Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:39 PM

963 posts, read 2,411,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtta View Post
The drive is 2-3 hours. If you have a car, the train is useless, and the slightly faster train will also be useless. Spending billions for nothing.
I take the train to save on gas money, unless it's an emergency and I need to go to Charlotte right now (I live in Carrboro). I have friends here, so getting to the station in Durham is never an issue, and I have extended family in Charlotte, so getting picked up @ the train station, and having a car to use if needed while I am there isn't an issue.

Every time I ride, I notice more people are taking the train between Raleigh/Durham, Greensboro, and Charlotte - the Greensboro station is especially busy. And the diversity of people riding - college kids, business travelers, city-to-city commuting to jobs is increasing as well.

I once had a seat-mate who is an engineer with a job in Greenboro, his wife works in Charlotte. They both had gone through layoffs, so finding a good job was of some importance, and they owned a house and had kids in CLT, so - as a workable solution - he works a somewhat customized schedule in G'boro, and takes the train. I guess he was thankful to have a very good job, but he had no complaints, and seemed to prefer it to driving in and out of construction zones on I-85. I note a lot of travel between the Triangle and Triad - business and students both; lotsa students.

If high-speed rail is a little ahead of its' time here now, it definitely will NOT be forever. Our population, especially in the big 3 metros is certainly not shrinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 02:35 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,546,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
I'm not sure why everyone is focusing on Raleigh to Charlotte.

I believe that this is for better high-speed access to Washington DC and points north.

Given the current environment with the TSA it's only a matter of time before trains are more convenient than being pat down for having too much shampoo in your carryon.
Well, the thread title is why we're discussing it that way.

Good point though. I'd love to visit DC more often. If I could hop on a train and get there quickly it'd be a fun weekend trip.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:57 PM

257 posts, read 713,517 times
The only use I might have for the faster train to Charlotte is if I suddenly got season tickets to the Panthers games for some reason.

The better reason is that it's part of the Charlotte to D.C. (aka Southeast) High Speed corridor, and I'd like the option of a faster way of getting up north via train. According to the wiki page, up there it should connect to the Northeast Corridor, which would get to places like Boston and New York. It could also possibly extend further south like to Atlanta, eventually.

As far as why the speed upgrade is still much slower than other countries... most likely it comes down to money, as usual. And from what I understand it was a struggle just to get the limited amount of federal funding the project did receive.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:48 PM

4,263 posts, read 4,715,503 times
The SEHSR plan calls for 90 mph max between Raleigh and Charlotte. That's "Class 5" track in the nomenclature of the Federal Railroad Administration. Currently Raleigh-Charlotte is "Class 4" track which is limited to 79 mph. Class 5 track is maintained to more precise standards, thus the higher speed limit.

SEHSR does plan some 110 mph track (Class 6) between Raleigh and Richmond, Va. North of Richmond, it will be Class 5 again (90 mph max) to Washington.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:27 PM

487 posts, read 891,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boudin View Post
Since it's a large federally funded project...I would add years to the schedule, billions to the construction cost, and dollars to the ridership cost. If it ever is built, that is.
Unlike all those incredibly efficient private-sector projects we're always hearing about, that never go overtime or overbudget?

chwboy

Old 08-14-2011, 02:32 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,842 times
I think it is funny when people say that "rail is expensive" and everyone should just drive everywhere. We spend $4 billion/year in the state of NC on our highways alone! Add to that all of the costs associated with driving, maintaining, insuring, and storing cars and driving becomes very expensive too. Sheesh, China is eating our lunch on public transit which is already giving them a competitive advantage over us.

Another benefit of traveling by rail is that it is much more fuel efficient than traveling by car lessening our reliance on foreign oil.

NCDOT: Finance & Budget

Old 08-15-2011, 06:43 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
I think it is funny when people say that "rail is expensive" and everyone should just drive everywhere. We spend $4 billion/year in the state of NC on our highways alone! Add to that all of the costs associated with driving, maintaining, insuring, and storing cars and driving becomes very expensive too. Sheesh, China is eating our lunch on public transit which is already giving them a competitive advantage over us.

Another benefit of traveling by rail is that it is much more fuel efficient than traveling by car lessening our reliance on foreign oil.

NCDOT: Finance & Budget
It's not all peaches and cream in China. In story after story I have read on the subject, the "common people" there mostly forgo the high speed rail as it is too expensive compared to the regular trains.

Also remember China has 1.3 billion people (and growing). The US is what, around 25% of that? They (China) are connecting major cities that have millions of people in them. The cost to build a rail network is mostly indirect, by that I mean you have to obtain the land, lay the track, and buy the machines no matter how many people ride of it; very little direct costs exist.

China is also building out its rail network at 1/4 to 1/6 the cost of the US. Easy to expand when you can just take the land, and have no environmental studies hold you up. Tough to do that here.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:52 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
My biggest concern is how much luggage can a passenger bring on these trains? My wife can't go to Ikea without bringing home a truckload.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
My biggest concern is how much luggage can a passenger bring on these trains? My wife can't go to Ikea without bringing home a truckload.
Carry on is two baggage's up to 50 lbs each where the airlines only low up to 40lbs. No restrictions on liquids like the airlines have.

You can have 3 luggage's check in $10 per luggage.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:31 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
I'd think your biggest concern would be getting from the train station to IKEA to shop. If you can even do it, it would take you quite a while on Charlotte's public transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary