Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:56 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,648,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrep View Post
I stand firm on my opinion on this subject.
That's fine, and I acknowledged that it was your opinion.

Don't tell me how to parent my kids, and I won't tell you how to parent yours. Simple, huh?

Kids have been playing in the streets, well since there have been streets. This is nothing new, not sure why the nanny state needs to step in and tell people how to be parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 11:07 AM

140 posts, read 298,345 times
This would be covered by State traffic laws, technically speaking, it has always been "illegal" to play in the street.

When riding a bike in the street you must obey the same traffic laws a car/truck must.

Do kids play in the street ? Sure, for as long as there have been streets.
The danger involved is usually proportional to traffic flow.

New laws are not needed for this.

Last edited by Offsetdude; 07-26-2011 at 11:17 AM..

Old 07-26-2011, 01:59 PM

519 posts, read 980,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badrep View Post
"Kids are going to keep doing what they already are doing"

Kids are going to keep doing what their molly coddling parents let them get away with. I think that anyone who lets their kids play in the street has parenting issues and should be made to take parenting classes! It is absolutely IGNORANT to teach your kids that it's not only OK to play in the street, but their RIGHT to play in the street. How ridiculous are people going to get? And the comments about sense of entitlement are correct but it comes from parents who think their little angels should have not only the area they can provide the little darlings to play in, but the whole wide world should be their playgroung. The PARENTS are displaying their sense of entitlement. I don't care if you live in a cul-de-sac or not, if you have a yard, that's where the children should play. Bikes, trikes, etc. can be peddled on grass just as they can on pavement. Don't want to mess up your beautiful lawn? Go to a park! I really wish that WalMart or Target would put COMMON SENSE on their shelves for puchase.
Back in the day for me, which was more than 20 years ago, my friends and I would usually play in the street waiting for the school bus. Throwing a football around or kicking a soccerball. We did this for YEARS and no one ever got hurt by a vehicle. If a car started coming our way, we yelled "CAR!" as soon as we could. Looking back, I don't think any parent ever yelled at us and/or no one driving in any vehicle scolded us. All the adults were probably happy that we were going to school.

All due respect, but bikes should not be ridden on the grass. That's what the street is for.

And for reference, my dad would kick my ass any time I got out of line. Growing up in a household where every penny mattered, my parents always told my brother and I we were never entitled to anything; we had to work for everything.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM View Post
Actually, our kids are still outside every day Hockey, wiffleball, basketball, dodgeball, they are out there doing it! I think they are nuts but they love it. We just make sure we have plenty of water and Gatorade on hand.

My son still hasn't opened the Wii games he got for Christmas!
That's so true: shouldn't we be happy that kids are choosing to be outside and playing with friends & socializing?

Old 07-26-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Me too! Maybe they could put it next to the antidote for self-righteous judgementalism.
Damn, now I have to clean the Gatorade off my screen.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:15 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,592,791 times
These "kids playing in the street" discussions are about as predictable as the "Why does everyone hate Cary?" ones!

Old 07-26-2011, 04:24 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,916,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
That's fine, and I acknowledged that it was your opinion.

Don't tell me how to parent my kids, and I won't tell you how to parent yours. Simple, huh?

Kids have been playing in the streets, well since there have been streets. This is nothing new, not sure why the nanny state needs to step in and tell people how to be parents.
I can see the drivers being blamed if anything happens to children playing in the street, why can't children play in there own gardens, or take them to the park plenty of room there or is it too much trouble?

Old 07-26-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
I can see the drivers being blamed if anything happens to children playing in the street, why can't children play in there own gardens, or take them to the park plenty of room there or is it too much trouble?
What happens if there is no one to drive them to the park?

I really don't see anything wrong with a bunch of kids playing basketball using a portable goal in a cul-de-sac.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:59 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,222,306 times
It's not just Apex....The no-kids-allowed movement is spreading. It's being dubbed the "brat ban".

Old 07-27-2011, 12:12 PM

9,131 posts, read 14,699,556 times
Well, a private business can ban anyone they want as far as I am concerned. As someone with no kids, I would welcome being able to go some places with no crying babies, but I do feel like Apex has it right on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary