Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:18 AM

297 posts, read 740,851 times

Advertisements

I was away all last week, but was shocked when driving on McKrimmon Parkway near Panther Creek yesterday to see all of the lovely young maple trees cut down in the median across from the apartments. Their trunks were all cut off about a foot above the ground. What happened?! Was it vandalism? They were so beautiful when I last saw them. Sad.

Does anyone know what happened?

(If this has been discussed, please point me in the right direction. I tried searching. Thanks!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 01:22 PM

232 posts, read 1,031,180 times
I saw the same thing this morning and was curious myself.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:22 PM

66 posts, read 337,335 times
I received this Town of Cary email alert... sounds like it is related? Quote:

To transition maintenance of McCrimmon Parkway to the North Carolina Department of Transportation, crews working on behalf of the Town of Cary will re-landscape the median at Highcroft Drive from October 18-21, weather permitting. Work will occur daily from 9 a.m.-4 p.m.; drivers should use caution in the area as periodic lane closures are anticipated. The work is necessary to meet NCDOT’s required median vegetation standards.

End quote. This seems to be the correct area of McCrimmon you are asking about.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:17 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buberry View Post
I received this Town of Cary email alert... sounds like it is related? Quote:

To transition maintenance of McCrimmon Parkway to the North Carolina Department of Transportation, crews working on behalf of the Town of Cary will re-landscape the median at Highcroft Drive from October 18-21, weather permitting. Work will occur daily from 9 a.m.-4 p.m.; drivers should use caution in the area as periodic lane closures are anticipated. The work is necessary to meet NCDOT’s required median vegetation standards.

End quote. This seems to be the correct area of McCrimmon you are asking about.
I got this alert too, and am I the only one who doesn't see where Highcroft intersects McCrimmon???

Old 10-17-2011, 02:27 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,992,219 times
There's a map on the Town of Cary news release page, showing that little stub is Highcroft Drive:

Traffic Alert - McCrimmon Parkway

Old 10-17-2011, 03:40 PM

66 posts, read 337,335 times
It intersects right by the apartments (Alexan Panther Creek).

Old 10-17-2011, 05:52 PM

379 posts, read 959,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I got this alert too, and am I the only one who doesn't see where Highcroft intersects McCrimmon???
Highcroft Drive will someday connect the small stub that starts at McCrimmon with Green Hope School Rd. & Hichcroft Dr. that is part of the Highcroft Community. Another note: it will run parallel to Hwy 55 crossing Carpenter Firestation Rd. too.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:07 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,826,711 times
The tops of the maples were dead, but they were putting up fresh growth from the middle of the crown. Fall colors were just starting to pop on the trees. I look forward to some new landscaping. The landscaping around Panther Creek HS stinks. They just clear-cut the lot and now have these half-dead non-native trees growing all along the edge of the school

Old 10-17-2011, 06:08 PM

99 posts, read 307,331 times
I got home after dark tonight but it looks like new trees were planted today.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:10 AM

232 posts, read 1,031,180 times
On my drive to work today, I saw the landscapers putting new trees in the median. Not sure what was wrong with the old ones....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary