Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:29 PM

65 posts, read 191,933 times

Advertisements

The one on 64 is really slow. The food is okay, not great but not bad.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:35 PM

478 posts, read 2,045,252 times
Thanks. I've seen the one on 64 the most often and wondered.

I miss Mel's Diner in San Francisco.

Well, I miss most of the cuisine in SF! Used to be so easy for us to eat well and now it feels difficult.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:50 PM

134 posts, read 410,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT-X View Post
The main reason Americans are fat is because most don't exercise. The guy in "Supersize Me" gained 25 lbs in one month because he wasn't exercising.
Um, the guy gained weight because he ate at McDonald's 3x per day!!! Not because he didn't walk a bit more..... Please.

And the main reason Americans are fat is not because they don't exercise, although that is one of the reasons most Americans are fat.

But how do you explain the rise in obese kids? Today I took my children to the pool, and saw that about 20% of the kids there were extremely overweight. Extremely.

One 7 year old girl was busting out of her bathing suit, probably bought only a few months ago. To her credit, she was very active at the pool (sugar high?). Swimming, running, and playing for 2 hours, more or less non stop. Plenty of exercise! Except during the adult-swim breaks. When she sat beside her overweight mother and ate potato chips. And later french fries. While drinking a soft drink. Hmmmmmmm, I wonder why she's fat??

You really have to wonder what her mother is thinking. Why is she feeding her fat child terrible food???? Where is this young girl supposed to learn how to eat, in school? Ha!

Americans are fat, first and foremost, because they eat terrible food. Processed with terrible chemicals, filled with sugar and corn starch. Loaded with carbohydrates. And they eat HUGE portions.

And for some strange reason, it seems culturally acceptable for an overweight mother to feed her significantly overweight child fattening food in public. She might as well light her daughter a cigarette, the health effects will be similar.

But hey, diabetes can't be all that bad, can it? I'm sure this little girl will find out soon enough....

--JC

Old 08-15-2007, 08:22 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post

OMG I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants. Thanks for that!

Back to the subject, won't go back to the Remington Grill. Didn't care for their food. And all places like Applebee's, Ruby Tuesdays, Olive Garden, etc are out too.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:35 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,616,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChristmas View Post
Um, the guy gained weight because he ate at McDonald's 3x per day!!! Not because he didn't walk a bit more..... Please.

And the main reason Americans are fat is not because they don't exercise, although that is one of the reasons most Americans are fat.

But how do you explain the rise in obese kids? Today I took my children to the pool, and saw that about 20% of the kids there were extremely overweight. Extremely.

One 7 year old girl was busting out of her bathing suit, probably bought only a few months ago. To her credit, she was very active at the pool (sugar high?). Swimming, running, and playing for 2 hours, more or less non stop. Plenty of exercise! Except during the adult-swim breaks. When she sat beside her overweight mother and ate potato chips. And later french fries. While drinking a soft drink. Hmmmmmmm, I wonder why she's fat??

You really have to wonder what her mother is thinking. Why is she feeding her fat child terrible food???? Where is this young girl supposed to learn how to eat, in school? Ha!

Americans are fat, first and foremost, because they eat terrible food. Processed with terrible chemicals, filled with sugar and corn starch. Loaded with carbohydrates. And they eat HUGE portions.

And for some strange reason, it seems culturally acceptable for an overweight mother to feed her significantly overweight child fattening food in public. She might as well light her daughter a cigarette, the health effects will be similar.

But hey, diabetes can't be all that bad, can it? I'm sure this little girl will find out soon enough....

--JC
Your compassion for those with serious weight issues and the consequences is quite overwelming......

Old 08-15-2007, 08:48 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Hmmm...I see skinny kids eating the same crap, even worse. It's only that if an overweight child is seen eating *crap* it's horrible, but if a skinny child is seen eating the same food, no one bats an eye. I can't tell you how many THIN children I see at the pool eating cookies, ice cream, pizza and chips, right after the other, no one cares because the kids are thin (genetically) even thoug the same amount of damage of is done. I see parents tell their kids "you can't have any cream until you finish your hot dog." even when the kids are gagging on them. Blech.

Obesity is ramant in America, no doubt, I did my graduate thesis on overweight Children in Wake County (I'm a dietiitian) so I know the numbers, but it's not an American epidemic, it's global and a multi-faceteted, complex problem that cannot be "fixed" by eliminating specific foods. A small fry has the same amount of calories as commerical trial mix.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:49 PM

190 posts, read 574,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassy View Post

Chops Steakhouse in the 40/42-Cleveland School area. DH had a rancid steak there one night, chef said that it was the dry-aging process that gives it that "different" flavor. I'm sorry.. but there was nothing appetizing about that piece of meat, and it was bad! They also have been caught watering down drinks from the bar.
AHAHAHAHA....! So funny you should mention that place. A couple years back I worked there....for all of a week. The practices of that place where just HORRID! Oh, the stories I could tell....

Old 08-15-2007, 08:56 PM

134 posts, read 410,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
Your compassion for those with serious weight issues and the consequences is quite overwelming......
I would call the mother's behavior - allowing her significantly overweight daughter to consume french fries and potato chips between meals - bordering on child abuse. She may be condemning her daughter to a lifetime of health issues, including diabetes. Sooner or later the US will need to wake up to the health consequences of obesity, including significantly higher health care costs (increased diabetes, which is now an epidemic, plus heart disease, lower quality of life, etc.)

I have compassion for fat adults who struggle to lose weight, so long as they try*. I have plenty of compassion for overweight children, since it's not their fault. I have little or no compassion for parents of fat kids, at least when I see them chomping on french fries and potato chips with their kids.

--JC

*A lot of obesity is the result of ignorance - people just don't know how to eat well. They've been suckered in by the "low fat" campaigns, not realizing the amount of sugar they are injesting, and they constantly consume corn starch in processed foods. And to see these bad habits taught to their children is very sickening. And Americans also eat out way too much - getting back to the point of this thread - where restaurants serve sugar filled unhealthy food, and HUGE, heaping portions of it.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Hmmm...I see skinny kids eating the same crap, even worse. It's only that if an overweight child is seen eating *crap* it's horrible, but if a skinny child is seen eating the same food, no one bats an eye. I can't tell you how many THIN children I see at the pool eating cookies, ice cream, pizza and chips, right after the other, no one cares because the kids are thin (genetically) even thoug the same amount of damage of is done. I see parents tell their kids "you can't have any cream until you finish your hot dog." even when the kids are gagging on them. Blech.

Obesity is ramant in America, no doubt, I did my graduate thesis on overweight Children in Wake County (I'm a dietiitian) so I know the numbers, but it's not an American epidemic, it's global and a multi-faceteted, complex problem that cannot be "fixed" by eliminating specific foods. A small fry has the same amount of calories as commerical trial mix.
Good points Lamishra. The "sugar and carb high" that is so addictive to many of us is very difficult to kick.... as other addictions, smoking, drinking, etc. Although, once you have the sugar out of your system, even for a month, then you begin to lose the cravings, physically and mentally feel better, and eating foods that are healthier is not such a challenge....

Old 08-15-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChristmas View Post
*A lot of obesity is the result of ignorance - people just don't know how to eat well.
My point exactly.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary