Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 09:19 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,598,569 times

Advertisements

I'm awake right now waiting to see if we are to be evacuated. We have clothes in overnight bags packed and waiting to see if we recieve a phone call or knock on the door. Apparently a little after 10pm tonight an explosion occured at EQ and there is a cloud of toxic chlorine gas floating over Apex heading east. I don't know why I'm on my computer right now but really can't think of anything to do. Anyone in Apex is urged to stay inside. They have already evacuated the Briarcliff subdivsion in Apex and may be evacuating more. We are just west of where the explsion occured and it's headed east so I think you're ok west of Kelly Road. They are setting up shelters in the Apex Community center and I believe Apex Baptist church. I just heard about this on breaking news on NBC17 about 20 minutes ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 09:51 PM

311 posts, read 618,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I'm awake right now waiting to see if we are to be evacuated. We have clothes in overnight bags packed and waiting to see if we recieve a phone call or knock on the door. Apparently a little after 10pm tonight an explosion occured at EQ and there is a cloud of toxic chlorine gas floating over Apex heading east. I don't know why I'm on my computer right now but really can't think of anything to do. Anyone in Apex is urged to stay inside. They have already evacuated the Briarcliff subdivsion in Apex and may be evacuating more. We are just west of where the explsion occured and it's headed east so I think you're ok west of Kelly Road. They are setting up shelters in the Apex Community center and I believe Apex Baptist church. I just heard about this on breaking news on NBC17 about 20 minutes ago.
See your "green light" so I guess you are OK. I haven't had news on but will check now....what caused the explosion?
Stay safe....

Old 10-05-2006, 10:05 PM

Yes, we are ok. They told everyont to turn the AC off and close the windows, and NOT to go outside. So it might be a little stuffy in here tonight. It was a little ways east of here on center street, just east of Downtown. We can hear the explosions though, still hearing them every few minutes. They say that barrels are exploding in the fire still. My son is a little is a little "concerned" because that is very close to Apex High school, and it seems pretty possible that school may not be open tomorrow. It was supposed to be homecoming too. Everything east of 55 is being evacuated, that's about half of Apex, but we are west of 55. The shelter is now Olive Chapel Elementary school, which is less than a mile down the road from our house.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:12 PM

505 posts, read 2,544,227 times
Quote:
Yes, we are ok. They told everyont to turn the AC off and close the windows, and NOT to go outside. So it might be a little stuffy in here tonight. It was a little ways east of here on center street, just east of Downtown. We can hear the explosions though, still hearing them every few minutes. They say that barrels are exploding in the fire still. My son is a little is a little "concerned" because that is very close to Apex High school, and it seems pretty possible that school may not be open tomorrow. It was supposed to be homecoming too. Everything east of 55 is being evacuated, that's about half of Apex, but we are west of 55. The shelter is now Olive Chapel Elementary school, which is less than a mile down the road from our house.
Why are the news people outside then? and the apex city manager?? lol

Is it really that serious? I am 10 to 15 miles east of there. Should I be concerned?

Old 10-05-2006, 10:23 PM

24 posts, read 73,642 times
Yep, we're far enough west not to be evaculated right now. Last I heard is anyone east of 55 was to be evacuated. My brother in law and his family live right downtown so they were evacuated very early and they are currently staying at our house. Staying tuned to the news...

Scary!

Old 10-05-2006, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
Why are the news people outside then? and the apex city manager?? lol

Is it really that serious? I am 10 to 15 miles east of there. Should I be concerned?
They are moving the news anchors further west every few broadcasts. I'm concenred now, because it appears that they are saying the threat is moving further west, it's already too close for comfort. All schools in Apex are closed tomorrow. This is the biggest thing to happen in this town ever. At least 15,000 people have been ordered to evacuatem, that's half of the towns population. The can't even get to the fire becuse it has so many deadly chemicals burning, so it could be a long time before this is dealt with. It's been burning strong for 3 hours now with no signs of slowing down at all. Downtown Apex is covered in black smoke and fallout from the fire. The sky is orange as I am looking out my east facing window right now. This is in all honesty the closest thing to hell I've ever seen. I told my wife and kids to go to sleep but there is no chance I'm getting a wink of sleep tonight. I have a sinking feeling we will be getting that reverse 911 call before dawn.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:05 PM

Quote:
They are moving the news anchors further west every few broadcasts. I'm concenred now, because it appears that they are saying the threat is moving further west, it's already too close for comfort. All schools in Apex are closed tomorrow. This is the biggest thing to happen in this town ever. At least 15,000 people have been ordered to evacuate.
I would leave if I were you. What can it hurt?

A waste treatment plant? Just imagine what is buring right now. And if it rains......holy crap! These chemicals could get in the ground water! I'm no expert though.

I think I will be fine here in Fuquay Varina for now. The winds are from the SE. Cary folks should watch out!

If this thing lasts for a long time, the rain could get here. That will not be good.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:37 PM

I'm definitely wary. The evacuation site, Olive Chapel Elementary, is right down the street. If that's where they are evacuating people to, I'd have to imagine I'm safer if I'm close to it. It will be a long night, and probably several days, in Apex.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:49 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,791,336 times
Good god! What the hell is going on over there? I am listening to Coast To Coast AM (as I always do at this hour) and a lady just called from your area explaining what's going on...You should tune it in! They're talking about it right now! 680AM WPTF in Raleigh

Old 10-06-2006, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Good god! What the hell is going on over there? I am listening to Coast To Coast AM (as I always do at this hour) and a lady just called from your area explaining what's going on...You should tune it in! They're talking about it right now! 680AM WPTF in Raleigh
Some hazardous treatment plant in Apex, NC exploded. There are all kinds of lethal chemicals on fire right now. There is heavy rain in the forecast. The rain could wash these chemicals into our local water sheds. They can not fight the fire with water because of runoff of the chemicals.

flames have been reported hundreds of feet in the air. So this thing will be burning for a while.

I'm just worried about the nuclear power plant near by......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary