Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 09:30 AM

25 posts, read 40,503 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We're a family of 5 that's considering a relocation to Cary. We currently live near Burlington, VT. I work at home so we can go anywhere in the country.

Our number one concern is a good school district. Some good individual schools in a particular region does not excite me much as any policy change on the district level can suddenly mean your children are going to a school other then the one you intended...So a good overall school system is the goal for us as any policy change would be tolerable if all schools in the system are on the good side.

Wake County has appeard on a number of lists as a great school system in recent years. But now I've read that the Wake County school superintendant has resigned due to differences with the board ( Top public schools: Midsize U.S. cities - Cary, N.C. | GreatSchools )

Is this a big deal? Our house in VT goes on the market tomorrow and we still have not decided where to relocate to.

Thanks for your opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 09:44 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTrelo View Post
Wake County has appeard on a number of lists as a great school system in recent years. But now I've read that the Wake County school superintendant has resigned due to differences with the board. Is this a big deal?
It's obvious that you're a newcomer to this forum even without looking at your "reputation points" You might want to grab a beverage of choice and a snack and read some of the threads that have been posted on this forum over the last 6 months.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:49 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
He was forced out.

Whether it's a big deal or not is still up in the air.

People are still getting arrested at school board meetings for protesting what the new school board is trying to do (or some might say protesting that the new school board is dismantling the existing excellent school system).

They have ended the diversity policy, and they are now looking for a new school board superintendent who will dance to their tunes, unlike the former superintendent.

Much has been written about it on City-data. You can also find stories at NewsObserver.com, our local newspaper.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:07 AM

521 posts, read 1,598,936 times
Quote:
Hi All,
Is this a big deal? Our house in VT goes on the market tomorrow and we still have not decided where to relocate to.
Bottom line for you, I think, is that the current situation is not going to be resolved, nor will the outcome of that resolution be quantifiable, in your timeframe -- assuming you want to relocate in the next few months.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:28 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Wake County has appeard on a number of lists as a great school system in recent years. But now I've read that the Wake County school superintendant has resigned due to differences with the board ( Top public schools: Midsize U.S. cities - Cary, N.C. | GreatSchools )

Is this a big deal?
There have been many, many, many threads on what's going on with the Wake County Schools situation in this forum--a perfect time to learn how to use the "Search" button

Also, google "Wake County School Board" to find the media coverage of the bubbling cauldron on controversy going on right now with the School Board.

Really, the "best" School district in NC is generally said to be Chapel Hill/Carrboro, but it's also a lot more expensive to live there.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:24 PM

25 posts, read 40,503 times
Holy smokes!

thanks all..I had no idea all this was going on...I just googled it as Francois suggested and wow, I had no idea it was such a big deal..

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary