Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:11 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,812 times

Advertisements

Kids, old people, average people, dogs, cats, squirrels are going to get hit by cars - laws or not.

That's how life goes.

I mean someone could get t-boned in an intersection killing them. Should we then outlaw driving cars?

Where does the nanny state stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 10:24 AM
MEM

123 posts, read 405,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexresident007 View Post
This whole issue arose out of a neighborhood dispute and a home owner upset about not planning ahead for a place for their children to play when they purchased a home.

Keep children out of the street and away from vehicles. Does that sound unreasonable?

This fight over one cul-de-sac has turned into a fight to change the rules for the entire town. Don't let the politicians fool you into believing they are thinking past November or that they will be at your child's funeral or hospital bed when your neighbor, who is late for ..., runs over your child.

Don't think that it can't happen here.

It does happen, it can happen, and will happen if the ordinance is changed. Open your minds and look at the make up of Apex and look at the map and count the cul-de-sacs. Tic-Tock.

2-year-old boy dies after being struck by car | The Columbus Dispatch

Student driver hits kids playing in cul-de-sac | KVAL CBS 13 - News, Weather and Sports - Eugene, OR - Eugene, Oregon | Offbeat

2-year-old boy killed by car in driveway - thestar.com
Really? You think the current law is keeping kids away from playing in cul-de-sacs? I invite you to take a drive through our neighborhood on any day of the week, kids are playing in cul-de-sacs all over the place.

This law is not preventing anything and changing it is not going to change behavior. I have talked to hundreds of people in Apex and not ONE person even knew that it was against the law.

Kids are going to keep doing what they already are doing. The police themselves told us that they do not enforce this law. They told us to go play in another cul-de-sac.

If you don't want your kids to play in the street, I respect that as your parenting decision. I should be allowed to make mine.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:17 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
^^ What happened at the recent meeting?

Old 06-04-2011, 12:24 PM
MEM

At least three, potentially four councilmen were in favor of allowing young children to ride their bikes on the sidewalk and to allow play in cul-de-sacs.

They wanted some more time to look a little further into the legal/insurance issues and to revise the wording of the proposal. The vote should take place next month.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:55 AM

258 posts, read 673,100 times
I'm not going to chime in on the 'debate" exactly, but being old (40) I just can't help but remember:

1. Riding in the back ledge of the car on trips, waving at folks...never worried about seatbelts, nor our parents.

2. Riding my bike, in the street, without a helmet nor any gear, and in shorts...jumping homeade ramps made out of scrap wood and seeing who could go farthest or highest...sometimes we would even taking turns jumping each other...pretending to be evil kenieval jumping 1 or 2 human bodies...yes sometimes someone got a tire in the gut....there were crashes and scrapes...no one ever got hurt bad at all...

3. we played hockey in the street (medium traffic, 30mph). we always yelled car. we got scolded for not yielding right of way

4. we rode dirtbikes without helmets

5. we ate sugar...the real stuff

6. we played games and built forts in the woods....we shot BB guns at each other and had wars...no one got hurt there either lol

7. a video game was not even a word yet...when PONG came out it was something rich familes had...i.e. not me....

8. cassette decks and radios had just come out....suddenly you could make your OWN MIX TAPE by waiting patiently during the "top ten" radio show with the cassette paused on record....if you were lucky, the darn DJ shut up and you managed to catch a clean version without his voice or station ID.....

9. cable TV was something brand new...again, rich folks had 11 channels....we had 3

10. We waved at the cops, who stopped and chatted. Back then at 11- 13 years old we werent possible thugs, theives, drug dealers...hanging out on the corner was something we did....talking smack and looking at the cars go by...We got the "stay outta trouble" speach sometimes, but our idea of trouble at worst was throwing snowballs at passing busses and some cars (admit not bright, but i was young, and it wasn't a rock like those kids thro off a bridge here in nc awhile back)

Man times have changed....keeping kids off the streets back then was just a given...if you brought up making a law about it then people would look at you like you said you saw a ufo...there was no problems then, no attitudes from us kids like today.

i hit a car with a snoball, the man stopped and got out, went to my house because i was dumb enough to hide in the bushes in MY own yard....told my mom and I got a lickin from grandpa right then, and had to apologise to the man crying with a sore ass...yeah, grandpa was old school

so what happend?

Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 AM

374 posts, read 1,182,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68scout View Post
I'm not going to chime in on the 'debate" exactly, but being old (40) I just can't help but remember:

1. Riding in the back ledge of the car on trips, waving at folks...never worried about seatbelts, nor our parents.

2. Riding my bike, in the street, without a helmet nor any gear, and in shorts...jumping homeade ramps made out of scrap wood and seeing who could go farthest or highest...sometimes we would even taking turns jumping each other...pretending to be evil kenieval jumping 1 or 2 human bodies...yes sometimes someone got a tire in the gut....there were crashes and scrapes...no one ever got hurt bad at all...

3. we played hockey in the street (medium traffic, 30mph). we always yelled car. we got scolded for not yielding right of way

4. we rode dirtbikes without helmets

5. we ate sugar...the real stuff

6. we played games and built forts in the woods....we shot BB guns at each other and had wars...no one got hurt there either lol

7. a video game was not even a word yet...when PONG came out it was something rich familes had...i.e. not me....

8. cassette decks and radios had just come out....suddenly you could make your OWN MIX TAPE by waiting patiently during the "top ten" radio show with the cassette paused on record....if you were lucky, the darn DJ shut up and you managed to catch a clean version without his voice or station ID.....

9. cable TV was something brand new...again, rich folks had 11 channels....we had 3

10. We waved at the cops, who stopped and chatted. Back then at 11- 13 years old we werent possible thugs, theives, drug dealers...hanging out on the corner was something we did....talking smack and looking at the cars go by...We got the "stay outta trouble" speach sometimes, but our idea of trouble at worst was throwing snowballs at passing busses and some cars (admit not bright, but i was young, and it wasn't a rock like those kids thro off a bridge here in nc awhile back)

Man times have changed....keeping kids off the streets back then was just a given...if you brought up making a law about it then people would look at you like you said you saw a ufo...there was no problems then, no attitudes from us kids like today.

i hit a car with a snoball, the man stopped and got out, went to my house because i was dumb enough to hide in the bushes in MY own yard....told my mom and I got a lickin from grandpa right then, and had to apologise to the man crying with a sore ass...yeah, grandpa was old school

so what happend?
What happened? One word, entitlement.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammester View Post
What happened? One word, entitlement.

sad but true...

Old 06-06-2011, 08:44 AM

oops

I meant "Radios with built in cassette decks" had just come out

I typed that radios had just come out...I am not that old

Old 07-24-2011, 09:26 PM
MEM

I am sure you all saw the paper today or last week, but in case you didn't...the Apex town council voted in favor of the amendment to allow children to play in cul-de-sacs or dead end streets.

As a parent I obviously want what is best for my children, and I would only allow my children to play where I felt it was safe. I am glad I get to make that decision, I am glad to live in the USA

Old 07-24-2011, 09:44 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM View Post
I am sure you all saw the paper today or last week, but in case you didn't...the Apex town council voted in favor of the amendment to allow children to play in cul-de-sacs or dead end streets.
Just in time for the 100+ degree heat! Nothing quite like playing on asphalt hot enough to fry and egg. My neighborhood is overflowing with kids, but these days seeing one of them outside on the street and away from the AC is about as common as seeing a unicorn gallop down the road!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary