Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:47 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,623,282 times

Advertisements

what if someone has a lisp, do we cut them a break?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 02:13 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Let me think from reading the forum I have learned that many people relocating here want the best school and brightest teacher for their G/T child. They spend big bucks to get the house in the neighborhood they want ( often based on schools). They go to meet the teacher day and the teacher says welcome to Geometry I am your maph teacher. Hmmmmmmmmm time to visit guidance for a schedule change. You think?

Old 08-28-2007, 02:26 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,091,054 times
Well, here I am in a town in MA with one of the best school districts in the state. On parents night, I can barely understand some of my kids' teachers because they are talking about report cahds, school pahking, taking turns at the bubblah, etc.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:01 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,173,593 times
Now, don't venture into brooklyn NY if you have issues with accents:

I wuz born in the terlit at the corner of toidy toid & toid. My mama loined me everything I needed to moider English.

We left when dem bumz (Bkln Dodgers) left for Calif.

Wuz dat poifectly clear?

Old 08-30-2007, 04:12 PM

820 posts, read 2,788,863 times
Let's not forget that "Maph" was HER interpretation of their pronunciation. I was born here and have parents who were born here on farms in Rolesville... pretty rural. We say "math".

Honestly I don't want to jump on your post but it certainly sounds like a dig to me. I find it hard to believe EVERYONE in one school would pronounce "math" in the SAME dialect.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:17 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,692,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
Let's not forget that "Maph" was HER interpretation of their pronunciation. I was born here and have parents who were born here on farms in Rolesville... pretty rural. We say "math".

Honestly I don't want to jump on your post but it certainly sounds like a dig to me. I find it hard to believe EVERYONE in one school would pronounce "math" in the SAME dialect.
I agree friend, that is why I asked if they had a mathematical physics (maph) dept.
They all cannot be pronouncing it that way.....

Old 08-30-2007, 05:28 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,855,106 times
I agree with the poster who said that if you hear "maph" or "axe" at Walmart then you just ignore it. But college-educated teachers have an obligation to speak correct English and this in no way reflects on those with distinct regional accents. People from Boston just can't help saying cah and cahkey (my mother was from Boston and I was born in Cambridge) but "maph" doesn't fall into that category. I would be horrified if my child came home from school telling me that she had "maph" homework to do when I had sent her there saying math. It is the same carelessness of people who pronounce the state where Boston is located as MassaTUsetts.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:42 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,692,210 times
The OP was speaking about a school in the Wake County area of NC. Pronouncing math as maph is not a part of a dialect I have heard in 14 years of being here. It could be 1 person, yes I will give the OP that. Maybe a lisp, maybe from a diff region, but all of them pronouncing maph.......that seems a little well, unbelieveable.
And I was and still am hoping somebody else who went to that school night can tell us their version. Or a Native to help me understand this better.....do some pronounce it maph?
Nobody is disputing people pronouncing words differently in different regions of the USA and even within the same state.
That was not the OP's intention. That was just others having fun,

Old 08-30-2007, 06:20 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,116,132 times
I'm a native and "maph" is not a regional dialect from here, it's a complete mispronounciation of the word. It is possible it could be a speech disorder though, I don't know.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:29 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,672,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I'm a native and "maph" is not a regional dialect from here, it's a complete mispronounciation of the word. It is possible it could be a speech disorder though, I don't know.
It could also just be someone hearing a different accent and thinking it sounds worse then it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary