Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:28 AM

836 posts, read 3,468,894 times

Advertisements

If you pick up a copy of the Independent every week you will see that there are TONS of concerts of all sizes here every week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 07:09 AM

351 posts, read 1,068,675 times
Raleigh made the top 10 Cities that rock. That's no surprise to me with the venue's we have and all the bands we get.

Top 10 Cities That Rock

Esquire magazine has compiled a list of Top 10 Cities That Rock. Cities were judged on the quality of music scenes, stores and concert venues:

Pittsburgh, PA

Denver, CO

MinneapoliS, MN

Raleigh, NC

Gainesville, FL

Fresno, CA

Cincinnati, OH

New Orleans, LA

Phoenix/Tempe, AZ

San Francisco, CA

Props to our home team - the folks at Raleigh's Alltel Pavilion! Whooo hoo!

Top 10 Cities That Rock :: Flying Frog Records :: The Best Players Out There

Old 08-11-2007, 08:58 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin' View Post
Raleigh made the top 10 Cities that rock. That's no surprise to me with the venue's we have and all the bands we get.

Top 10 Cities That Rock

Esquire magazine has compiled a list of Top 10 Cities That Rock. Cities were judged on the quality of music scenes, stores and concert venues:

Pittsburgh, PA

Denver, CO

MinneapoliS, MN

Raleigh, NC

Gainesville, FL

Fresno, CA

Cincinnati, OH

New Orleans, LA

Phoenix/Tempe, AZ

San Francisco, CA

Props to our home team - the folks at Raleigh's Alltel Pavilion! Whooo hoo!

Top 10 Cities That Rock :: Flying Frog Records :: The Best Players Out There
That article is 3 years old....not exactly current there.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:03 AM

331 posts, read 1,126,564 times
Quote:
I subscribe to Esquire and if I recall that article correctly they purposely excluded obvious cities like NY, LA, SF, Chicago, Seattle, Nashville, and Austin. Esquire's "Top 10" is more like "Also Rans".

Old 08-11-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
subscribe to Esquire and if I recall that article correctly they purposely excluded obvious cities like NY, LA, SF, Chicago, Seattle, Nashville, and Austin. Esquire's "Top 10" is more like "Also Rans".
You missed the point. Raleigh is obvouisly in the top 20 for concert draws in the country(including the cities you mentioned) and people were whining.
What do they expect? Also things like that don't change much in 3 years.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:32 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
You missed the point. Raleigh is obvouisly in the top 20 for concert draws in the country(including the cities you mentioned) and people were whining.
What do they expect? Also things like that don't change much in 3 years.
Look....you think there are great concerts around...that is great. Others don't and don't view this as one of Raliegh's strong points.

I didn't move back to an area I could go to decent concerts every couple of weeks when I had the chance. Raleigh just has too many other things to offer that I will live with a subpar music scene (unless you are into country or some sorts of college indy bands), but I am not going to pretend that it's great.

Oh, and yes, things do change quite a lot in three years.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Look....you think there are great concerts around...that is great. Others don't and don't view this as one of Raliegh's strong points.
I don't think, I know. I've lived in Raleigh for over 40 years and can spell it.
This wasn't my viewpoint, those cities were picked for a reason. You know nothing about the Raleigh music scene if you think it's country and college
Indy bands. And again, things like concert draws don't change much in 3 years. If anything the last 3 years would have helped Raleigh more than the
other markets since Raleigh is growing faster than the other markets.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:34 PM

190 posts, read 574,914 times
Quote:
I don't think, I know. I've lived in Raleigh for over 40 years and can spell it.
This wasn't my viewpoint, those cities were picked for a reason. You know nothing about the Raleigh music scene if you think it's country and college
Indy bands. And again, things like concert draws don't change much in 3 years. If anything the last 3 years would have helped Raleigh more than the
other markets since Raleigh is growing faster than the other markets.
Oh, please. Des made a typo, big deal. I do the same thing from time to time. And actually, it IS your viewpoint. No, Raleigh isn't all country and indie bands, but they do make up a good portion of it. For people wanting a bit more of variety or for people who aren't largely into those two types of music, there are times the pickings can be slim.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
it IS your viewpoint
I have nothing to do with Esquire so how was that my viewpoint?

Concerts rock and never more so than in Greater Raleigh. Recently emerging as one of the hottest live music destinations, Raleigh and Cary play host to a wide variety of artists in a wide array of settings now through October. Whether you see one show or a dozen, you're sure to benefit from having so many great venues so close together.

Experience the 17th anniversary roster of shows at long-time area favorite Walnut Creek Amphitheatre, or see why Cary's Koka Booth Amphitheatre was recently voted the nation's best small concert venue. Enjoy old favorites, like the City of Raleigh's Alive After Five or, the free, all-day, multi-show event known as Bud Light Raleigh Downtown Live featuring nationally acclaimed artists. Revel in the intimacy of smaller shows at the North Carolina Museum of Art's Park Theater, immerse yourself in the full-on charge of the RBC Center or take in the Progress Energy Center for the Performing Arts. The choices, and the range of musicians, are unique and varied.

Concerts Rock!

Last edited by carolinadreamin'; 08-11-2007 at 02:06 PM..

Old 08-11-2007, 01:50 PM

18 posts, read 77,816 times
From my viewpoint...my husband and I moved to Raleigh after living in San Diego and San Francisco. In our opinion, Raleigh's music scene is MUCH better, but that is probably because our musical tastes are not mainstream. We could never have seen Gillian Welch and David Rawlings perform in a venue as intimate as the Cat's Cradle in San Francisco, and we could never have been in the front row to See Doc Watson either. I guess it just depends on what you're into. If you like paying $75 a ticket to see a big name band, maybe Raleigh isn't the place for you. But if you want to get off the beaten path and see a great band for around $15 (and drink $2 PBRs from a can), maybe Raleigh will work out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary