Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:47 PM

140 posts, read 676,373 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm thinking of moving to Raleigh and I was wondering how you'd rate Raleigh in the following areas: Walkability; progressiveness; liberalness; natural beauty; access to fresh, organic produce; climate; and culture. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Oh... and do you have any issues with insects in the Summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 10:06 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Compared to what?

1 to 10, 10 being highest:

Walkability 4
Progressiveness 6
Liberalness 6
Natural Beauty (Falls Lake, Jordan Lake) 7
Produce 7
Climate: Like hot? 10 Hate hot? 1
Culture 8
Insects 15

Old 12-30-2010, 10:13 PM

140 posts, read 676,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Compared to what?

1 to 10, 10 being highest:

Walkability 4
Progressiveness 6
Liberalness 6
Natural Beauty (Falls Lake, Jordan Lake) 7
Produce 7
Climate: Like hot? 10 Hate hot? 1
Culture 8
Insects 15

Oh shoot!! Insects are a big problem? Like mosquitos or something?? I do hate hot. So you're saying 1, like it doesn't get very hot? I appreciate your feedback. I was hoping it was a little more walkable. I googled Whole Foods and I notice you have one in town, as well as TJ's. I'd love to live walking distance from them.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:55 PM

62 posts, read 65,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondHalf View Post
Oh shoot!! Insects are a big problem? Like mosquitos or something?? I do hate hot. So you're saying 1, like it doesn't get very hot? I appreciate your feedback. I was hoping it was a little more walkable. I googled Whole Foods and I notice you have one in town, as well as TJ's. I'd love to live walking distance from them.
Insects can be a pretty big problem. But if you get an exterminator out to your house you shouldn't have a problem with them being outside. And it's not like mosquitos will just come up and bite you while your walking outside, it takes them a while to gather around you; more like if you're sitting in your yard for a long period of time. Also I think they were saying "1" as in they don't hate the hottness. It averages above 90 degrees during the summer in Raleigh. But I wouldn't let these things be a deturrant, Raleigh is a great place.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:15 PM

If you like it being hot, it's 10, being the best.

If you don't like it being hot, then it's 1, being the worst.

If you live on a lake, like we do, the mosquitoes are at the ready from spring to late fall, ready to bite you; they don't wait to mill around. They're right there outside the door. Sometimes, my husband opens the door to let the dogs out, and the mosquitoes come in and find me, several rooms away. Seriously.

Here's one thread about bugs: http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...etto-bugs.html

The whole Triangle area is basically a collection of subdivisions. and it requires a car to for survival.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:22 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
My take (in general, Raleigh is a big area with lots of different neighborhoods)
1-10
Walk-ability 5
Progressiveness 5
Liberalness 4/5 (never been liberal enough for my tastes)
Natural Beauty 9+
access to fresh Produce 8 (lots of options between different grocery stores and markets)
Climate: 4 (too hot in summer)
Culture 7
Insects 15+

Old 12-31-2010, 05:40 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
This is a great example of how different perspectives can you different answers.

Walkability 5 - Things are spread out but there are lots of greenways that allow you to walk all over the place.
Progressiveness 5 We were actually warned before moving here that the Christian culture down here was 'not what we were used to.' We have, to some extent, found that to be true. Lots of techies, not so much on the artsy, academic side. I think Durham is a little better for that sort of thing.
Liberalness 5
Natural Beauty 5 - I grew up on S. Florida and have lived in Colorado. I really miss the ocean and the Rockies.
Produce 7 Plenty of farmers markets, WF, TJ's plus the almost year round gardening climate makes it very easy to get organic produce.
Climate: 5 I think it's too COLD here! Winter is way too long for me. Spring and fall make up for it. Absolutely gorgeous during those months!
Culture 8
Insects 7 - Nothing compared to FL. We don't even have bugs for half the year when it freezing cold! The minute it gets over 60* though, the mosquitos come back.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:43 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Walkability 2
Progressiveness 7
Liberalness 7
Natural Beauty 5
Produce 5
Climate: 7
Culture 2
Insects 1 with 1 being bad

Old 12-31-2010, 10:43 AM

OMG. If it was any warmer here in the summer, one's skin would fry and blood would boil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
This is a great example of how different perspectives can you different answers.

Walkability 5 - Things are spread out but there are lots of greenways that allow you to walk all over the place.
Progressiveness 5 We were actually warned before moving here that the Christian culture down here was 'not what we were used to.' We have, to some extent, found that to be true. Lots of techies, not so much on the artsy, academic side. I think Durham is a little better for that sort of thing.
Liberalness 5
Natural Beauty 5 - I grew up on S. Florida and have lived in Colorado. I really miss the ocean and the Rockies.
Produce 7 Plenty of farmers markets, WF, TJ's plus the almost year round gardening climate makes it very easy to get organic produce.
Climate: 5 I think it's too COLD here! Winter is way too long for me. Spring and fall make up for it. Absolutely gorgeous during those months!
Culture 8
Insects 7 - Nothing compared to FL. We don't even have bugs for half the year when it freezing cold! The minute it gets over 60* though, the mosquitos come back.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:22 AM

142 posts, read 283,642 times
Walkability 5
Progressiveness 8? - Not sure what you meant by this. We have the Park for amazing new r/d. We have a gay-friendly atmosphere for the most part, lots of cultural events... What do you mean by progressive?
Liberalness 7
Natural Beauty 10 -North Carolina is a beautiful state and so is Raleigh and the area. If you know where to go for natural beauty then you get even more of it. We have some gorgeous natural parks. I've taken to walking through the woods in the middle of the night in my north raleigh park to see all the stars and the snow and the frozen lakes. Absolutely stunning, it's like a magical otherworld.
Produce 7 - Lots of great grocery opportunities and lots of open markets too.
Climate 5 - Maybe it's global warming but the summers have been getting hotter and hotter and the winters are super cold. It used to be much better when I was a kid in the 90s. Someone older may know better, but in any case it's way too hot for me. But still that's no reason not move here, there's more than enough to make up for the heat and cold.
Culture 8 - LOTS of local venues, local artists, music, painters... there's a huge amount of it, especially in places like Durham and Chapel Hill. Lots of mixed types of people too, from all over the place.
Insects 5? - I hate bugs but I don't see this as much of a problem. A little raid or even an exterminator and problem solved, unless you're hiking through woods or something. Or as another person said, you live near a lake.
Restaurants 10
Crowdedness 5 and rising
Education 9 - I think Raleigh has been named the "fourth smartest city in the country" or something like that.
Expensiveness 5 - I hear it's more expensive than other places.
Things to Do 7 - Again, it all depends on how willing you are to find out what's going on around you. Lots to do though, always something happening.
Work Availability 3 - This is mainly because of the economy though.
Safety 7
Future 10

Last edited by Merboy; 12-31-2010 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary