Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 02:39 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,923,964 times

Advertisements

and did it ever go out with a bang. Yesterday's 98 shattered the old record of 92 for that date. It's about to feel mighty nice around here with this cold front moving in

The heavy rain just got here! My wife is standing in open doorway with the wind blowing in saying "oh my skin"

Last edited by Poggly Woggly; 09-26-2010 at 02:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 04:48 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
and did it ever go out with a bang. Yesterday's 98 shattered the old record of 92 for that date. It's about to feel mighty nice around here with this cold front moving in

The heavy rain just got here! My wife is standing in open doorway with the wind blowing in saying "oh my skin"
The smell in the air is great!

Old 09-26-2010, 06:05 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Nice.
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28
SUmmer and the living is HOT and humid.

But I do hear folks come up here from Florida to escape the heat...

I might be one of those in the future. LOL

Old 09-29-2010, 04:33 AM

446 posts, read 1,394,195 times
How you like it now?

Old 09-29-2010, 07:31 AM

247 posts, read 452,116 times
The weather was a big draw. Yes, there were over 80 days of 90+ degrees here, but there were 70+ days of 100+ degrees in Tucson where we moved from. There were only a few days throughout the summer that I didn't go outside with the kids because of the heat/humidity. Whereas last summer the kids and I spent significantly more time inside because of the heat in Tucson. Dry heat means very little when it's over 100! ha!

That said, I've already been cold because it's been under 80. My blood needs to thicken, and quickly!

Old 09-29-2010, 02:25 PM

93 posts, read 308,631 times
The weather was the reason for our move. It has proven to be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:36 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis View Post
How you like it now?
I like the rain lol

Old 09-30-2010, 10:17 PM

467 posts, read 712,907 times
I love all this rain, it's great to be out of the hot and humid for a little while. It will be humid forever it seems.. I hope it snows this winter, a bunch.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:55 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,356 times
Default Agree to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaralia View Post
This last winter in Philly really sealed the deal for us. It was a miserable, unrelenting winter filled with snowstorm after snowstorm. I have so many photos of my husband buried in snow, trying to dig out his car. The snow removal companies were so busy after each storm that you couldn't get one out to your place for love or money, so we became very good friends with our snow shovel. The snow banks along the roads (where the plows shoved up snow as they passed) lasted for ages because they were so high and packed with snow that the sun couldn't melt them. But that still wasn't as bad as the winters I spent in Boston...

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to a North Carolina winter this year! I'm willing to put up with summer heat for the trade off! Having grown up in Florida, I've never found the NC summers to be intolerable.
In "defense" of Philly (and I'm used to doing this) ...

I relocated from Chapel Hill to Philly a couple of years ago. The weather was part of the decision. Every year in March I'd hear people saying, basically, "oh boy! summer's coming!" and I'd think "crap! another 5-6 months of running from one air-conditioned place to another to avoid the heat and humidity." Philly can be every bit as stifling as Chapel Hill, but for far fewer days. The Philadelphia Inquirer, not known for its sentimentality, called 2009 "The Emerald Summer." We used our A/C a total of two weeks.

Yes, last winter sucked, but it was almost fun because it verged on the surreal (a friend of mine in Maine emailed me and said "hey, that's our snow! we want it back!"). It was a record amount (80+ inches), which by definition means it was off-the-charts abnormal. Everyone in our 'hood was cooperative - helping to shovel, move cars, etc. It brought out the best in most, altho not all, people.

Bottom line (for me, at least): short summers and occasional freakishly-large snowfalls trumps annual, predictable unrelenting heat and humidity.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:15 AM

675 posts, read 1,832,908 times
Yeah, the way I look at it, here or in the colder areas up north, you're effectively housebound for three months a year. Up there it's in winter time, and down here it's in the summer. Six of one, half dozen of the other in my opinion. And do I find it easier to warm up in the cold than cool down in the heat.

But we moved here for job opportunities, not the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary