Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 12:19 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times

Advertisements

I put this in the local forum because I'm looking for suggestions as to where to get the work done, as well as "if it can be done".

Two issues:
1. The Auxilary Audio Jack on my Factory Stereo is starting to get flakey. The right channel does not work unless the cable is "just right". The car is a 2005 Honda Civic EX/Special Addition, it has the premium sound stereo with an aux jack on the front (bottom left). You have to get it "just right, or the right channel does not work.

This is very important to me because I mostly stream Pandor or Stitcher for my long commute, music is essential.

I'm sure that changing the Jack is probably simple, but accessing it is not. So who would you recommend to do this, and what price would you expect to pay. (Shops can feel free to DM me once.) FWIW, I'm located in Lee County, so something near Cary, Apex, HS, or Sanford is best, but I'd drive for great service, quality work and a reasonable price.

The second part of my question is that if I have to have the dash torn apart anyway (do I?), then is it also a good time to just have a Bluetooth system (for my phone) professionally installed? I don't like to talk on the phone while driving, so I would not pay a whole lot for this, but if I could do it for less labor due to having the other work done, I will consider it.

Executive Summary:
1. Is my jack easily fixable
2. Where do you recommend to get it done
3. What would you expect to pay

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:25 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Are you sure the problem is with the jack e.g. have you tried the device in another vehicle? I would've guessed the problem to be with the device. If it is the jack I doubt there is a way to fix it short of replacing the radio.
I highly recommend 919 Motoring on Spring Forest rd. in Raleigh as a consultation for the problems.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:32 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Are you sure the problem is with the jack e.g. have you tried the device in another vehicle? I would've guessed the problem to be with the device. If it is the jack I doubt there is a way to fix it short of replacing the radio.
I highly recommend 919 Motoring on Spring Forest rd. in Raleigh as a consultation for the problems.
Excellent point. I "think" I have it covered.

At first I thought it was the cable (wishful thinking), but had the same problem with another cable. I use the same device (droid) with headpones and don't have problems.

That said, I also used to run a Sirius reciever into the same jack, and never had problems either. (I figured it was "fixed position" so I just got lucky). As it stands, I have to twist the cable "just right" to get it to work. EVERY indication is that it's the cable, except that it does the same thing with a different cable.

But yes, good point. I will try a different phone or an ipod just to make sure. I'd hate to chase a "phantom problem".

Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
Excellent point. I "think" I have it covered.

At first I thought it was the cable (wishful thinking), but had the same problem with another cable. I use the same device (droid) with headpones and don't have problems.

That said, I also used to run a Sirius reciever into the same jack, and never had problems either. (I figured it was "fixed position" so I just got lucky). As it stands, I have to twist the cable "just right" to get it to work. EVERY indication is that it's the cable, except that it does the same thing with a different cable.

But yes, good point. I will try a different phone or an ipod just to make sure. I'd hate to chase a "phantom problem".

Try Shooting a bit of electrical contact cleaner in the aux hole while the system is powered down. You can get it at Walmart for a few bucks and it may work wonders if it's a matter of dirty contacts. Certainly worth a shot before you start dropping big bucks. If that doesn't work and you have an interest of going bluetooth then you may as well upgrade the whole head unit. They're pretty cheap these days and quite simple to install. You can check out Crutchfield to get an idea of what fits in your car and what features you want. Then shop around to get the best price. A BT head unit with an aux jack and factory harness converter can probably be had for $125 or with a little shopping around. Installing it yourself will take you a few hours.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-18-2011 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: New members may not post links

Old 07-19-2011, 07:04 AM

61 posts, read 261,000 times
You would probably be better off buying an aftermarket stereo that has all the features you want already built into it, ipod connection, usb, aux input, bluetooth for phone calls, bluetooth streaming, even gps navigation. I highly recommend crutchfield.com, I've been buying stereo equipment from them for the last 20 years, just installed a new car stereo last night that I ordered from them. Their prices may be a little higher than some of the other online stores, but they give you free installation accessories, (faceplate adapter, wiring adapter) detailed instructions, free phone tech support, and a very good return policy if don't like the stereo. With a few basic tools and wire crimper you should be able to install it yourself.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:51 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
^Or for a little cheaper price you could have the new radio installed locally by 919 Motoring so you won't have to worry about installing it yourself or having to ship it for return if a problem arises and support the local economy.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:29 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
^Or for a little cheaper price you could have the new radio installed locally by 919 Motoring so you won't have to worry about installing it yourself or having to ship it for return if a problem arises and support the local economy.
I am a fan of Crutchfield as well. I have installed two from them in the last couple years. By the time you add installation costs and accessories, I found the local guys total price to be higher than from Crutchfield. Installation these days is mostly "idiot proof" with everything modular and connectorized, not like in the "old days" when you had to cut and splice everything just to add FM and an 8-track to your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary