Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:22 AM

159 posts, read 608,985 times

Advertisements

Since the topic of schools came up, I wanted to add a word about Southwest Elementary.

I live in Hope Valley Farms, one neighborhood up from Woodcroft. We are districted to Southwest, Lowes Grove, and Hillside. I don't know much firsthand about the middle or high school, but I have a son at Southwest. He LOVES the school and his dad and I have been very pleased with both his education and our interactions with the school so far. I was talking with a mom from Davis Middle School (Cary) the other day, and while you can't deny that Davis has a lot going for it, we were both amazed at the field trips and experiences my son at Southwest had experienced in kindergarten this year compared to her daughter in kindergarten at Davis. It's a true testament to the fact that test scores, free and reduced lunch stats, and racial composition do not tell the full story on a school. Add to it that my son is learning Spanish as well (there's a dual language program at Southwest), and I left the conversation feeling very good about the state of things.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, SW Durham is a fantastic place to live!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 11:56 AM

33 posts, read 90,242 times
Can someone tell me if there are any one story houses in Woodcroft?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:02 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,023,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebelle View Post
Doesn't look like there are many - I searched MLS and there was 1 for sale out of 23 listings...from my travels through there, I don't specifically recall any that stood out, but I would think there are a few here and there - definitely the exception, though.

There are other communities nearby that have single-level homes - Parkwood, Lyons Farm, and there are even a couple in Woodlake which is immediately adjacent to Woodcroft.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:28 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebelle View Post
There are a number of them around. There are definitely more 2-story homes, though.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:47 AM

6 posts, read 17,637 times
Arrow Tobacco Trail Bordering Neighborhoods

Excellent thread on Woodcroft. The photos really drive home how beautiful it is there.

Besides Woodcroft, are there any other communities / areas that border the Tobacco Trail that anyone could recommend?

I'm an avid runner and would love to walk out my door and go for a great run on the trail, but want to make sure I'm considering other Tobacco trail-bordering neighborhoods for a true apples to apples comparison.

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2009, 11:02 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Hi, Nanovation. If you're interested in the part of the ATT that runs through southern Durham, you could also check out Woodlake and Hope Valley Farms. There are smaller neighborhoods, too, but unfortunately I can't remember their names. Sorry!

Woodlake is just east of Woodcroft. It has a lake at the center of the community with a paved trail around it. You'll have to cross the intersection at Fayetteville & Woodcroft Parkway in order to get to the ATT from Woodlake, but there are nice pedestrian crossings there so it isn't a big problem.

Hope Valley Farms is just north of Woodcroft. Rather than winding trails, Hope Valley Farms has sidewalks you could run along. The ATT runs along the eastern side of the community.

Personally, one of the reasons why I prefer Woodcroft is because it has so many miles of paved walking trails within the community. A lot of joggers appear to stick just to the community trails. The ATT is wider & less hilly than the community trails which makes it pretty popular with the bike enthusiasts.

Keep in mind that the American Tobacco Trail is still in development & stretches through multiple counties. In Durham County, there is a 7.4 mile stretch already completed & in Wake County there is a 6.5 mile stretch (although I don't think it is paved like the stretch in Durham). When the project is complete, it will be 23 miles long, but I have no idea when they hope to complete the project. Perhaps if you compare the ATT map to the maps on the local real estate websites, you'll find some more neighborhoods that will suit your needs. The map for the ATT is broken up into 2 pages. Here are the PDF documents.
http://www.triangletrails.org/images/Map1-2-rules1.pdf (broken link)
http://www.triangletrails.org/images/Map3-4-rules1.pdf (broken link)
The people at the American Tobacco Trail's administrative offices might be able to offer you more information.
American Tobacco Trail
Administrative Office
2112 County Park Drive
New Hill, NC 27562
Telephone: 919-387-2117
Fax: 919-387-4349

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:42 PM

6 posts, read 17,637 times
Thanks MrsSteel. I hadn't taken the potential bike traffic into consideration when I had considered the Tobacco Trail. Sounds like runners might prefer the trails within Woodcroft or potentially the Southern part of the Tobacco Trail that is below highway 40. I've read that this is more rugged and thus has less bikers.

If anyone knows of the neighborhoods down there that I should consider, I'd love to hear about it as I'll be coming out to the area the first week of March to start looking for a place to live for my family and I.

Thanks for the help

Old 02-16-2009, 10:38 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanovation View Post
Thanks MrsSteel. I hadn't taken the potential bike traffic into consideration when I had considered the Tobacco Trail. Sounds like runners might prefer the trails within Woodcroft or potentially the Southern part of the Tobacco Trail that is below highway 40. I've read that this is more rugged and thus has less bikers.

If anyone knows of the neighborhoods down there that I should consider, I'd love to hear about it as I'll be coming out to the area the first week of March to start looking for a place to live for my family and I.

Thanks for the help
I've walk the ATT and don't see a conflict of cyclists and runners. It's a wide path so it can easily accomodate both runners and cyclists, imho.

I live in South Durham (South of Southpoint). At Herndon Park in Durham you can access the Am Tobacco Trail. Herndon Park is near the corner of Herndon Rd and Scott King Rd. There are many neighborhoods along Herndon Rd. While we can not directly access the tobacco trail (w/out tresspasses on private property), it is very close. I've riden my bike down Herndon to get to the trail head at Herndon Park. I see lots of folks run down Herndon to get to the trail head too. Depending on the neighborhood along Herndon it's about a 1 mile or less to the trail head.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:58 PM
RGD

1 posts, read 2,362 times
Hi I am a Home Builder here in Durham. I was on this site looking for a
Vacant building Lot in a certain neighborhood, for a Home buyer we have.
I came across your Post and couldn't help but reply. 1st you are Absolutly right on the money about Cary developments being Marketed primarily to the transplants coming in. 2nd though I don't have any pictures of Woodcroft I did live there, and it was and still is a great neighborhood. also if I can be of any help to you and your husband
let me know and I'll give you all my phone number, free advice on the area
never hurts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary