Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,753 times

Advertisements

I am a teacher of young children and I am doing a project regarding the North Wake Landfill District Park and would love your feedback:
I am partnering with Wake Gov. and my project is to create informational signs explaining about the landfill's conversion to a park. I'm focusing on just the "mountain" even tho the park actually includes a playground which can be seen from the top of the mountain, a few multi-use trails, and plans are in the works for more development for public use)
Please post questions you (and especially your children) would like answered about the park and any other suggestions you have for public info!!! THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 02:30 PM

645 posts, read 989,513 times
Great idea, jed. I really like this park (been a couple times). Reminds me of Mt. Trashmore up in VA Beach - which actually has signs along a walking trail that discuss the history of the landfill and the conversion to a park. Signage describing the history of the N Raleigh landfill and the conversion process to a park would be a start.

Another thing I thought of was to provide some background info to help dispel some of the mistaken beliefs that the landfill was used to dump hazardous waste or materials. I think some people don't think the park is safe because of this. Perhaps some information about the type of garbage that was dumped there and about the decomposition process would be good. Also, some scientific information about the safety of the park, etc. I think you know what I mean.

Also, my son likes the big pipe torch in the back of the park that burns the methane gas. I would think some information about the methane gas collection and burning process would be very interesting. Perhaps a description of some of the pipes on the actual mountain, also.

Good luck with this!

Old 01-17-2011, 04:02 PM

569 posts, read 1,979,300 times
I also think info about methane control and extraction would be very interesting. I was living in Winston Salem in 1969 when the National Guard Armory exploded due to methane buildup from the landfill there. Several Guardsmen lost their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary