Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,846 times

Advertisements

This is not to be political, but I am a "right" winger and didn't mind the guy so much. Who do you'll think would make a good Mayor?

I hope John Kane will run. His N. Hills development has done the city very well and those around it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 04:05 PM

7 posts, read 39,440 times
It is a not-very-well-kept-secret among employees at WakeMed that Bill Atkinson, the Chief Executive Officer of WakeMed, is interested and is considering a run for Mayor.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:23 PM

814 posts, read 2,007,444 times
City Council Member Nancy McFarlane has already announced her candidacy.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:32 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Has John Kane expressed any interest? I don't follow him so I have no idea how real a possibility that is. I'm interested to hear what Nancy McFarlane is all about.

I'll miss mayor Meeker. I found him to be a good Mayor in the 6 years I have lived here. I've had occasion to meet him a few times both through work and on my own time and he always seemed engaged and open. He is alright by me. I hope he enjoys getting back into his law practice full time.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:01 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

I'll miss mayor Meeker. I found him to be a good Mayor in the 6 years I have lived here. I've had occasion to meet him a few times both through work and on my own time and he always seemed engaged and open. He is alright by me. I hope he enjoys getting back into his law practice full time.
I liked Meeker as Raleigh's mayor too. He was always available to the press, and I especially liked what he was able to do with bringing downtown back to life. He really had a hard time holding back the tears when making the announcement that he wouldn't be running again. I wish him the best.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:38 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan63 View Post
This is not to be political, but I am a "right" winger and didn't mind the guy so much. Who do you'll think would make a good Mayor?

I hope John Kane will run. His N. Hills development has done the city very well and those around it!
Kane has done a phenomenal job with North Hills and deserves all the credit in the world for it.

My concern with him as a mayoral candidate is that I didn't like the way he approached the use of tax incremental financing (TIF) for it, or the threats of a scaled-down phase 2 of NH if he didn't get his way.

Was he just being a rational developer, seeking whatever public support he could get? Sure. But his approach to the issue didn't give me the sense that compromise, consensus building and managing the discourse -- while lobbying for your own vision -- would be the front items on his radar, and I see those as critical for local politics.

But -- that takes nothing away from his skill as a developer. I have some properties in Durham I'd love to see John Kane buy and fix up!

Old 04-27-2011, 07:46 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,715,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm interested to hear what Nancy McFarlane is all about..
On the Council, McFarlane supported Meeker about 99% of the time. That should give you a clue.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:54 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,571 times
I'll probably support her then. There's a few people on that Council that seem to want to shoot down everything good for DT. I'm worried one of them will try to run. It's not like the mayor has much power, but still... every little bit helps!

Old 04-28-2011, 08:25 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
I can't see Kane running. He has had to step on too many toes over the years and there is a built in voting Block that hates developers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary