Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:18 AM

645 posts, read 1,503,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picaflora View Post
The rain seemed to be melting the slush as I was coming in around 9:30/10 this morning.

And for the record... the brine DID work. Driving down Knightdale Blvd this morning you could clearly tell where the road was treated and where they stopped. It went from slush to sheet of ice.
Again now the brine is washed off the road .3 of rain it needs to be salted now and sand put down but alas they do not have enough material to do that. what good are main roads being good with your neighborhood and secondary two lane country roads not touched?? Gang it snows it gets icy down here time for towns to pony up and spend money on snow and ice melt. It might mean taxes might go up 100 dollars a year per household but one accident and a 1000 dollar collision deductable and well you might get the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 09:28 AM

17 posts, read 26,436 times
I'm wondering how things will progress later this afternoon and into the evening. I'm supposed to be in Raleigh (from Durham) from 3-7 p.m. Is it going to re-freeze and be a mess at night? Mainly worried about the hills right outside my neighborhood.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:47 AM

4,263 posts, read 4,715,503 times
My wife made it from north Raleigh to Burlington at sunrise with no problems. I have no complaints with NCDOT.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:50 AM

406 posts, read 787,982 times
Why don't they just use Salt? Its stays on the road and continues to work.

This Brine thing seems to me a waste of time and resources.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:58 AM

49 posts, read 146,862 times
Capital from Wake Forest to North Raleigh was fine this morning.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:00 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
Why don't they just use Salt? Its stays on the road and continues to work.

This Brine thing seems to me a waste of time and resources.
The brine offers the ability to pre treat. Salt has to be applied after the precip starts or it blows off the road surface. So, with limited resources, it allows DOT to get a jump on things.

A few years ago Maryland had a pilot program where they added molasses to the brine for better stick ... I'm serious ..

Edit : looks like it worked - I wonder if it attracts wildlife?

http://www.tbd.com/blogs/weather/2010/12/a-6043.html

Frank

Old 12-16-2010, 10:51 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
I hear the NCDOT has plans unleash their secret weapon to address the next winter weather event. They plan to harness all the Hot Air from the blowhards on city-data and use it to melt the ice on the Triangle area roads. There are concerns however, that the copious amounts of Hot Air from this forum may actually cause the asphalt to melt too.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:22 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I hear the NCDOT has plans unleash their secret weapon to address the next winter weather event. They plan to harness all the Hot Air from the blowhards on city-data and use it to melt the ice on the Triangle area roads. There are concerns however, that the copious amounts of Hot Air from this forum may actually cause the asphalt to melt too.
North Raleigh Guy for PRESIDENT!!!

Vicki

Old 12-16-2010, 11:29 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmrl View Post
I'm wondering how things will progress later this afternoon and into the evening. I'm supposed to be in Raleigh (from Durham) from 3-7 p.m. Is it going to re-freeze and be a mess at night? Mainly worried about the hills right outside my neighborhood.
The temps will be steadily rising throughout the afternoon and evening, so thnkfully once it gets above freezing, it will stay that way. That's a real blessing, since this particular stuff would be horrid if it refroze.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:45 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,891 times
I liked the DOT Engineer interview on WRAL this morning around 8am. They asked him how this was effecting the budget of the DOT with this happening so early in the year, he said: our number one job is to get the roads safe, we will worry about the budget later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary