Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 02:51 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,154 times

Advertisements

Hopped in Lowes to pick up some spray paint and it wasn't locked up behind a caged shelf like they are in CA. How refreshing I guess in NC people actually buy spray paint to ummm paint things that are supposed to be painted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 03:11 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Hopped in Lowes to pick up some spray paint and it wasn't locked up behind a caged shelf like they are in CA. How refreshing I guess in NC people actually buy spray paint to ummm paint things that are supposed to be painted.
For the most part...but there are problems with huffing in NC as well as graffiti.....just not to the huge extent that some other areas have.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:32 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
They lock up the paint cans in Calif? For the safety of the paint can or for the safety of others???

Vicki

Old 08-11-2007, 04:37 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
They're locked up so hoodlums can't get it and *tag*

Not much graffiti in Raleigh, just a bit in some of the rougher areas (mainly in the less *trendy* east of town).

There is the element of inhalant abuse....I've seen kids behind buildings huffing out of cans or plastic bags with glue (grown people too sometimes, but it seems more of a teens-early 20s thing). A kid just dropped dead in Texas the other day huffing Freon out of AC units outside buildings. This is an issue in NC and nationwide.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:42 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
LOL! Reading that the spray paint isn't locked up sent a small jolt through me. I had the urge to run outside to check the house. But then I realized I don't think I've seen any tagging since I've been here. In Portland we yearly applied a sealer to our rock retaining wall in case it got tagged. It made cleaning easier. Fortunately we were never hit.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:23 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,189,137 times
Quote:

Yes, unlocked spray paint. An amazing concept to those who move out of CA! Definitely nice to not have to hunt someone down to open the "cage".

Old 08-12-2007, 02:14 AM

847 posts, read 3,523,442 times
Just make sure you've purchased all the light & dark blue paint you want before mid-March because it has been known to be locked up then!

Old 08-12-2007, 04:05 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times
another pleasant surprise was something I saw at the gym we joined (Gold's and it is a fantastic place if you're looking for one).
There is a board where you can hang your keys so you don't have to worry about them rattling around in your pocket while you work out! Just amazing . . I would have never done that where we came from. So many little suprises along the way . . .
Oh, I was our cycling with a club and we actually had turkeys crossing the road and I couldn't believe my eyes when a turtle was out doing the same thing. The cyclist say people are really good about stopping and waiting for them to cross . . but that's if they can stop in time . .

Old 08-12-2007, 08:51 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Don't totally let your guard down.

When we lived in the Mini-City area, many pocketbooks were being snatched from grocery carts. The thieves then ran over to Target to use the credit cards.

My wife had a package in her cart. We knew the issue since our son was front end lead at Lowe's foods.

A guy stood nearby eyeing the cart. My wife went to the wine display, picked up a big bottle, and held it near the guy as if saying "Do you feel lucky today, creep?".

He slunk off quickly.

Be alert. Brier Creek is having many thefts because of their proximity to troubled parts of Durham.

Raleigh's not Heaven.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:41 AM

108 posts, read 559,757 times
Now keep in mind all parts of California are not like that.....yes, paint cans are locked up but where we lived we never locked the front door, there was minimal graffitti, and we had no worries in the grocery store - BUT we did leave because it was just too expensive and crowded....everything you hear about the traffic nightmare is true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary