Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:46 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times

Advertisements

Sorry, it was precise and funny, I don't give a crap where he lives or where his kids go to school or who he votes for. He's an actor, a comedian, and he did an awesome job in that clip!

Old 01-20-2011, 05:03 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I'm not going to do any homework but I'm going to assume it is similar to Long Island schools. For example, you have a school district such as Garden City (price for starter home = 600K) about 2 miles from Hempstead (overrun by gangs, murders occur on school property). And of course everybody raves about how good Long Island schools are (and many really are).

It does seem strange to me that the media is paying so much attention to Wake schools when there are far worse situations being ignored, or worse, applauded.
I said long ago that giving that Tea Party speech on April 15 2009 was a big mistake that would come back and haunt Tedesco and Wake. We now have for the nation to see what happens when an elected official proclaims their Tea Party roots and how they have taken over a school system and what their agenda is. Tedesco proclaimed that on April 15 and now he has his wish and is becoming a national icon. It is interesting that the board chairman was not mentioned in the Colbert piece but Tedesco was. He is the media personality for better or worse and has now become the face of Wake County. There are other board members who have voted in a similar way to Tedesco yet they have been able to remain outside of mass media scrutiny. Perhaps it is the man and not the politics that is at play here.

As others have learned with social media and You Tube. It can go viral and remain there for a very long time. I would agree that his housing foreclosure is personal, however it appears there could be another story evolving there from what another poster said the records indicate.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:04 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Sorry, it was precise and funny, I don't give a crap where he lives or where his kids go to school or who he votes for. He's an actor, a comedian, and he did an awesome job in that clip!
Sorta like GB for some.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:47 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
It WAS funny, and it was precise, and he said it more concisely than a room full of politicians (or bloggers!) could ever do it...

My sincere hope its that his comedy sketch will give our leaders pause so that they will work to preserve the wonderful things that have been done in Wake... the things that made this county an example to the country of the goals that should be set for school systems.

BUT... I do care where Colbert comes from. I care because he is a northerner expressing outrage over the backward south... and yet, the schools in the NY-Metro area- his community... my former community... are the most segregated in the country!

I am someone who moved here with my eyes open, in full support of the goals of the system. I loved the idea of year-round schools- an efficient concept... and magnets- allowing "bells & whistles" to be available to any kid in the area.

And as I hear it, this all worked pretty well in the '80's and '90's, until the growth outstripped the budget and building plans!

So here's hoping Mr. Tata will have seen Colbert, and maybe he is lurking here and on the N & O boards, and will work to preserve what is good in Wake.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
BUT... I do care where Colbert comes from. I care because he is a northerner expressing outrage over the backward south...
Colbert is from Charleston SC.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:22 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Colbert is from Charleston SC.
But... he lives in Montclair! His kids aren't going to school in Newark!

Old 01-20-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
But... he lives in Montclair! His kids aren't going to school in Newark!
True. And his family was rather privileged in Charleston - even sending some kids to an upper class private school in Connecticut. But as a Charlestonian, I don't think he would fall into the category of a northerner painting the south as backward.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:47 PM

351 posts, read 770,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
But as a Charlestonian, I don't think he would fall into the category of a northerner painting the south as backward.
Well, I wasn't going to go there, but I need to point out a couple of facts.

Colbert is from DC and moved to Charleston during his childhood. The following excerpt is from Colbert's interview with Morley Safer on 60 Minutes on 4/30/06.

"At a very young age, I decided I was not gonna have a southern accent. Because people, when I was a kid watching TV, if you wanted to use a shorthand that someone was stupid, you gave the character a southern accent."

He sounds like a real genuine person who can surely can offer America a credible opinion of Wake County.

Last edited by byebyenortheast; 01-20-2011 at 12:56 PM..

Old 01-20-2011, 01:18 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
Quote:
It WAS funny, and it was precise, and he said it more concisely than a room full of politicians (or bloggers!) could ever do it...

My sincere hope its that his comedy sketch will give our leaders pause so that they will work to preserve the wonderful things that have been done in Wake... the things that made this county an example to the country of the goals that should be set for school systems.

BUT... I do care where Colbert comes from. I care because he is a northerner expressing outrage over the backward south... and yet, the schools in the NY-Metro area- his community... my former community... are the most segregated in the country!

I am someone who moved here with my eyes open, in full support of the goals of the system. I loved the idea of year-round schools- an efficient concept... and magnets- allowing "bells & whistles" to be available to any kid in the area.

And as I hear it, this all worked pretty well in the '80's and '90's, until the growth outstripped the budget and building plans!

So here's hoping Mr. Tata will have seen Colbert, and maybe he is lurking here and on the N & O boards, and will work to preserve what is good in Wake.
Please explain how the schools are segregated. Do the black kids who live in town go to a separate school? Are they bussed to a different town?

Old 01-20-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Please explain how the schools are segregated. Do the black kids who live in town go to a separate school? Are they bussed to a different town?
Might be worth noting that there are two types of segregation: de jure (by law) and de facto (by fact). While de jure segregation has been the subject of much litigation and many court-ordered remedies, de facto segregation has generally been beyond the reach of the courts. (See, e.g., the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Milliken v. Bradley.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary