Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:42 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Nothing in California is funded, they have a $40 billion budget deficit.
Well last i heard its either near or half way , it was passed with a tax increase.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 07:34 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well last i heard its either near or half way , it was passed with a tax increase.....
Personally I for one have no interest in NC becoming taxed like CA, it's already half way there.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:10 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
North Carolina received the funding that Florida was smart enough to refuse.
I agree they shouldnt dub it high speed rail. When it just a basic locomotive .
If it reaches 110 it will not sustain the speed due to all the stops and travels in congested areas.
The average speed is anticipated to be 85-87 mph. Current passenger service in the corridor has a top speed of 79 mph, and an average speed of 46-48 mph.

We are not getting Acela or anything better

This is what we will get with its own tracks and that what we are paying for.

The Piedmont Train w/City of Raleigh #1792 - YouTube

I would be for this if we was getting this; This is high speed rail

shinkansen 700 series - YouTube
The majority of Floridians don't think it was smart to refuse the money for HSR. Our crook Gov. based his decision on studies done by two conservative think tanks. I hope NC does get some of our money.

High-speed rail is profitable, study says - Legislature - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/03/09/2106646/high-speed-rail-is-profitable.html - broken link)

Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Personally I for one have no interest in NC becoming taxed like CA, it's already half way there.
Well thats how Seattle , Calgary , , LA , San Diego , Minneapolis , Atlanta , Dallas , Salt Lake City and Denver are building out there transit systems with a small tax increased voted on and supported by the majority. Were lucky that we don't add a payroll tax like European countries do....

Old 08-24-2011, 10:47 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well thats how Seattle , Calgary , , LA , San Diego , Minneapolis , Atlanta , Dallas , Salt Lake City and Denver are building out there transit systems with a small tax increased voted on and supported by the majority. Were lucky that we don't add a payroll tax like European countries do....
I'd be curious how the population of those cities and the surrounding area compare to Raleigh...I'm guessing just a tad bit bigger. Just googling Atlanta they show 5.8 million in their region.

No one ever said trains were bad, just not in thin areas. Atlanta, is that a suburban area? No its a metropolis. Same with the NY Tri-State area. Raleigh just isn't that big, get over it. Hell I live 15 mins from the capital building and there is a farm in my backyard.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:55 AM

133 posts, read 393,555 times
I would love to see a Raleigh Greensboro Charlotte express train! That would be awesome! I hate driving between these cities... Cars tailgating you like crazy. Would love a rail option that was fast.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:04 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
I miss living in an area with a robust regional train network. I think it's ridiculous that I live near the Cary train station but can't utilize to for commuting to Durham. Not unless I want to spend an absurd amount of my spare time waiting for the train to come. I used to live in a town of less than 10,000 people that had a northbound train 12 times a day and a southbound train 18 times a day (big lake in the way for making an east-west route lol). If there was one thing I magically import into the Triangle it would be that.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:26 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
I'm sorta glad that California is realizing it's not in the financial position to be building an entirely new $98 billion rail line that would need to traverse such mountainous topography.

But I love that NC's railroad is quietly working under the radar with bits and pieces of funding (even with republicans in congress). I just read that several million in funds was recently given to NC and Virginia for the the segment between Raleigh and Richmond. It's only a portion of what's needed, but I predict that in less than 10 years, Triangle residents will be able to relax and enjoy a 3-hour train ride to D.C. and 6 to NYC. Both places where a car isn't at all needed. How great is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary