Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 03:32 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,243 times

Advertisements

I love music, I play and write music, have a huge collection of songs and albums(LP, Cassette and CD) but I can, in no way, bring myself to listen to the radio. Perhaps it is different where you live, but here in the SF area, the radio stations are terrible. I can listen to jurassic rock if I want to hear the same songs over and over, i can listen to the chick rock if I want to hear the same songs over and over, i can listen to the R n B if I want.........you get the picture.

Since my ipod broke(washing machine) i find that I listen almost exclusively to talk radio when i am in the truck. What happened to the radio, i remember it playing such good music a few years back and now, garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 03:36 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I like listening to the radio, because I like to be able to hear the music of my youth. Not so I can listen to top 40.

STARTPAGE. Radio Freedom Act.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:50 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
It's been sold out and corporate for many, many years. I don't have XM, but thought about getting it. But I have plenty of cd's and tapes to keep me busy there, so I don't.

One station I have in my area takes the place of all the others combined. It's community radio. They rely on contributions from the community as there are a few salaried people on staff, but it is a pleasure to listen to. You won't hear Lynyrd Skynrd's "Sweet Home Alabama" on their station, but you will listen to "Working for MCA", off that same second album. Same with James Taylor's Sweet Baby James album. You won't hear "Fire and Rain", but you'll hear "Sunny Skies" and "Country Road".

This station I listen to has a couple dozen volunteer dj's. Everybody does a 2 or a 3 hour show. I tune in the morning and I might have 2 hours of big band, then 2 hours of 50's rock and roll, then 2 hours of soundtrack music, then 2 hours of doo wop. The dj who specializes in new releases, well, that is a GREAT 2 hour set.The station has a schedule of when certain people are on the air. And you get to know those people and what they are into personally and professionally. They have fundraisers twice a year, and the music marathons are GREAT! It fills a void as people are tired of the same old schtick. It is as wide a variety of genres and styles that you can run into.

Once upon a time, FM radio promoted the song, but it also promoted the album itself. Record stores, what few are still left, have been struggling for years. You can thank these megaloposis media outfits like Clear Channel and Jacor for their KISS (Keep it simple stupid) playlists as they do not do a whole lot to promote the artists, as well as the hobby. In those days, selling the 45 was ok, but selling the album (or cassette or 8 track) was the idea here. Their line of thought today is "If we don't have it, you don't need it." The play lists are the same, the time the specific songs get played are the same, the commercials are the same. There are so many albums and artists I can list that have virtually disappeared from the publics memory my own human computer cannot count that high.

Radio for androids. Yuck-o!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 07-09-2009 at 04:15 PM..

Old 07-09-2009, 04:29 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,147,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
I love music, I play and write music, have a huge collection of songs and albums(LP, Cassette and CD) but I can, in no way, bring myself to listen to the radio. Perhaps it is different where you live, but here in the SF area, the radio stations are terrible. I can listen to jurassic rock if I want to hear the same songs over and over, i can listen to the chick rock if I want to hear the same songs over and over, i can listen to the R n B if I want.........you get the picture.

Since my ipod broke(washing machine) i find that I listen almost exclusively to talk radio when i am in the truck. What happened to the radio, i remember it playing such good music a few years back and now, garbage.

Yeah I totally agree with you the radio stations are all the same. They all play the same music all day long over and over again and considering most of the music out there today is GARBAGE anyway like you said it's quite irritating to listen to the radio, that's why I can't listen to it as much as I used to year's ago.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:31 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
I listen to the radio. But I channel surf until I find a song that I like. Once I've gone through the 18 presets (or however many I have) I change to CD. My car came with XM. I kept it for 9 months then got rid of it. It was too expensive for the amount of time I'm in my car. I mostly listen to country and there are four country FM stations in my area. But as I mentioned, I just channel surf until I find a song I like, regardless of genre. My car has an MP3 input jack but I don't have an MP3 player.....yet. I don't have a home computer and we're blocked from downloading anything (work related or personal) at work.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:41 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:

Here in the SF area...
Listen to KALX
A college station that I listen to online.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:41 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I listen to the radio. But I channel surf until I find a song that I like. Once I've gone through the 18 presets (or however many I have) I change to CD. My car came with XM. I kept it for 9 months then got rid of it. It was too expensive for the amount of time I'm in my car. I mostly listen to country and there are four country FM stations in my area. But as I mentioned, I just channel surf until I find a song I like, regardless of genre. My car has an MP3 input jack but I don't have an MP3 player.....yet. I don't have a home computer and we're blocked from downloading anything (work related or personal) at work.
My car is a bit older (99) and only has a tape player, I'll listen to tapes occasionally, but they are a bit bulky to keep in thecab of a pickup.

BTW, really, a tape player in 1999, the original owner must have fallen for a slick salesman.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:33 PM

559 posts, read 1,757,840 times
Quote:
lol! i washed my ipod long ago! anywho, seems from reading these boards all radio stations suck. i cant listen to it either, especially cuz of the commercials. no cd player in my car either, it broke.
so no ipod, cd player, and crappy radio im just glad i have satellite.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:36 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,461,973 times
I listen to DC101...an alternative rock station our of DC!

Old 07-09-2009, 07:28 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
WGPA Sunny 1100 AM, WDIY - Lehigh Valley Community Public Radio - Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton PA, USA, WXPN 88.5 FM :: Public Radio from the University of Pennsylvania. Also there is koop in Austin, WNC in the Carolinas and many other stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio