Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:06 PM

60 posts, read 188,999 times

Advertisements

Well folks, just what you needed another New Yorker looking to relocate to N.C. We are a family of 5. Father, Mother in 50's Two Daughters 15 & 13 and a Mother in law 81 yrs old. We are conservative in politics and outlook. (No, not all NY ers are liberal. So what will it be? WakeForest or Raleigh. I'm told Wake Forest is still less crowded than Cary. Would it be considered Red or Blue. I've had about all the N.Y. elitest snobbery I can take in this life. How are the schools and the crime (yes we are gun owners). Also how is the climate? We were thinking of Ashville untill research showed the city is VERY Blue. Any help you could give me in this regard would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 09:31 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Don't overthink the politics.

Live life.
That is what most people around you will be doing, anywhere in the Triangle.
And in Asheville, for that matter.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:22 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,628,311 times
A lot of the NY elitest snobs you dislike so much have relocated to both Raleigh and Wake Forest. You would probably have better luck looking at any small town in central FL or Texas.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:02 PM

38 posts, read 68,060 times
Shoot for wake forest. Also check out NCgunowners.com. lots of helpful folks there you'd get along with i think.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Unless there is a specific reason to consider only those two places, look into other areas such as Garner or Johnston county, if you are setting your stakes down solely on the politics (though NC as a whole is a moderate state, and most of the towns around the Triangle tend to be "country club conservatives" who are more conservative on fiscal issues and progressive on social issues), which are decidedly more conservative than Raleigh/Wake Forest.

Actually outside the Triangle area as a whole is much more conservative than the Triangle, unless there is a specific reason (e.g. job) putting you here.

Here is a breakdown on NC counties in the 2008 Presidential race (not a 100% reliable indicator of political leaning, but it's the usual way people talk about "Red" or "Blue").

Old 11-18-2011, 01:13 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac811 View Post
Well folks, just what you needed another New Yorker looking to relocate to N.C. We are a family of 5. Father, Mother in 50's Two Daughters 15 & 13 and a Mother in law 81 yrs old. We are conservative in politics and outlook. (No, not all NY ers are liberal. So what will it be? WakeForest or Raleigh. I'm told Wake Forest is still less crowded than Cary. Would it be considered Red or Blue. I've had about all the N.Y. elitest snobbery I can take in this life. How are the schools and the crime (yes we are gun owners). Also how is the climate? We were thinking of Ashville untill research showed the city is VERY Blue. Any help you could give me in this regard would be greatly appreciated.
Never thought of it in terms of color, but....
What percentage is considered too blue? After all the governor is blue so there must be a lot of us here.
Digression alert...does employment factor into location? I would choose WF because of its laid back attitude and bohemian feel (IMO). Though it is not like Carrboro at all. The old downtown is vey cool. The new and improved business strip along Rogers is great. Shuckers has an excellent steamers basket, enough for 2 1/2 people.

As mentioned previously, Johnston County is about as red as it gets this side of the state..

Just wondering, I own a few guns, what color does that make me? (NRA lifer)

Old 11-18-2011, 03:10 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,037,959 times
It is interesting that the red and blue come up, because I have lived in the triangle my whole life and after I moved out of chapel hill I have not thought about politics! Wake Forest, to me, seems like a great town, wonderful sense of community, a downtown area that many people are working hard to keep going and revitalize, very good schools, etc. I am sure my friends and I differ in the political arena, but it is just not something we choose to talk about!

Leigh

Old 11-18-2011, 04:03 PM

924 posts, read 2,104,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac811 View Post
Also how is the climate?
Hot in the summer, chilly in the winter, temperate in between. Sometimes rainy, sometimes dry, only on rare occasions snowy or icy. And getting gradually but progressively warmer over the years (but don't tell the "red" people).

Old 11-18-2011, 06:12 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,954,242 times
I live in rural Wake Forest, and rarely hear politics mentioned. People here seem more focused on family and community. And that's the way I like it.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:35 PM

60 posts, read 188,999 times
Thank You Maverick. I appreciate the info. I don't talk politics much and I don't want people to think I don't listen to different points of view. But when you've been taxed to death and been forced to deal all your life with people who think New York is the center of the universe you just want to live a quiet, friendly life without people trying to tell you how "wrong" your own values are. cadillac811
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary