Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,992,219 times

Advertisements

We've got a 27-inch drop-in that we're not real big fans of due to the slightly cramped arrangement being three inches narrower than standard. But moving up to 30" would mean losing a narrow shelving unit we have on the side of our range. So I guess if ours ever dies, we'll be replacing it with the same. And it has to be the same, because there is only one 27-inch drop in on the market, made by GE. We'd have an option of white, black or bisque though!

Our house came with white fridge (Amana), range (GE), and microwave (Kenmore), along with a black dishwasher (Kenmore). Not a huge deal to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 10:57 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrank2109 View Post
Be careful about eliminating the downdraft. My understanding is that you will need some sort of exhaust for the house to meet code and pass inspection. The downdraft may be the only means available.

What does it mean to "pass inspection"? We have no exhaust fan, we had the house inspected, and the inspector noted it. He also noted the other deficiencies in our house, such as the steps to the side door that aren't the correct height, and the outlets in the bedroom that aren't grounded. As a buyer, you can get those fixed, get money back from the seller, or forget about them and deal with them later. Otherwise, no house older than 2005 would ever change hands. The code is always changing--the house you buy doesn't have to live up to it, unless it's new construction.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:14 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,749 times
Just a little info for everybody about GE. They continued to do business with Iran during the height of the war in Iraq. This is a problem for me because Iran was sending people into Iraq to kill our troops. Just think about that when you go to buy a GE product.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:25 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
Just a little info for everybody about GE. They continued to do business with Iran during the height of the war in Iraq. This is a problem for me because Iran was sending people into Iraq to kill our troops. Just think about that when you go to buy a GE product.
I'm not big on GE stuff in general. My refrigerator was just the best deal I could find at the time.

I have a hard time holding it against them, because unless they were funding Iranian terrorist groups specifically, why should they care where their appliances go?

Not wanting to get too political, but do we really even belong in Iraq? No.

Do I care about our troops? Yes. Absolutely.

Some of my best friends over the years have served. My first husband was a veteran of Desert Storm.

So, yeah. I care.

I just feel like we shouldn't be surprised that Iraq and Iran fought back against what really was an unjust, unsanctioned invasion.

And we all act shocked that the WTC terror acts occurred. To the people over there, I'm pretty sure our entire armed forces descending upon their country without provocation felt a hell of a lot worse.

/off soapbox

Again, not a big fan of GE in general.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:50 PM

445 posts, read 1,859,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
What does it mean to "pass inspection"? We have no exhaust fan, we had the house inspected, and the inspector noted it. He also noted the other deficiencies in our house, such as the steps to the side door that aren't the correct height, and the outlets in the bedroom that aren't grounded. As a buyer, you can get those fixed, get money back from the seller, or forget about them and deal with them later. Otherwise, no house older than 2005 would ever change hands. The code is always changing--the house you buy doesn't have to live up to it, unless it's new construction.
I'm not an expert on this by any means but I would think a buyer would be reluctant to buy a home without a stove exhaust. The exhaust is different than your stairs example since that can be easily corrected. If I eliminated my downdraft I would have to rip out walls and ceilings to install an overhead exhaust. Something I wasn't prepared to do, so I went with a downdraft stove top when I replaced the old one. Maybe I think it is a bigger deal not having one than it actually is.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:33 PM

5,893 posts, read 6,961,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
The code is always changing--the house you buy doesn't have to live up to it, unless it's new construction.
The house has to meet the codes that were in place at the time the house built or when any subsequent work was performed. A house built in the 60s doesn't need GFCIs, etc. If you do any electrical work such as put in a new breaker panel, it must meet the current 2008 version of the NEC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary