Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 12,704 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating my family from NY to NC. I have 3 children and their education is very important to us. I was wondering what are the best school districts in the area? What is a nice community for a family. We would love to have a great community fel for our kids. I am also a real estate investor and was wondeing if this is a good area for a transplant investor. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 04:24 PM

43,317 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpohal View Post
I am thinking of relocating my family from NY to NC. I have 3 children and their education is very important to us. I was wondering what are the best school districts in the area? What is a nice community for a family. We would love to have a great community fel for our kids. I am also a real estate investor and was wondeing if this is a good area for a transplant investor. Thanks.
The best school district in Wake County is Wake County Public Schools. Also, It is the only school district.

You can definitely invest in Real Estate here. We have a lot of investors. What nature of investment?
Industrial, commercial, multifamily, residential, buy/hold for income and appreciation or buy/fix/flip?

Old 09-18-2007, 04:43 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,062,032 times
I think the best public school district in the Triangle is the Chapel Hill & Carrboro School District. However, I think that a great education can be had in all of the school districts in this area. It depends on the sort of environment that best suits your family and your child's learning style.

Note that most of the school districts in this area are county-wide: Wake County, Durham County, Orange County, etc. The only exception to the rule is the Chapel Hill & Carrboro School District. It is located within Orange County, but is seperate from the Orange County School District. However, not all homes inside of Chapel Hill & Carrboro are assigned to CH&C schools, so double check this during your house hunt.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:51 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,696,596 times
I think that's kind of loaded question since we don't know what's your idea of what makes schools the best. Also, as far as investment goes, this area has always had very steady increases in home values. Approximately 5% a year. Some areas a little more, some a little less. I think that's one of the things that makes it desirable.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:30 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,173,593 times
Wake County schools are great but are under tremendous pressure from overcrowding. This may not resolve for years.

You might want to look outside Wake County.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 12,704 times
Ive been hearing allot that the schools are great but also overcrowd and out of control. Is this true? Are there area close that have schools that are functioning smoothly? I want to move to a area where the schools are organized and there are real estate opportunities. Can you reccomend anywhere?

Old 09-25-2007, 06:51 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,672,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpohal View Post
Ive been hearing allot that the schools are great but also overcrowd and out of control. Is this true? Are there area close that have schools that are functioning smoothly? I want to move to a area where the schools are organized and there are real estate opportunities. Can you reccomend anywhere?
Crowded, yes. Out of control? Not hardly.

However, think three times before you come here just to flip houses. We just don't need that here, and it's less likely to work. We don't have the bubble and especially now....people are more cautious.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:56 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,682,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
However, think three times before you come here just to flip houses. We just don't need that here, and it's less likely to work. We don't have the bubble and especially now....people are more cautious.
I've seen quite a few failed flips. Investors mis-read the area, paid too much to begin with, and tried to do a cheap flip. These end up to be overpriced eyesores.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:05 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,672,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
I've seen quite a few failed flips. Investors mis-read the area, paid too much to begin with, and tried to do a cheap flip. These end up to be overpriced eyesores.
Yes, the area just has too many options....there isn't a housing shortage per se even in the 200k to 250k bracket.....and there isn't just one area that is desirable (there are many)....those two options seem to put a huge damper on speculators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary