Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 06:50 PM

972 posts, read 2,443,285 times

Advertisements

This has been a tough decision a year in the making. My baby dog is almost 16 years old. She hasn't been able to get to her feet on her own for over a year. She has problems breathing and a million other health issues. And, she has been having accidents in her sleep.

Yet, she still acts happy to see us, likes to chase the cats a little bit and has a healthy appetite. So, we kept going. But, today, after I cleaned her up from another accident, she looked at me with very sad eyes. She has been giving me those eyes now and then for a while, but somehow today was different.

I don't know if I will ever feel right about the decision - are we giving up too soon or did we make her hang on too long? But, either way, I will be there with her tomorrow just like she has been by my side for almost 16 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 07:07 PM

848 posts, read 1,952,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
This has been a tough decision a year in the making. My baby dog is almost 16 years old. She hasn't been able to get to her feet on her own for over a year. She has problems breathing and a million other health issues. And, she has been having accidents in her sleep.

Yet, she still acts happy to see us, likes to chase the cats a little bit and has a healthy appetite. So, we kept going. But, today, after I cleaned her up from another accident, she looked at me with very sad eyes. She has been giving me those eyes now and then for a while, but somehow today was different.

I don't know if I will ever feel right about the decision - are we giving up too soon or did we make her hang on too long? But, either way, I will be there with her tomorrow just like she has been by my side for almost 16 years.
No one but you can answer that question. You obviously love this dog very much and are a very compassionate person. I think only you know when it's time and hope you find some peace tomorrow in knowing you are ending her suffering before it becomes an emergency. She knows you love her. Best to you.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:16 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,234,861 times
HUGS

ALWAYS a difficult time.
Often a feeling of darned if you do darned if you don't.
One of the saddest yet kindest thing we can do for our furry pals.
My heart goes out to you all.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:44 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
I am so sorry for what you are going through. For the past 16 years, you have made the best decisions that you could for her. She has told you that it is time, and you are honoring her. It will take a while for you to fully realize that you are making the best decision for her once again. My thoughts are with you during such a difficult time.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:13 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,409 times
It can't help but be difficult after all the years together and the love and care you have given and the good times shared.

There will no doubt be a sense of loss and guilt but you have to know that it was time and it was a kindness to let her go.

Not everyone is so blessed when the time comes to unexpectedly have their pet die in their sleep. A long period of suffering and a protracted death because we can't bring ourselves to euthanize our pet is a shame. I think you are doing the right thing by her.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:07 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
She will soon be running the great fields of the sky, happy and healthy, with lots of new friends. Many of them will be my dear ones, now gone from here but not gone in spirit. <<<hugs>>>

Old 07-02-2010, 07:00 AM

972 posts, read 2,443,285 times
Thank you everyone for saying what we needed to be told. It was a hard decision right until the last moment, when we felt all the pain leave her. We knew then it was the right decision.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:39 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,975 times
It's the hardest thing in the world, letting go and having to decide the "when"...it sounds like you waited for her to tell you when it was time, and when she did so, you respected it and freed her from a tired vessel that she could no longer be comfortable in. Know that you made the right choice...because the choice was hers...it is one of the most loving and selfless acts to free our beloved companions from pain and send them to the Rainbow Bridge. (((hugs)))!

Old 07-02-2010, 01:43 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,163 times
I know this was a difficult decision for you but rest assured that she is no longer in pain and she is running free and finding old friends and making new friends. Someday she will meet you at the rainbow bridge and the two of you will be together again.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:43 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,910 times
We always question ourselves, but we really know when it is time. She lived a very long life and was dearly loved. My sympathy to you and yours, my thoughts are with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge