 40 chart - whether from the Hot 100, Mainstream Rock Tracks, Dance/Club Play, Modern Rock or others -- as songs you don't hear anymore. For whatever reason, many songs don't perform well in focus group testing. Most gold-based stations have a playlist of just a few hundred songs.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:31 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
Most gold-based stations have a playlist of just a few hundred songs.

Which is exactly why I avoid them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio