Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 05:53 AM

15 posts, read 38,227 times

Advertisements

txtonc,

if you have not, you should also check out Highcroft Village (next to Highcroft) only half mile from Cameron Pond. They have a few large cul-de-sac lots, couple are larger than half acre in a quiet corner where the same set of custom builders offer custom homes - Wardson, Bluepoint, Impact, etc. Unlike Cameron Pond and Highcroft, HV is far away from 540 highway, and no lawsuit issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 03:44 PM

15 posts, read 38,227 times
I was driving by last weekend inside CPond, and see that all remaining lots (except a handful) are on sale with a John Wieland signs! Has CP turned into a tract-home (though JW is usually considered high end) community from custom?

Old 05-25-2011, 04:44 PM

513 posts, read 1,605,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcityguy View Post
I was driving by last weekend inside CPond, and see that all remaining lots (except a handful) are on sale with a John Wieland signs! Has CP turned into a tract-home (though JW is usually considered high end) community from custom?

thats whats happening to all of the higher end neighborhoods that didnt sell...waterford, cameron pond, hilliard forest, hasentree

Old 05-25-2011, 06:05 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshallen View Post
thats whats happening to all of the higher end neighborhoods that didnt sell...waterford, cameron pond, hilliard forest, hasentree
You'd hafta pay me to move out there. The noise is going to be deafening.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,746 times
As a four-year resident of Cameron Pond, I can tell you that the Shires and the Manors have two distinct environments, separated by Carpenter Fire Station Rd. The Shires have smaller lots. The lots are more spacious in the Manors, and a few back up to the pond. They both happen to share the pool & playground, which is on the Manors side. The Shires folks are much more affected by the highway. Some of the Manors residents joined in the lawsuit, but most of the homes on this side are not affected by the highway. Most of them have no view of the power lines, as far as noise concerns - no more than any other West Cary neighborhood.

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that the quality of the older homes is superior to the new construction- and I am in full agreement. Many of us built with high-end custom builders. I disagree with anyone who feels that this neighborhood should be avoided. Our water-front property with a beautiful garden has been nothing short of a tranquil paradise for us. Unfortunately, we have to relocate for work reasons.

There are other high-end resale homes available in this neighborhood, built by companies well known for their quality.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-27-2011 at 01:11 PM..

Old 05-27-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_va View Post
As a four-year resident of Cameron Pond, I can tell you that the Shires and the Manors have two distinct environments, separated by Carpenter Fire Station Rd. The Shires have smaller lots. The lots are more spacious in the Manors, and a few back up to the pond. They both happen to share the pool & playground, which is on the Manors side. The Shires folks are much more affected by the highway. Some of the Manors residents joined in the lawsuit, but most of the homes on this side are not affected by the highway. Most of them have no view of the power lines, as far as noise concerns - no more than any other West Cary neighborhood.

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that the quality of the older homes is superior to the new construction- and I am in full agreement. Many of us built with high-end custom builders. I disagree with anyone who feels that this neighborhood should be avoided. Our water-front property with a beautiful garden has been nothing short of a tranquil paradise for us. Unfortunately, we have to relocate for work reasons.

There are other high-end resale homes available in this neighborhood, built by companies well known for their quality.
I don't doubt the quality... I've been inside a few homes over there, and I've been in other homes in other neighborhoods built by Poythress, Wardson, et al.

I just know that if you live by the pond, when 540 opens, it's gonna sound like a speedway landed in your back yard. It is THAT close.

Soo... love the homes. The location? Er. No.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:33 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I don't doubt the quality... I've been inside a few homes over there, and I've been in other homes in other neighborhoods built by Poythress, Wardson, et al.

I just know that if you live by the pond, when 540 opens, it's gonna sound like a speedway landed in your back yard. It is THAT close.

Soo... love the homes. The location? Er. No.
I have to agree with Meh! That is just way too close to a freeway! And with freeways...you're talking about noise day AND night....nonstop!

Old 05-28-2011, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,746 times
Some of the speculations posted here are causing more pain to Cameron Pond than the highway that is being constructed. These negative statements are speculations and assumptions. Of course, everyone has a right to their opinion - but please consider the harm that your words can do in a global forum.

Eventually, the highway will be a benefit for many commuters who live in CP. Yes, some residents will have noise. My experience tells me that most of my neighbors in my section will NOT have the extreme disruption that many who post here assume.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_va View Post
Some of the speculations posted here are causing more pain to Cameron Pond than the highway that is being constructed. These negative statements are speculations and assumptions. Of course, everyone has a right to their opinion - but please consider the harm that your words can do in a global forum.

Eventually, the highway will be a benefit for many commuters who live in CP. Yes, some residents will have noise. My experience tells me that most of my neighbors in my section will NOT have the extreme disruption that many who post here assume.
If I'm reading here correctly, Wieland bought out the remaining lots in a place where you previously had some phenomenal custom builders. That's a sign for you right there.

Not that John Wieland is a terrible builder, but is he AM Ward? No.

The lawsuit hurt CP more than any comment I could make here.

Those rusty poles don't look great, but the folks who raised such a fuss on various blogs during the lawsuit screwed themselves over. I don't think you'll disagree that they also hurt everyone else in CP who needs to sell any time in the next several years.

If the original builders had stayed, I think that would've helped. They left because of the bad press and the screw over they got by the developer.

I cannot imagine any of them would've built so close to 540 if they'd known exactly how PE was going to take down the trees.

If the neighborhood had been shifted over just a bit, we never would've seen or heard any complaints until the noise from 540 started.

We briefly considered a Wardson home out in CP. I mapped the distance from 540, then found another neighborhood off 540 with homes about the same distance. I sat in the neighborhood and listened.

It was quite loud.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:02 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,570 times
There is NO WAY that a tolled section of 540 is any louder than airplanes flying over head. I live DIRECTLY under the flight path of RDU.

I think you are making the highway noise out to be more than it really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary