Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 06:59 PM

11 posts, read 33,566 times

Advertisements

Relocated/ transferred here with fidelity. Leesville middle is supposed to be good? "Hi, I am your maph" teacher.. now, maph (math) was said by numerous teachers/admins at the school. Very different from little NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 07:08 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlake View Post
Relocated/ transferred here with fidelity. Leesville middle is supposed to be good? "Hi, I am your maph" teacher.. now, maph (math) was said by numerous teachers/admins at the school. Very different from little NH.
What? Your concerned that folks down here, in a very differenct region of the country that you relocated from, have a different accent then you are used to in New Hampshire? (Which by the way, has it's own unique accent.)

Now, please tell me I am misreading your post somehow and you really aren't shocked that folks in the South have Southern accents.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:42 PM

64 posts, read 177,712 times
Nothing in bwolake's post conveys "shock". So yes, you are misreading that post. And I didn't realize that pronouncing "th" as "ph" was part of the Southern accent. Don't worry, bowlake. Not everyone is like that down here. Anonymity can bring out the worst in people sometimes.

Leesville Middle School is in a great location and I have heard nothing but good about it.

I had the pleasure of driving through New Hampshire two years ago going from Vermont to Maine. What a beautiful area! I hope you enjoy the mild winters of North Carolina.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:48 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluv View Post
Nothing in bwolake's post conveys "shock". So yes, you are misreading that post. And I didn't realize that pronouncing "th" as "ph" was part of the Southern accent. Don't worry, bowlake. Not everyone is like that down here. Anonymity can bring out the worst in people sometimes.

Leesville Middle School is in a great location and I have heard nothing but good about it.

I had the pleasure of driving through New Hampshire two years ago going from Vermont to Maine. What a beautiful area! I hope you enjoy the mild winters of North Carolina.
If she's not surprized to hear words pronounced differently, then why post?

Oh, and yes, I've heard the math pronouced with a rather unique 'th' sound down here.....so, yeah, I'd have to say that it's a variation of a southern accent.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:40 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Hey,

I wuz born at the corner of toidy toid and toid at tree AM. My parents in Brooklyn taught me how to moider the king's English.

Dem bums wuz still playing ball in NYC bak den.

So, ya think the accents are bad here, Brooklyn welcomes ya.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:42 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Ya think they all had speech impediments???

Don't make fun of the handicapped!!!

Vicki

Old 08-28-2007, 08:50 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Not an impediment,Vicki, Dat's the Brooklyn flavor of English, yannow.

We were on the LL crosstown Canarsie train going from 8th Ave to 1st Ave where we lived.

The conductor must have been from Brooklyn when he announced:

"Toid Avenue, Foist Avenue next.

We pulled in to the station, and I expected the sign to say "Turd Ave" not "Third Ave".

Now, my Mom was from 309 Atkins Avenue in East New York, but had no accent. Wunda why?

Old 08-28-2007, 09:03 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
My mom is from DA BRONX and still to this day...30 years later...talks like it!

Oops...focus on the thread or the forum police will object!!! And usually Mrs.Steel is so much fun!

Vicki

Old 08-28-2007, 09:54 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
Hey yo, I'm from Philly and around here we go "down the suure", not to the beach and we put gaz in our cars so we can drive when our laigs hurt too much to walk.

Oh and right now I live in Bahstan and we all know what that's like. Have you seen my khakis? Can't drive my cah without them.-

Old 08-28-2007, 09:56 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Not an impediment,Vicki, Dat's the Brooklyn flavor of English, yannow.

We were on the LL crosstown Canarsie train going from 8th Ave to 1st Ave where we lived.

The conductor must have been from Brooklyn when he announced:

"Toid Avenue, Foist Avenue next.

We pulled in to the station, and I expected the sign to say "Turd Ave" not "Third Ave".

Now, my Mom was from 309 Atkins Avenue in East New York, but had no accent. Wunda why?
My grandmother (also from Brooklyn) used to talk like that!

Vicki, isn't this thread about accents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary