Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 09:31 AM

248 posts, read 535,497 times

Advertisements

My husband had a job interview in Raleigh yesterday, so we drove down from PA with the family to check out some home rentals. We originally read a lot about Cary, but realized it's a little expensive for us. We really liked Holly Springs and found it more affordable. I've read many posts on here that talk about all of the people from the NE living in Cary. What about Holly Springs? Lots of northerners living there too? I just hope to fit in wherever we wind up. I just want a nice safe, friendly place to raise my family. We're originally from NJ but I don't have that attitude that most southeners find offensive. I also lived in FL for 5 years. My husband, on the other hand....big time Jets and Yankees fan. I told him he'll have to tone it down! LOL!!! We really just want to find a nice home for our kids, and want to feel accepted and make good friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 10:09 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,564,551 times
I have a client from NY that lives in Holly Springs and LOVES it!!! You won't be alone thats for sure.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:39 AM

108 posts, read 347,753 times
We've been in Holly Springs for 4 years after relocating from Massachusetts. There are plenty of transplants from the northeast so you definitely won't be alone. Feel free to PM me with any questions. We could not be happier with our decision to move here!

Old 10-18-2011, 10:43 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
You will find northern transplants in most of the major suburbs of Raleigh including Holly Springs. I'm sure you will fit in just fine. Good Luck!

Old 10-18-2011, 10:45 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,916,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sak9210 View Post
My husband had a job interview in Raleigh yesterday, so we drove down from PA with the family to check out some home rentals. We originally read a lot about Cary, but realized it's a little expensive for us. We really liked Holly Springs and found it more affordable. I've read many posts on here that talk about all of the people from the NE living in Cary. What about Holly Springs? Lots of northerners living there too? I just hope to fit in wherever we wind up. I just want a nice safe, friendly place to raise my family. We're originally from NJ but I don't have that attitude that most southeners find offensive. I also lived in FL for 5 years. My husband, on the other hand....big time Jets and Yankees fan. I told him he'll have to tone it down! LOL!!! We really just want to find a nice home for our kids, and want to feel accepted and make good friends.
I disagree with the oft-held characterization that "about all of the people from the NE living in Cary," for a couple of reasons.

First, if you like Cary, you'll like Holly Springs/Apex/F-V/Wake Forest and pretty much most any Wake Co. suburban town. Maybe Clayton too.

Secondly, and more importantly: from what I've seen, it's not just about being from the northeast, but from _what part_ of the Northeast you're from.

If you're from suburban NYC/Phila/Boston, I suspect you're right.

Residents of Manhattan and Brooklyn, and Boston itself, as of a few years ago at least disproportionately chose Durham County over Wake relative to their population weight. I suspect fewer of them are seeking a more affordable suburban life, and are more likely coming down to work at the Park or to teach or study at places like Duke. Didn't examine Chapel Hill at the time but suspect the same trend holds there.

Also, lest this be thought a Durham/Wake thing: my data source at the time didn't differentiate w/in counties, but I would suspect that just as Manhattan borough residents disproportionately chose Durham Co. over Wake Co., those who went to Wake disproportionately chose inside-the-beltine Raleigh or North Raleigh to Cary/Apex/FV. Probably for the same reasons.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,003 times
Default Come on down to Holly Springs

Been here in Holly Springs for three years and brought kids with us. Lived in PA and NJ as well as NYC. The town is filled with ex-northerners, especially from NJ/MA/NY. You will fit right in and tell your husband not to get too upset when he sees all of the Red Sox apparel being worn here.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:28 PM

831 posts, read 1,965,474 times
Between the BoSox and the Steelers stuff ...particularly noticed in the Holly Springs Walmarts - my husband was developing a tic. XD (OP: he is also a Jets fan, I'll tell him you're coming so he feel so lonely anymore)

Old 10-18-2011, 02:04 PM

294 posts, read 829,582 times
no, Holly Springs is chock-full of Yankee/Jets fans and not accepting any new transplants unless your allegiance is to the 2012 World Champion Red Sox (next year).

Now that we have that out of the way, I live in the area you're targeting. Lived here for over 10-years. It's nice but has a keeping up with the Jones' feel that has grown with the substantial onslaught of NY/NJ/MA relocaters (we used to be a one-light town in Holly Springs).

I've also noticed over the last ten years, many more people telling me I'm number one when driving. Such fans of NH2NC! :-)

Good luck to you!

Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sak9210 View Post
My husband, on the other hand....big time Jets and Yankees fan. I told him he'll have to tone it down! LOL!!!
I don't see why he would need to tone it down. It's all about college (ACC) sports here. So if those of us who aren't ACC fans can put up with that madness, then one more Jets & Yankee fan is just fine to add to the mix.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:15 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,104,523 times
We moved from NJ in 2005 and we live in Holly Springs! And we're die hard Jets fans with our flag proudly hanging on our front stoop!!! You'll feel quite at home here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary