Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 09:08 AM

10 posts, read 19,154 times

Advertisements

when I said "sales agent" I meant the sales agent for KB homes- so I know perfectly well she is trying to sell these homes- yes she did say the typical buyer is adding 10-20% in upgrades and she did tell us the upgrade list is about 60 pages long- I thought for the most part she was pretty honest when we asked questions- we actually ran into a guy who had purchased the model home that we liked and he had just added his upgrades and he said (in front of the KB sales agent ) that he added $60,000.00 in upgrades! and she was VERY QUICK to say that was not typical- We know we have to really sit down with them and find out what's exactly standard and what is an upgrade- we'll be making a return trip as well. I have to say our realtor who took us there was great- she told us we could "upgrade" ourselves with an outside person for much cheaper on most things- and the KB sales agent did tell us that they do use pretty expensive contractors so we will pay top- price for their upgrades- which I though was honest of her- I guess we'll see!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 09:24 AM

709 posts, read 935,436 times
Stand outside and watch the planes and the flightpath to RDU. They are Low and there are plenty of flights. Be careful.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya1114 View Post
when I said "sales agent" I meant the sales agent for KB homes- so I know perfectly well she is trying to sell these homes- yes she did say the typical buyer is adding 10-20% in upgrades and she did tell us the upgrade list is about 60 pages long- I thought for the most part she was pretty honest when we asked questions- we actually ran into a guy who had purchased the model home that we liked and he had just added his upgrades and he said (in front of the KB sales agent ) that he added $60,000.00 in upgrades! and she was VERY QUICK to say that was not typical- We know we have to really sit down with them and find out what's exactly standard and what is an upgrade- we'll be making a return trip as well. I have to say our realtor who took us there was great- she told us we could "upgrade" ourselves with an outside person for much cheaper on most things- and the KB sales agent did tell us that they do use pretty expensive contractors so we will pay top- price for their upgrades- which I though was honest of her- I guess we'll see!
You could get a far superior home built by a local custom builder in places like Holly springs and Fuquay for less money than at twin lakes. Even southern charm in the home.

They use the same cheap subcontractors that hire workers from the pool of immigrants living here in the triangle.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:46 AM

10 posts, read 19,154 times
Thank you for the unnecessary comment. Much appreciated.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:41 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
You could get a far superior home built by a local custom builder in places like Holly springs and Fuquay for less money than at twin lakes. Even southern charm in the home.

They use the same cheap subcontractors that hire workers from the pool of immigrants living here in the triangle.
But if one works in RPT the drive is insane from those areas. Aren't the one that is big of people living as close to their work as possible?

Are is that just your opinion in those threads where you can spread your gloom and doom in about commutes, but it changes when your negativity is about house building?

At least be consistant.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:10 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Watch our for KB Homes...you will put down a deposit on the base price of the home and then you usually have to go to their studio where you put down ANOTHER 10% based on the upgrades you are getting....you won't know the cost of your home until you have already put down about 15-20% (of non-refundable $$) as well as all of the other things they say about KB home upgrades as in the 200-300% markups they have on their upgrades. Most incentives they have are also based upon using THEIR lender and THEIR attorney. I have heard about 90% bad things about KB so be careful.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:17 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:

kaya, I'm glad you have your own Realtor with you. KB Homes, along with the other production builders make money on their upgrades. For example...to buy a garage door opener is about $100 and to have someone install it, $50 to $100. KB Homes will charge you about $400 for the same thing. And its not just KB Homes. This way, the buyer has the convenience of having the garage opener already installed and can spread the cost over their 30 year mortgage and the builder makes about 100% to 150% profit. Its just the way its done.

As long as you are educated to what you are buying and what you can expect, you will make the decision best for YOU.

Vicki

Old 08-18-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the unnecessary comment. Much appreciated.
Unnecessary? Hey its your money.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:22 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
My family looked at those homes and the airplanes flew over, LOW, at least every five minutes. So low that you can read the lettering on the hull. Gorgeous homes, but personally I can't take the planes noise. Make sure to stand outside for a few minutes before you decide to buy.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:36 PM

39 posts, read 170,151 times
Just FYI - when we were looking, we looked at the back of one of the sheets they gave us, and it showed the Airport Blvd is going to be extended to run between the pool and a majority of the SFH. I don't know if that matters at all to you, but we were a little surprised to find a major 4 lane thoroughfare was planned through the middle of the neighborhood. We did not end up buying there, but some of our friends did, and they are happy with their home. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary