Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 07:30 PM

645 posts, read 1,504,479 times

Advertisements

They say no teachers will lose their jobs here in Wake County.... Last day of school today I was terminated due to budget constraints. Many years of experience. A whole lotta of BS going on. Raise a few cents per 100 in taxes so the schools will have a chance to educate the throngs of students that are in the district. ... Oh wait I forgot Republicans run the show and god forbid we talk about raising revenue to make wake County the best. You cannot do it on the cheap.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:12 PM

70 posts, read 168,837 times
I'm really sorry to hear that.

If you don't mind me asking, what subject/grade level do you teach?

You are right, the politicians are blatantly lying. Last week a Republican senator said in a press conference that there would be NO layoffs under their budget proposal. Sickening, truly sickening.

If it's this bad this year, can you imagine what it will be like NEXT year? I cannot imagine how much all of this is going to hurt our students.

ETA: Is there a chance they'll rehire you next school year a few days before school starts? I've heard of that happening to quite a few teachers in the past. Again, really sorry for you.

Last edited by beowulf_ncsu; 06-10-2011 at 08:21 PM..

Old 06-10-2011, 08:27 PM

70 posts, read 168,837 times
Also wanted to say, why aren't any of the layoffs in Wake County being reported in the media? I've seen tons of stories about layoffs in other districts, but none about teachers being let go in the WCPSS.

It makes me wonder if WCPSS is trying to hide something.

OP, find out if anyone else at your school is being let go and notify the media. People need to know the true damage this "responsible" budget is doing to our community and children!

Old 06-11-2011, 04:40 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,722,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Raise a few cents per 100 in taxes
I've been unemployed for a prolonged period; it stinks, and I'm sorry to hear of your situation.

The problem is, a lot of folks plead "raise a few cents per 100 in taxes": government employees of all types (teachers aren't the only ones being hit), Medicare/Medicaid recipients, advocates of mental health services, advocates of prison reform, advocates of improved public transportation, and on and on. If we answer all their pleas, taxes won't go up by a few cents per 100... they'll go up by dollars per 100. The public won't stand for it.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:11 AM

351 posts, read 770,739 times
Sorry to hear about your situation. I've been down the same road and it's the pits.

Unfortunately the tax situation is a result of something that's been snowballing for a long time thanks to local and state "leaders". They advertised this area as utopia with a lower cost of living.

How did the attract business to the triangle? Tax breaks.

Did they assess transfer taxes when farms were sold for development? Nope.

Did they assess impact fees on builders? Nope.

Schools are overcrowded... Stick the kids in trailers or bus them across the county (and lets not mention the lottery scam).

Traffic on Capital is bad... Oops, no money for expansion.

Etc. etc. etc.

So this has been brewing since the Donkeys were in charge. All the good 'ol boys cared about was stuffing their pockets. Now we're all going to see how the little people suffer due to poor planning.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:17 AM

63 posts, read 140,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
The problem is, a lot of folks plead "raise a few cents per 100 in taxes": government employees of all types (teachers aren't the only ones being hit), Medicare/Medicaid recipients, advocates of mental health services, advocates of prison reform, advocates of improved public transportation, and on and on. If we answer all their pleas, taxes won't go up by a few cents per 100... they'll go up by dollars per 100. The public won't stand for it.
The real problem is that everyone is happy as long as tax dollars are going to support their piece of the pie but are quick to want to eliminate any program they deem 'unworthy':

Let's cut some more teachers -- until your child is in a class with 30 other kids.
Let's close another firehouse - until your house burns down because now the closest firehouse is 10 miles away.
Let's lay off the police -- until you are the victim of a crime because of reduced presence in your neighborhood.
Let's cut Medicare -- until you're 65 and it's your only insurance.
Let's stop taking care of the roads/bridges etc - until you hit a pothole and have an expensive repair bill.
Let's cut public transportation - until you can't afford a car and have to leave for work 2 hours early because of reduced schedules.
Let's cut Social Security - until you want to retire and realize you have no other reliable source of income.

I think you get the point -- instead of being a government of the people, by the people, FOR the people -- we've become a nation of every man for himself.

I hope this teacher is able to be placed back in the classroom -- even if it costs me a few more dollars a year.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:12 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,690,901 times
Chill, did you have a terminating contract???

Old 06-11-2011, 06:20 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,953,492 times
I'm truly sorry you lost your job. But I do not believe schools should be immune from the economic difficulties affecting everyone else. I grew up during the Carter/Reagan recession years in a state that was hit very hard. School hours were cut, teachers were laid off, programs were cut. I survived. The world will not end because some teachers get laid off. Things will be tougher in the schools - yes. But they can still deliver on their core education mission.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:28 AM

492 posts, read 1,152,869 times
Can't just throw more money at a broken system and think all will be fixed. More money to the schools isn't the answer.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:03 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,292,246 times
Aren't all Wake teachers on year-to-year contracts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary